Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I'm upgrading my 12 to a 13 Pro...after less than a year with the regular 12, I think I should've gotten the Pro version to begin with.

Other bonuses with the 13 Pro are the better screen, 4x storage (I'm getting the 256 GB version), the new camera/video features. Biggest disappointments are the choice of colors in the Pro model, just so bleh, really going to miss my dark blue. Got space gray, with a brown leather case.

Apple is offering $530 for my trade-in, I could probably get more somewhere else, but Apple does make it simple and straightforward.

Now just need to see what the newest MBPs have to offer.

Reactions: Power Man

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I pre-ordered a 13 pro yesterday and Verizon told me my 11 pro has a trade in value of $1000 lmao.

They must be desperate to refurbish phones these days.

Reactions: Power Man

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Edit: I am dumb and thought the port on the iPhone 13 was usb-c but it is still lightning.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Edit: I am dumb and thought the port on the iPhone 13 was usb-c but it is still lightning.

It's the other end but we know Apple wants to do away with the port on the phone altogether probably starting with the 15. I have a 12 Pro I really want to upgrade but I want to wait for the 14 that is slated for some major updates. No notch or camera bump and 48MP camera.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Mac Studio looks pretty slick, especially for those that need the Ultra.

However, I still rather have a MBP, but given Apple's constant shipping delays, I'll waiting for the next release (currently showing beginning of May delivery on the Max-equipped MBPs :( ). I feel that at this rate, about half way through an update.

However, if Apple had announced a MBA in orange, with an M2 and 32 GB, my CC would currently have a big pending purchase on it right now. I priced out a similar Studio to the MBP I want (Max, 32 GB RAM, 32 core GPU) with that studio display, and with the magic KB/mouse + Applecare, it was nearly $5000. :laugh:

But for working pros, it's probably a drop in the bucket.

My beef with putting an M1 in the Air, is that like the Pro, no matter what, it's still just an iPad, as iPad OS still hobbles it from becoming a real laptop replacement IMO.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Mac Studio looks pretty slick, especially for those that need the Ultra.

However, I still rather have a MBP, but given Apple's constant shipping delays, I'll waiting for the next release (currently showing beginning of May delivery on the Max-equipped MBPs :( ). I feel that at this rate, about half way through an update.

However, if Apple had announced a MBA in orange, with an M2 and 32 GB, my CC would currently have a big pending purchase on it right now. I priced out a similar Studio to the MBP I want (Max, 32 GB RAM, 32 core GPU) with that studio display, and with the magic KB/mouse + Applecare, it was nearly $5000. :laugh:

But for working pros, it's probably a drop in the bucket.

My beef with putting an M1 in the Air, is that like the Pro, no matter what, it's still just an iPad, as iPad OS still hobbles it from becoming a real laptop replacement IMO.

Are you in software engineering or graphic design?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
And…my new MBP should be here Friday. (from B&H Photo)

Sort of split the difference, got a 14.2”, with 32 GB RAM, 1 TB, M1 Max, 24 core GPU and AppleCare. A little under $3400. :eek: Although between a little over $600 in CC points and plasma donations (~$700), it won’t cost a complete kidney…but still by far the most I’ve ever spent on a laptop. (In 1998, spent a little over $3k on a Micron PC).

Even with AC included, it’s over $500 cheaper than a similar, albeit 16.1” and 32 core GPU option I had priced out earlier.

And honestly, I’m probably too used to laptop screens on the more portable side.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
So I will have to return my 11 Pro to my carrier (Rogers) in July.

Turns out the contract I have with them is not the typical contract in Canada, it’s a cheaper plan but if you want too keep the phone at the end of the contract you have to pay a residual amount (CAD$ 20”70 in my case) in order to keep the phone.
I think the plan is called Edge or something like that.

I thought it replaced the classic contract plans, bit I just found out it’s just another option (rental)

Good thing I’ve kept my iPhone X, I’ll just put my sim card back in it - and cut my monthly bill in half in the process

Not sure if I’ll upgrade, I’ll probably replace the battery and see what Apple will announce in September

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Get my new iPad Air 5 cell/256GB tomorrow, will be replacing my seven year old Air 2 cell/128GB. Surprising the Air 2 worked as well and as long as it has. That triple core A8X chip extended its useable lifetime beyond pretty much everything else Apple built at the tIme.

