Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Part of me wants to buy that new 16" MacBook Pro.

... And part of me wonders why the **** I would spend $2500 on a device promoted heavily on, "We went back to the 2015 keyboards that don't break and brought back the esc key."

As usual, (Since Jobs died anyways) Apple's main selling point is making their product look pretty.

But I'm also using an early 2015 Pro that's slowly but surely dying. :laugh:
Since Steve Jobs died? It's always been about looking pretty while being functional for the most part.

Apple has defined the tech world with their design. People complain and whine about it, but then those competitor companies also start copying and following them, so it's like...ok? the hate? Sure.

But don't think for a second that anything has changed in that regard, since the stupid iMacs in the 90's, Apple has always been about trying to look as cool as possible.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
How does it compare to the Sony and Bose noise cancelling headphones? While I like over the ear headphones, I get the issue most people do with them - ear pain/fatigue and the heat bothering me. So I have been using beats in ear headphones (the ones that have the plastic part that wrap behind your ears and are sweatproof) and have had them for about 8yrs now and they've done more than great for me.

But the new ear pods, they're about 250+ so if I am going to spend it on that, I wonder how it compares to similar in ear noise cancelling styles.
I wish I could try all the other brands. I don’t really have access to them, so I read and watch a lot of reviews.

The Beats Studio 3’s are comfortable, light, plastic, with ok but not great noise cancelling. Like you’d want to crank the music to drown out whatever the ANC can’t handle. I don’t find them hot, but I only use them when I’m stationary.

The AirPods Pro seem to be much better than the Studio 3’s for ANC, to the point where I’m considering selling the Studio 3’s. They’re excellent in all circumstances.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is there an app or way to make video playlist? Like I have a bunch of episodes and I want them to load one after another.

Do I need some app for this?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Going to get the wife an 11 for Christmas. Just need to figure out how to make it a surprise (I want to send her 7 in for a trade-in).

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
If anyone ever loses their Apple TV remote and needs a replacement, buy the SteelSeries Nimbus game controller. Far superior to the $75 Apple remote (d-pad > swipe controls), and you can play the games, which are starting to improve in quality with the launch of Arcade.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
thinking and probbaly gonna upgrade my current x to an iphone 11 pro. was still debating on weather or not to get it. but after reading reviews and watching countless videos on the phone. its worth it. but don't know which color to get. i like midnight green. but theres space gray/gold/pink. currently my X is a silver 64gb. wallets gonna be hurting Q_Q

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
thinking and probbaly gonna upgrade my current x to an iphone 11 pro. was still debating on weather or not to get it. but after reading reviews and watching countless videos on the phone. its worth it. but don't know which color to get. i like midnight green. but theres space gray/gold/pink. currently my X is a silver 64gb. wallets gonna be hurting Q_Q

What about it is worth the upgrade? Genuinely curious. Especially with the big changes coming next year. 5G especially.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
it's only worth it if your X is on it's last leg. Yeah, the camera is better and its a bit faster, the battery will be improved since it's new. Otherwise, it's the same damn phone and the 5G is coming next year. The thing about the 5G through and I live in Chicago, service will still be virtually none existant, especially indoors. I've done some speed tests with my current phone and it's around 100 mps down, 20 mps up for the most part.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If anyone ever loses their Apple TV remote and needs a replacement, buy the SteelSeries Nimbus game controller. Far superior to the $75 Apple remote (d-pad > swipe controls), and you can play the games, which are starting to improve in quality with the launch of Arcade.

Do Xbox controllers work with it? The apple TV remote is a bit annoying but I like that it has volume buttons on it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Do Xbox controllers work with it? The apple TV remote is a bit annoying but I like that it has volume buttons on it.

The second generation Xbox One controllers with Bluetooth do work with it. Pretty sure they don't control the volume though. I use Bluetooth headphones with volume controls most of the time instead.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Getting my wife the 128 GB XR for Christmas. After trading in her 7, it'll just be $500. Not bad.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
So my co-worker is selling her 13" MacBook Pro , 2017 model at 1300 $, Canadian dollars of course
She's using her work MacBook all the time so her personal one hasn't seen much action in a while

I tested it last week and it seems to be working fine

The battery cycle counter is at 400 though (I don't remember if it said "normal" but usually at 400 it is).

Good deal or should I wait and buy and brand new one instead?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
So my co-worker is selling her 13" MacBook Pro , 2017 model at 1300 $, Canadian dollars of course
She's using her work MacBook all the time so her personal one hasn't seen much action in a while

The battery cycle counter is at 400 though (I don't remember if it said "normal" but usually at 400 it is).

I'm assuming it's the non-touchbar one?

Depends what all you need it for, but my exact same one (with Touch Bar) runs seamlessly, still. Absolutely no issues and I love it. I paid $2800 for mine when it came out, so I'd jump on that deal. A quick check on my local Kijiji says it's a slightly above average deal.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Assuming its the cheapest model, its not really a deal you can't get on kijiji any given weekend. Assuming its the most expensive model, its a great deal. I'm guessing its the base model, in which case, its a fair asking price.

400 cycles is a lot though, She must have stopped using it extremely recently because thats like a solid 2 years of steady charge.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'm assuming it's the non-touchbar one?

Depends what all you need it for, but my exact same one (with Touch Bar) runs seamlessly, still. Absolutely no issues and I love it. I paid $2800 for mine when it came out, so I'd jump on that deal. A quick check on my local Kijiji says it's a slightly above average deal.

Assuming its the cheapest model, its not really a deal you can't get on kijiji any given weekend. Assuming its the most expensive model, its a great deal. I'm guessing its the base model, in which case, its a fair asking price.

400 cycles is a lot though, She must have stopped using it extremely recently because thats like a solid 2 years of steady charge.

Thank you guys, much appreciated

(Yes it's a non touchbar, base model)

I've done some research and 400 cycles is high indeed

Something came up since, a friend of mine is working for Apple until January and he got me a sweet deal on the 11' iPad Pro

So I'm getting the IPP and keep using my Windows laptop until it dies

Once the lappy dies I'll see if I get another Windows or a MB

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Thank you guys, much appreciated

(Yes it's a non touchbar, base model)

I've done some research and 400 cycles is high indeed

Something came up since, a friend of mine is working for Apple until January and he got me a sweet deal on the 11' iPad Pro

So I'm getting the IPP and keep using my Windows laptop until it dies

Once the lappy dies I'll see if I get another Windows or a MB

You’ll dig the iPad Pro. I ended up giving my Windows tablet/laptop to my son after migrating everything to my iPad. You’ll still need some sort of computer for the odd task (mine runs Plex and does the heavy downloading), but the iPad has superior battery life and accessibility.

Reactions: Power Man

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You’ll dig the iPad Pro. I ended up giving my Windows tablet/laptop to my son after migrating everything to my iPad. You’ll still need some sort of computer for the odd task (mine runs Plex and does the heavy downloading), but the iPad has superior battery life and accessibility.
Yeah my aging Windows laptop is still around, I’ll plug it (dead battery) if I need to do important stuff

I’ll use the IPP and see if I really need it - I have until January 8 to return it

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone else less than impressed with their 11? I bought two of them back in October and my wife and I find them to be... meh.

I find it’s only exciting as an Apple owner when you move to a new body type, ie. from a 6/6S/7/8 to an X/XS/11.
I fit into that category since this past October I upgraded from an 8 Plus to the iPhone 11 and I think it’s great.

Reactions: Supermassive

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Does anyone here have Apple Music? I have it (Paid for the annual at the end of June) but I'm not sure if I like it or not. It just seems like everyone I know is on Spotify and when people advertise their music, it's always Spotify. I wish Apple overhauled it's Music service because it can be so much better.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Does anyone here have Apple Music? I have it (Paid for the annual at the end of June) but I'm not sure if I like it or not. It just seems like everyone I know is on Spotify and when people advertise their music, it's always Spotify. I wish Apple overhauled it's Music service because it can be so much better.
I had it for a while, but it messed with my music library so I dumped it.

The service definitely feels like a missed opportunity, almost like it’s being ignored, with all the other services Apple has been starting up.

Another thing that annoyed me is that Apple really neutered their regular Music app in migrating several features to its paid service. So they’re not getting my money anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad