Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Ending up going with the regular iPhone 11. Huge upgrade from a regular 8 even with the supposedly terrible LCD screen. I’m not really a pixel peeper like I used to be anyway. Posting this from my phone now actually, with dark mode enabled.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I got my GF the 11 Pro. She had an 8 and was starting to get frustrated with how she couldn’t take cool pictures.

she doesn’t know how to take good pictures. I’ve wasted money to keep this brat happy but I guess I’ll get to check it out and see how it compares to mine side by side.

it should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Ending up going with the regular iPhone 11. Huge upgrade from a regular 8 even with the supposedly terrible LCD screen. I’m not really a pixel peeper like I used to be anyway. Posting this from my phone now actually, with dark mode enabled.
I bought the same for my wife. She seems very happy with it. She doesn’t prefer either screen, just wants more storage and something more current than a 6s. Mission accomplished. Lots of people upgrading from Touch ID phones today, lots of happy faces in the reservation queue.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I’m gonna try to get my boss to approve an iPad Pro + accessories for work, I do a lot of note taking in a lot of meetings so it’s justified lol

Will take it home in evenings to watch movies
upload_2019-9-21_11-47-39.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-21_11-47-36.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-21_11-47-36.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2019-9-21_11-47-36.png
    upload_2019-9-21_11-47-36.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2019-9-21_11-47-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-21_11-47-38.jpeg
  • upload_2019-9-21_11-47-38.png
    upload_2019-9-21_11-47-38.png
  • upload_2019-9-21_11-47-39.png
    upload_2019-9-21_11-47-39.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 2

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I got my GF the 11 Pro. She had an 8 and was starting to get frustrated with how she couldn’t take cool pictures.

she doesn’t know how to take good pictures. I’ve wasted money to keep this brat happy but I guess I’ll get to check it out and see how it compares to mine side by side.

it should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Yeah I’m into photography but I’m keeping the X and working on my technique and getting the most out of built in editing tools and 3rd party software

2020 phones will be better and will have 5G

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So my 11 Pro. The phone feels a bit heavier for sure, I've been carrying around this X for 2 years. Having the X on OS 13 for a day I don't see any other differences than the crazy camera set up for the 11. It takes decent pictures and you can bounce from wide to normal shots quickly. The largest improvement is the OS which you can get on any phone after the 6.

It's nice to have a new phone with better battery life. Still not worth it if your X or XS is in good condition.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
So my 11 Pro. The phone feels a bit heavier for sure, I've been carrying around this X for 2 years. Having the X on OS 13 for a day I don't see any other differences than the crazy camera set up for the 11. It takes decent pictures and you can bounce from wide to normal shots quickly. The largest improvement is the OS which you can get on any phone after the 6.

It's nice to have a new phone with better battery life. Still not worth it if your X or XS is in good condition.
Thank you for the feedback

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Another thing with the 11 Pro I just noticed is the charging box/brick they give you. It's much larger so I assume it supports fast charging but the connection have changed. It's no longer fire to usb to plug in to your brick or car or computer. It's fire to USB C which pretty much only works with the brick they gave you. Maybe you guys have some ports for it on your computers. I fell like they really screws most cars already set up with USB. You can use all your previous stuff though and I guess just this set up for fast charging.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
just to touch on the discussion from the last page, I think phone innovation has definitely stagnated. It's not just Apple. Apple just gets much more press and does bigger events, and they're under more of a microscope I find. The entire industry has stagnated though. There's folding phones, which don't appeal to me at all, and then wearables, which I think is where things will be moving to. I haven't had an Apple Watch and I don't know if it's already possible, but I think the idea is to be able to do everything (or mostly everything) you can do on a phone on your wrist eventually and have less use for your phone rather than the two being tied together.

At this point the phones are just incremental upgrades, with focus on speed and cameras. People at this point will already have their preference on iOS or Android and won't really see the appeal of flipping, especially those tied into Apple's ecosystem.

now I'm in the market for a watch, but I kind of just want it for a fitness tracker kind of thing. I feel like the Fitbit would appeal to what I want much more than a complete Apple Watch, but again, I don't know much about the watches and have been mostly blind to them, so I'm not sure. I know the series 5 is way more pricey than I thought, though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You can still buy a series 3 watch new for $199. Decent point of entry with the perks of connecting to your phone. Watch is fine for quick responses to text messages, fitness, music playing and many more. As far as reading convos, net browsing and so on I don't think they will be able to replace your phone. Even talking on it is an awkward position.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Apple announced that they're moving the 13.1 update (which will have new features included) has been moved up a week to Tuesday next week. I'll probably just wait until then.
Another one already? What's this one going to have?

I still can't figure out what's new with my camera update in 13.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Another thing with the 11 Pro I just noticed is the charging box/brick they give you. It's much larger so I assume it supports fast charging but the connection have changed. It's no longer fire to usb to plug in to your brick or car or computer. It's fire to USB C which pretty much only works with the brick they gave you. Maybe you guys have some ports for it on your computers. I fell like they really screws most cars already set up with USB. You can use all your previous stuff though and I guess just this set up for fast charging.
I just use my Ipad charger for my XS max.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You can still buy a series 3 watch new for $199. Decent point of entry with the perks of connecting to your phone. Watch is fine for quick responses to text messages, fitness, music playing and many more. As far as reading convos, net browsing and so on I don't think they will be able to replace your phone. Even talking on it is an awkward position.
I bought the Series 3 a few months ago - Nike Edition

The CAD $170 difference between thge S3 and S4 was hard to justify for me; I've been very happy with the S3

Even though I prefer Spotify Premium, I swtiched to Apple Music so I can download workout music on the watch and leave my iPhone in my apartment when I go the gym
(my Airpods are connected to my watch)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Next year’s iPhones are supposedly getting a redesign with the metal framing from the iPhone 4/5 days coming back.

That was my favourite design so I can’t wait.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Next year’s iPhones are supposedly getting a redesign with the metal framing from the iPhone 4/5 days coming back.

That was my favourite design so I can’t wait.
The sides being metal? Meh, I think Iphone 5 is where they had the best design and durability. Iphone 4 is that stupid glass and I hate that it's what everyone does now, which is great for how Apple does something and people follow them (even while people mock them while using a handset that was directly affected by Apple's design, lol).

I hope they take most of the cues from Iphone 5 and just really innovates with it. I would love to see them add some texture on the sides so you can grip it better, etc. I am waiting for that one as well, I have the XS Max 512gb, no need for the Pro Max.

But I really want to see a huge gap from Pro Max to the Iphone 12 (whatever they name it).

The biggest overhaul needs to be the whole interface as well, allow people to customize a little more, being able to open files and save them more of a hassle, a revamp of the entire camera UI, etc etc.

And more importantly, figure out a way to finally get rid of the notch. There should be a way to make a screen that can project on top of a camera and hide it altogether.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
All I care about is 5G. Not a chance I spend a grand to update now with 5G phones available next year.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The sides being metal? Meh, I think Iphone 5 is where they had the best design and durability. Iphone 4 is that stupid glass and I hate that it's what everyone does now, which is great for how Apple does something and people follow them (even while people mock them while using a handset that was directly affected by Apple's design, lol).

I hope they take most of the cues from Iphone 5 and just really innovates with it. I would love to see them add some texture on the sides so you can grip it better, etc. I am waiting for that one as well, I have the XS Max 512gb, no need for the Pro Max.

But I really want to see a huge gap from Pro Max to the Iphone 12 (whatever they name it).

The biggest overhaul needs to be the whole interface as well, allow people to customize a little more, being able to open files and save them more of a hassle, a revamp of the entire camera UI, etc etc.

And more importantly, figure out a way to finally get rid of the notch. There should be a way to make a screen that can project on top of a camera and hide it altogether.

Agreed, Apple needs to overhaul the home screen. It's too busy, they really need to add an app drawer. On my iPad, I've put all my apps into folders on my dock, but that is not very convenient.

Being able to set default apps would be nice as well, as I'm using MS' build of Chromium, and it'd be nice not to have to default to Safari. Even on my MBP, I don't care for Safari.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad