Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Apple Music Pros :

- lyrics
- can upload music on my Apple Watch and leave my iPhone at home when I’m working out

Spotify pro:

- algorithm, playlist
- songs that for some reason are not on Apple music
- hand off
- web player
- compatible with different devices : Google Home speakers, etc

Reactions: CPTN71

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I had it for a while, but it messed with my music library so I dumped it.

The service definitely feels like a missed opportunity, almost like it’s being ignored, with all the other services Apple has been starting up.

Another thing that annoyed me is that Apple really neutered their regular Music app in migrating several features to its paid service. So they’re not getting my money anymore.

I just feel like it's overpriced. I had the trial and didn't use it enough to keep the service.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I just feel like it's overpriced. I had the trial and didn't use it enough to keep the service.
For what you get, absolutely. It doesn’t compare to Spotify.

I am on the free trial for Apple Arcade (because why not) and having a blast. A few games worth the sub are

What The Golf?
Pinball Wizard
Tint

Ridding the garden of in-app purchases is actually a breath of fresh air.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 now that it's no longer supported. Starting to see problems with a couple apps that are likely caused by the 1GB main memory--all the currently supported phones are 2GB+.

I'm quite happy with the 4.7" screen. I have an iPad I do most of my remote work on, so I'm not all that pushed towards a larger phone footprint, and honestly don't care about the vast majority of new "features" on the 10/11 models. Have been considering an iPhone 8, but after some research I'm really curious to see if Apple does release the rumored "SE 2 / iPhone 9" in a few months. The rumored specs seem to be perfectly in the wheelhouse of what I'd like to get in an upgrade from the 6.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 now that it's no longer supported. Starting to see problems with a couple apps that are likely caused by the 1GB main memory--all the currently supported phones are 2GB+.

I'm quite happy with the 4.7" screen. I have an iPad I do most of my remote work on, so I'm not all that pushed towards a larger phone footprint, and honestly don't care about the vast majority of new "features" on the 10/11 models. Have been considering an iPhone 8, but after some research I'm really curious to see if Apple does release the rumored "SE 2 / iPhone 9" in a few months. The rumored specs seem to be perfectly in the wheelhouse of what I'd like to get in an upgrade from the 6.

There are iPhone X's out there in the $450 range newish and new. Same size as your 6, a bit larger screen, the 8 is really not much of an upgrade.

Reactions: Supermassive

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are iPhone X's out there in the $450 range newish and new. Same size as your 6, a bit larger screen, the 8 is really not much of an upgrade.

Yeah, though the 8 and X share the same processor. The SE 2 rumors still look more intriguing to me if they turn out to be accurate. Major rumored features:

- 4.7" display
- A13 Chip
- 3GB RAM
- $399 starting price

Would likely only have a single camera vs the dual/triple on the other models and a lower end display technology, but those two aren't as important to me. Would be really nice if it does have the A13 chip, because that should put it on the same support lifecycle as the new iPhone 11's, getting 5-6 years of support.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah, though the 8 and X share the same processor. The SE 2 rumors still look more intriguing to me if they turn out to be accurate. Major rumored features:

- 4.7" display
- A13 Chip
- 3GB RAM
- $399 starting price

Would likely only have a single camera vs the dual/triple on the other models and a lower end display technology, but those two aren't as important to me. Would be really nice if it does have the A13 chip, because that should put it on the same support lifecycle as the new iPhone 11's, getting 5-6 years of support.
I’d always be wary of the rumours about budget phones, usually the finished product either cuts a lot of corners, or comes in at a higher price than was hoped for.

Apple should start axing support for the Touch ID models fairly soon, as they want to spur sales of the X series, 11 and 12. I’d highly recommend at least an X, it’ll be good for 5 more years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’d always be wary of the rumours about budget phones, usually the finished product either cuts a lot of corners, or comes in at a higher price than was hoped for.

Apple should start axing support for the Touch ID models fairly soon, as they want to spur sales of the X series, 11 and 12. I’d highly recommend at least an X, it’ll be good for 5 more years.

