Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And Face ID is objectively worse than Fingerprint ID. Face ID is nice when it works, except for all the times it doesn't. It doesn't recognize me if I have my eyeglasses off. It doesn't recognize me if I'm wearing a hat and dark sunglasses. It doesn't recognize me in a dark room. It's obnoxious. Fingerprint ID worked fine in all of those situations.
When I upgraded from the iPhone 8 Plus to the iPhone 11 this past October I didn't do Face ID for the reasons you stated, like wearing a hat when I go out as an example. So I still use a 4 digit passcode.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just made the move to iPhone about a month ago from android, I’ve been an android user for years I’ve had the Pixels, the Samsung’s, the Oneplus phones. But nothing beats the battery life like iOS does.

The battery life has been great when phone is in idle , with android there’s too many background processes that would just drain my battery when I wasn’t even using my phone.

I have the iPhone XR currently valued at $799 for the 64gb version which compared to android is a rip off. You could get a better bang for your buck from android phones in terms of hardware, better screens, more ram, slightly bigger battery.

I’ve been spoiled by android hardware specifically with the screens so it’s a little hard to get used to this display that doesn’t even display at 1080p.

Hopefully Apple will stop ripping off there customers in terms of hardware , the current OnePlus phone valued at the same price as the XR has;

Phone: Oneplus 7
Ram: 8gb
Display: 1080 x 2400, 90Hz, Amoled
Battery: 3800 mAh
Storage: 128gb
Price: $799

Phone: iPhone XR 64gb
Ram: 3gb
Display: 828 x 1792
Battery: 2942 mAh
Storage: 64gb

The next Samsung that’s coming out will have a 5000 mAh battery, with 120hz amoled display. Guaranteed iPhone will not match that not even with there high end models as they will continue to rip us off, because they know we love that software.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've been thinking about getting Airpods lately, as I have the watch, the phone and the ipad. I did have a set of bluetooth earphones, but the case doesn't keep the charge anymore and the buds have been giving me a lot of trouble. Am I best to go with the pros or would I be ok with the Gen 2? Costco has a nice price for the Gen 2 but it's for the wired case. I think it might be 20 bucks more for the wireless case. I don't know if it matters too much though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Just made the move to iPhone about a month ago from android, I’ve been an android user for years I’ve had the Pixels, the Samsung’s, the Oneplus phones. But nothing beats the battery life like iOS does.

The battery life has been great when phone is in idle , with android there’s too many background processes that would just drain my battery when I wasn’t even using my phone.

I have the iPhone XR currently valued at $799 for the 64gb version which compared to android is a rip off. You could get a better bang for your buck from android phones in terms of hardware, better screens, more ram, slightly bigger battery.

I’ve been spoiled by android hardware specifically with the screens so it’s a little hard to get used to this display that doesn’t even display at 1080p.

Hopefully Apple will stop ripping off there customers in terms of hardware , the current OnePlus phone valued at the same price as the XR has;

Phone: Oneplus 7
Ram: 8gb
Display: 1080 x 2400, 90Hz, Amoled
Battery: 3800 mAh
Storage: 128gb

Phone: iPhone XR 64gb
Ram: 3gb
Display: 828 x 1792
Battery: 2942 mAh
Storage: 64gb

The next Samsung that’s coming out will have a 5000 mAh battery, with 120hz amoled display. Guaranteed iPhone will not match that not even with there high end models as they will continue to rip us off, because they know we love that software.

It’s borderline insulting that Apple can release a $1000CDN phone with an old LCD screen instead of a proper OLED.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I've been thinking about getting Airpods lately, as I have the watch, the phone and the ipad. I did have a set of bluetooth earphones, but the case doesn't keep the charge anymore and the buds have been giving me a lot of trouble. Am I best to go with the pros or would I be ok with the Gen 2? Costco has a nice price for the Gen 2 but it's for the wired case. I think it might be 20 bucks more for the wireless case. I don't know if it matters too much though.