Looking forward to seeing how the 5G works.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Yowzers, the screen on the $$$ Pro is nice. For the moment, I have the brightness at ~50%, and it's about as bright as my Dell could muster at maximum.

Getting reacquainted with macOS, as it's been a few years. My iCloud account was being a PITA to sign into, or maybe I was just fat fingering my password, but the initial setup was more detailed than I imagined. So much typing, was really expecting an easier experience, a la my iPhones.

Airdrop is neat - sent a video (~875 MB) from my phone to Mac in about 30 seconds.

The SD card slot is both nice to have, but a stupid design, as the card sticks out about halfway, so there goes my cheap storage idea.

Really happy with MS' products, like Edge and Excel, although I haven't setup Outlook yet. Will eventually get around to installing my photo editing apps, but of course, my version of Capture One isn't a native app, but I imagine even under Rosetta, it will be quick.

Edit: Nope, my version of Capture One (20) isn't supported under Monterey.

Boooo. Now I remember previous experiences with macOS versioning hell. Version 20 is 2 years old, i can run/activate it under Windows 10/11 without issues, but with Mac, I guess they just expect people to update the software with OS versions...so much for a perpetual license for Mac users. I could understand differences in architecture, but to be so nuanced with OS versions. I looked at their support page, and either the OS or their code base is fragile, but it's very specific on supported OS'.

Good grief.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My circa 2011 Macbook Pro has been acting up. I wiped it clean and the only thing I've put on it since is Chrome and it still feels like it is on thin ice.

I only use it for everyday type of stuff, so I think I'd be fine with the base Macbook Air (M1 chip, 8GB RAM, 256GB hard drive).

Any reason to splurge for more?
Any reason to wait? I know the M2 chip is supposed to launch this year, but from what I was reading, going to the M1 chip was the big change and there's not much difference expected between the M1 and M2 chip. Would they drop the price of the M1 computers before they launch the M2?
Any recommendations where to buy? I saw a refurbished one on Apple's site the other day for only $800, but it's gone now. They have one with a 512GB hard drive, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $250 if I can find another 256GB one.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
My circa 2011 Macbook Pro has been acting up. I wiped it clean and the only thing I've put on it since is Chrome and it still feels like it is on thin ice.

I only use it for everyday type of stuff, so I think I'd be fine with the base Macbook Air (M1 chip, 8GB RAM, 256GB hard drive).

Any reason to splurge for more?
Any reason to wait? I know the M2 chip is supposed to launch this year, but from what I was reading, going to the M1 chip was the big change and there's not much difference expected between the M1 and M2 chip. Would they drop the price of the M1 computers before they launch the M2?
Any recommendations where to buy? I saw a refurbished one on Apple's site the other day for only $800, but it's gone now. They have one with a 512GB hard drive, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $250 if I can find another 256GB one.
$US?

If you have a Costco membership, they have Airs on sale, and I think so have Best Buy, B&H, etc but you'll pay a bit more. I think they're all around $1000 for the 256 give or take, and for the 512 GB model, it's around $100 more than the 256 at Costco ATM.

They would likely drop the price on the M1 models around the M2 launch, but then you'll have to debate new features vs cost, so no perfect outcome, just weighing pros and cons. Also, likely they probably won't have the M2 until new school year/fall, so not sure if you can wait that long.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
$US?

If you have a Costco membership, they have Airs on sale, and I think so have Best Buy, B&H, etc but you'll pay a bit more. I think they're all around $1000 for the 256 give or take, and for the 512 GB model, it's around $100 more than the 256 at Costco ATM.

They would likely drop the price on the M1 models around the M2 launch, but then you'll have to debate new features vs cost, so no perfect outcome, just weighing pros and cons. Also, likely they probably won't have the M2 until new school year/fall, so not sure if you can wait that long.
Apple added more certified refurbished ones to their site for $850USD. So I pulled the trigger on one. Thanks for your response, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00