I do think there's a hole in Apple's lineup once the 8 is discontinued, probably this upcoming fall. Right now the 8 and 11Pro are the only phones Apple has that are closer to the smaller form factor. The XR, 11 and 11Pro Max are all pretty much Plus size phones. Additionally that would leave them with the lowest entry point at $599, though they could of course drop the XR down to $450-500, still doesn't address an affordable smaller form factor option.

Makes a lot of sense that Apple could roll out an "iPhone 9" to address that market segment. Or introduce some smaller form factor option on the X or base 11 models.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I do think there's a hole in Apple's lineup once the 8 is discontinued, probably this upcoming fall. Right now the 8 and 11Pro are the only phones Apple has that are closer to the smaller form factor. The XR, 11 and 11Pro Max are all pretty much Plus size phones. Additionally that would leave them with the lowest entry point at $599, though they could of course drop the XR down to $450-500, still doesn't address an affordable smaller form factor option.

Makes a lot of sense that Apple could roll out an "iPhone 9" to address that market segment. Or introduce some smaller form factor option on the X or base 11 models.

They are not though unless they are the Max. The ll and 8 are about the same size, 11 being barely wider, longer and depth and I mean barely. I have an 11 personal and the 8 for work. I hate having the home button on one of them. It's so annoying.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

The iPhone 9 does make a lot of sense, but the incoming 12 will have no notch and chamfered edges, making the X-XS-11 model look aged. I can’t see them carrying three models and multiple sizes to boot. Apple still favours the upsell over budget devices.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They are not though unless they are the Max. The ll and 8 are about the same size, 11 being barely wider, longer and depth and I mean barely. I have an 11 personal and the 8 for work. I hate having the home button on one of them. It's so annoying.

The 11 is closer in size to the 8Plus then the 8. The 8Plus is 8% larger then the 11, while the 11 is 23% larger then the 8.

Interestingly, the 11Pro Max is actually slightly smaller then the 8Plus.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The iPhone 9 does make a lot of sense, but the incoming 12 will have no notch and chamfered edges, making the X-XS-11 model look aged. I can’t see them carrying three models and multiple sizes to boot. Apple still favours the upsell over budget devices.

Apple did manufacture the 6S/Plus, SE, 7/Plus and 8/Plus at the same time for a year from Sep 2017 to Sep 2018.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The 11 is closer in size to the 8Plus then the 8. The 8Plus is 8% larger then the 11, while the 11 is 23% larger then the 8.

Interestingly, the 11Pro Max is actually slightly smaller then the 8Plus.
I always found it funny how the 11 Pro is smaller in size than the 11. Now the reason I went with the 11 was it being a little bigger compared to the 11 Pro, so I didn't care about not having the three cameras and because I was trading in my 8 Plus, I was able to get the 11 itself along with the case and screen protector at no extra cost with the way it worked out with my contract on Bell.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Apple did manufacture the 6S/Plus, SE, 7/Plus and 8/Plus at the same time for a year from Sep 2017 to Sep 2018.

Not only that, but it's how they do their pricing tiers, as they just drop the price on older models and keep selling them.

Same with the iPad vs the iPad Air and Pro. Just ways to assemble new devices with old part lines. I do like the size of my 8, but if Apple makes me go back to big phones eventually, that would be terribly ironic. And I'd be tickled pink if OEMs would add some thickness to their phones, rather than dealing with the camera bump....oh, noes, a slightly thicker battery too, the horror.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
True, but really only two body types, the 5/5S/SE body type, and the 6/6S/7/8 body type.

I do think you’re right about the 9, I just hope they don’t neuter it too much.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Upgraded my iPhone to an XR last month, and while the performance and battery life is much better, so many of the other changes Apple has made to the hardware and interface have been for the worse.

No more headphone jack means I need to use fricking special adaptors and dongles. I often plug my phone into the AUX port in my car to listen to while driving, and now I had to get a special two-pronged adaptor just so I could play music through AUX and charge it at the same time. Ridiculous.

And Face ID is objectively worse than Fingerprint ID. Face ID is nice when it works, except for all the times it doesn't. It doesn't recognize me if I have my eyeglasses off. It doesn't recognize me if I'm wearing a hat and dark sunglasses. It doesn't recognize me in a dark room. It's obnoxious. Fingerprint ID worked fine in all of those situations.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Upgraded my iPhone to an XR last month, and while the performance and battery life is much better, so many of the other changes Apple has made to the hardware and interface have been for the worse.

No more headphone jack means I need to use fricking special adaptors and dongles. I often plug my phone into the AUX port in my car to listen to while driving, and now I had to get a special two-pronged adaptor just so I could play music through AUX and charge it at the same time. Ridiculous.

And Face ID is objectively worse than Fingerprint ID. Face ID is nice when it works, except for all the times it doesn't. It doesn't recognize me if I have my eyeglasses off. It doesn't recognize me if I'm wearing a hat and dark sunglasses. It doesn't recognize me in a dark room. It's obnoxious. Fingerprint ID worked fine in all of those situations.

Headphone jack, it's been years for me I completely forgot about it. There are so many Bluetooth options why bother. As far as Face ID something must be wrong. You can have a few different profiles in there including one with eyeglasses and one without, hats, ect. I have never had a problem with the X or 11 Pro recognizing me with one profile on there other than one pair of mirrored sunglasses I have, other than that one hang up the speed of unlocking your phone is so much faster. I have an 8 for work and I absolutely hate the button now. I would suggest setting up your Face ID again in a well-lit room with several profiles and see how it does. If that doesn't work take it to Apple because that's unusual.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Headphone jack, it's been years for me I completely forgot about it. There are so many Bluetooth options why bother. As far as Face ID something must be wrong. You can have a few different profiles in there including one with eyeglasses and one without, hats, ect. I have never had a problem with the X or 11 Pro recognizing me with one profile on there other than one pair of mirrored sunglasses I have, other than that one hang up the speed of unlocking your phone is so much faster. I have an 8 for work and I absolutely hate the button now. I would suggest setting up your Face ID again in a well-lit room with several profiles and see how it does. If that doesn't work take it to Apple because that's unusual.

I drive a model year 2009 car that does not have Bluetooth. It does have an AUX-IN port.

If I want to play music or podcasts on my commute, I have to plug it in, which means I need a dongle now. And if I want to charge it and play audio at the same time, I need a special two-pronged dongle. It's stupid, because it's way more needlessly complicated than it used to be with older iPhones.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I drive a model year 2009 car that does not have Bluetooth. It does have an AUX-IN port.

If I want to play music or podcasts on my commute, I have to plug it in, which means I need a dongle now. And if I want to charge it and play audio at the same time, I need a special two-pronged dongle. It's stupid, because it's way more needlessly complicated than it used to be with older iPhones.

I get it but pretty much every new phone is going away from the headphone jack. I guess you could have found one that still had it but why for the sake of the car. I would just leave the set up permanently in the car with the doggle as that's the only place you need it.

There are some rumours and specs of future iPhones with no plugin specs, only wireless charging. That would be very difficult for car charging without a specialized adapter.

Best 2019 smartphones that still had a headphone jack,

Best smartphones with a 3.5mm headphone jack you can buy in 2019

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
There are some rumours and specs of future iPhones with no plugin specs, only wireless charging. That would be very difficult for car charging without a specialized adapter.

Well that would truly suck. The internal battery is sufficient for most commutes, but what about long road trips? You're going to need to charge it from the car. And that's the exact type of situation I would want the phone playing audio for extended periods (for audiobooks).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Well that would truly suck. The internal battery is sufficient for most commutes, but what about long road trips? You're going to need to charge it from the car. And that's the exact type of situation I would want the phone playing audio for extended periods (for audiobooks).

I'm guessing it would only support Bluetooth audio and you can have a pad or stand in the car for charging. I bet in five years that will be the trend. The only place currently I use wired charging now is the car.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

come on man. just buy a new car and get with the times or apple will leave you behind.
lol. I kid I kid.

not having the headphone jack is annoying. I bought a S10+ due to having the jack but it seems with the Note 10 they are going to get away from it too just to sell an overpriced dongle. I really enjoy my wired headsets and not having to worry about running out of battery in my headsets or forgetting to charge them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->