Buy the Pros for the noise cancellation.
Buy the Gen 2’s if you use them while exercising.
The wireless feature for the charging case is not useful.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
It’s borderline insulting that Apple can release a $1000CDN phone with an old LCD screen instead of a proper OLED.
It’s insane, Apple is profiting so much off of it, I’ve been gaming a lot on my phone over the years games are so much more pleasant on an amoled/oled display and now they’re coming out with 120HZ displays on phones which is crazy to me. It’s sucks we have to game on such shitty displays. For people who have only ever used iPhones and are gamers and have the Apple Arcade subscription let me tell you they’re f***ing on us by giving us such shit display. Oled should be on all iPhones if they’re pricing it that way.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Exercising and walking is primarily what I will be using them for
The Pros loosen and fall out of my ears when doing anything more than walking. And no one has come up with a set of foam tips to actually keep them from falling out of your ears yet. The non-pros actually stay put better than the pros while exercising. Not great, considering the cost of the pros.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Buy the Pros for the noise cancellation.
Buy the Gen 2’s if you use them while exercising.
The wireless feature for the charging case is not useful.

I have the Gen 2's and they are great. I'm sure whether they fall out easily depends on the person's ear size. I only notice an issue when i put them in wrong. Interesting about the Pro's, if that was the case I would return them.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

It's only insulting to a point, why are people buying them. OLED vs LED doesn't matter to the vast majority of the public. They are going to keep these cheaper alternatives around for a while to compete in China as well as people trying to save some $$$ here.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's only insulting to a point, why are people buying them. OLED vs LED doesn't matter to the vast majority of the public. They are going to keep these cheaper alternatives around for a while to compete in China as well as people trying to save some $$$ here.

I know people buy them because they can’t justify the Pro. Doesn’t make it fair to use the same display on a $1000 iPhone that is used on a $200 Android phone. Makes Apple look like the profitmongering buttholes that they are. My wife can’t even use her 11 as a gps in direct sunlight. It’s shameful on Apple’s part.

Reactions: gopinator09

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I know people buy them because they can’t justify the Pro. Doesn’t make it fair to use the same display on a $1000 iPhone that is used on a $200 Android phone. Makes Apple look like the profitmongering buttholes that they are. My wife can’t even use her 11 as a gps in direct sunlight. It’s shameful on Apple’s part.

I’m not sure what the margins are for Samsung vs Apple, however we do know Samsung makes the OLED displays where as Apple is simply a buyer. They pay a higher cost for each display and are at the mercy of their most direct competitor.

Apple needs a better solution for this but this is all they got for now. The cheaper OLED displays available form Android are not enough for most people to make the switch vs an XR. They continue to bump prices to make up for selling less phones. I don’t think the LCD on my 8 is that bad vs my 11 pro. Also, there are other differences than the OLED display on an iPhone 111 vs a $200 droid.. c’mon. I'm not sure what the sunlight issue is as I have the 11 Pro and have not experienced an issue.

Apple charges a premium for its products and has so for a while. It's nothing new.

Last edited:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Honestly, what's the benefit of Apple products?
I would say for iPhones it’s the software, as phones that are idle with android drain your battery because there are a lot of background processes happening that we aren’t even aware of, with iPhone there’s less battery drainage that’s what did it for me and why I made the switch from Android to Apple. However maybe someone can enlighten me and tell me why people prefer MacBooks over Windows (never owned a MacBook too expensive)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Honestly, what's the benefit of Apple products?

iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, AirPods?

Superior product support
Non-buggy OS (most of the time)
Superior app store
Still the best music sync program - iTunes
Best bluetooth connectivity between Apple products
Unified messaging
Secure from malicious apps and viruses
Resale value

Downsides:
Wretched feature launches - Apple Music, Apple Maps in particular
Very slow to release new tech to counter competitors - always behind Samsung
Focus on crap no one wants (AR) while Samsung pioneers the big advances
XR/11 screens are trash
MacBook keyboards are trash
Apple TV is stupidly overpriced
Cost

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
^Apple tv is way overpriced but it’s great. Luckily ATT gave me a 4K one for trying out there streaming service for a few months
Not only is it over priced Apple TV is so much more restricted as compared to say android TV. With android TV you can do a lot more in terms of watching free streams for movies/shows I actually found a way to watch hockey streams for free pretty much as well as MMA and Boxing. So many more options.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Does anyone have wifi issues with there iPhones? Mine always seems to disconnect then I have to go and manually reconnect it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not only is it over priced Apple TV is so much more restricted as compared to say android TV. With android TV you can do a lot more in terms of watching free streams for movies/shows I actually found a way to watch hockey streams for free pretty much as well as MMA and Boxing. So many more options.

there are some good IPTV apps on Apple TV. I use several of them.

Smarters or I>playtv

Last edited:

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Got a free year of Apple TV+ with my new phone and I haven't tried it out yet at all. How is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad