Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Does anyone have experience getting into an old iPod Touch without the passcode?

It's probably the iPod Touch 4th generation or something like that. I had it a long time ago, and I remember I had some cool stuff on there I wouldn't mind seeing again. The weird thing is, the screen was messed up and wouldn't work at all for so long. I grabbed it just now and was gonna see if I could find a solution, but instead, it actually powered on and looks as good as new. Only problem is, I can't remember the old 4-digit passcode.

Anyone know how to get in it without resetting the device/wiping it clean?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Does anyone have experience getting into an old iPod Touch without the passcode?

It's probably the iPod Touch 4th generation or something like that. I had it a long time ago, and I remember I had some cool stuff on there I wouldn't mind seeing again. The weird thing is, the screen was messed up and wouldn't work at all for so long. I grabbed it just now and was gonna see if I could find a solution, but instead, it actually powered on and looks as good as new. Only problem is, I can't remember the old 4-digit passcode.

Anyone know how to get in it without resetting the device/wiping it clean?

No but has it been backed up at all? Your only option is really to wipe it and restore from backup or figure out that code before your attempts are used up.

Anything you purchased from Apple will be available to download again. Other stuff.... will be gone if you didn't back up.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
No but has it been backed up at all? Your only option is really to wipe it and restore from backup or figure out that code before your attempts are used up.

Anything you purchased from Apple will be available to download again. Other stuff.... will be gone if you didn't back up.

I don't really remember as it was so long ago. I'll try plugging into my home PC when I'm home in a month and see. If not, oh well, no big deal. But thanks for the reply, I figured there was no way (security purposes), but thought I'd at least ask and see.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sometimes if my Dad is trying to send me an iMessage from his iPhone 8 to my iPhone 8 Plus he told me I'm not seeing it right away. So it will either come up when he calls me as my phone rings or I will hear the notification a few minutes later. The weird thing is if were both at home I have him text me something to see how fast I get it and I saw it right away, plus I had turned my phone on right before trying that. So to fix this I turned iMessages off for about 10 seconds and turned them back on, I signed out and back into my iCloud and I even noticed in the iCloud settings that the message icon was not turned on. Finally if it matters his iPhone 8 still on iOS 11 and my iPhone 8 Plus is on iOS 12.1, so does anyone have an idea what's going on?

Editing to add the following: When I get iMessages sent from my friends with iPhones they never told me how they sent me something which showed a message was delivered on their phones and said I never read them or didn't respond right away.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Debating whether I should buy AirPods now or just wait for the AirPods 2. Should be out soon, I imagine..

I had the same debate back in October. Ended up just getting the AirPods.. no sense in waiting since they don't seem to be on a scheduled/normal refresh cycle.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Bought an Apple Watch. Ended up going with the 44m Series 4. Was considering it for the past few months and decided why not. I have a Touch Bar MacBook Pro, 2015 iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus, an old Apple TV so the Watch was the only thing I was really missing lol. The features of the Series 4 compared to 3 didn't seem that different when I talked to the employee, but I figured if I'm spending a good chunk of money on it, I might as well take the one that will last me a while

I'm liking it a lot. Anyone have any recommendations as someone who doesn't know a lot about the features, flaws, etc? Should I look into Apple Care for it, or nah? Are there any cool things that aren't completely obvious?

I had the same debate back in October. Ended up just getting the AirPods.. no sense in waiting since they don't seem to be on a scheduled/normal refresh cycle.

Took your advice and just got them. First impressions is a big meh. They're super convenient but the sound isn't that great, especially compared to the EarPods which I was using before. My EarPods would constantly lose a ton of quality after just a few weeks, so I'm hoping the AirPods are at least better for that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Took your advice and just got them. First impressions is a big meh. They're super convenient but the sound isn't that great, especially compared to the EarPods which I was using before. My EarPods would constantly lose a ton of quality after just a few weeks, so I'm hoping the AirPods are at least better for that.

I had to buy these tiny silicone ear hooks just to get them to stay in my ear during workouts.. Evidently my ear just isn't properly shaped for Apple products.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This past December when I was coming home from vacation when I turned on my 8 Plus once I was back in Toronto I had a voicemail and for some reason when I pressed call voice mail it was not going through right away, however it eventually worked and I thought nothing more about it.

Fast forward to last month I was looking up a number for a store and when I tried to call them the call was not going through when I pressed the call icon. I had to keep pressing it multiple times before it went through. After that I turned off my 8 Plus and turned it back on and tried one of my contacts to see if the call would go through and it worked right away. Then I decided to call my local Apple Store since they were not saved as a contact and because you get a recording when first calling them, so I could end the call right away. As it turns out the call was not going through. So I eventually call them back and speak to someone who says try these two things. The first thing was downloading the most recent iOS update and the second thing clicking reset. I eventually download iOS 12.1.4. and I still had that same problem when calling non contacts. I tried that reset which I thought fixed the problem, however when I turned it off and back on again my calling problem never went away. After my 8 Plus has been on for at least an hour I can call non contacts and call my voicemail without any issues.

So I eventually went to my local Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. I was told it's a software problem and I would need to connect my 8 Plus to iTunes so I could back it up on there, wipe it clean and have my 8 Plus like it's brand new. I don't have iTunes downloaded on my computer and whatever backups I previously did was through iCloud. So this coming October I'm going to get the iPhone 11 or whatever they plan to call it, since my contract is up at the end of September 2019 and I can upgrade. So I can live with this until that time.

Anyway I'm wondering has anyone else had a problem like I have or ever heard of this before?

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
TV will not bust. Apple is expected to spend 2 billion on original content this year alone. They are already locking up actors, Directors - Speilberg is signed on and many others.

Will it surpass Netfilx ... probably not for some time if ever. What continues to happen is the fragmentation of streaming services. Everyone keeping and streaming their own content vs. selling it off.

Apple's bet the farm on this one. I'm not interested in another ongoing streaming service but I'll try it for a month.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
TV will not bust. Apple is expected to spend 2 billion on original content this year alone. They are already locking up actors, Directors - Speilberg is signed on and many others.

Will it surpass Netfilx ... probably not for some time if ever. What continues to happen is the fragmentation of streaming services. Everyone keeping and streaming their own content vs. selling it off.

Apple's bet the farm on this one. I'm not interested in another ongoing streaming service but I'll try it for a month.

There's a point that most people are at, where they're not going to pay for more than one video-streaming service on top of their internet, phone, satellite/cable and other utilities. Cord cutters went internet-only to avoid getting gouged, whether it's by an all-in-one or several slices by different companies. And Apple is going against Netflix and Disney/Marvel/Fox/Everything. I'll be shocked if Apple can rise above Amazon, TBH.

On another note, the Arcade idea is just embarrassing. I had such high hopes for a platform for re-released arcade and console games, with built-in compatibility for all MFi controllers. A legit way to play a diverse library without going to Android-based emulators. A selection of 100+ touch-screen games? Blech.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Nothing about the Apple TV+ announcement excited me ... or makes me want to switch over from YoutubeTV.

I was really hoping they were going to an actual streaming service like Sling, YTTV, DirectTV etc.. their whole thing about having everything in one place actually turns out to be the opposite for me if I switch over to using their product.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So for Apple TV+ you either need an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV box?

I wouldn't necessarily be against adding a new subscription service if they produce great movies and shows.

But I use a windows HTPC with Kodi to play Netflix, Amazon and video files. I'm not sure if will be possible to use Apple TV+ in that environment. I don't want to add another device to my living room just to add another video library - I like having everything in one place using one remote.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Did you upgrade the memory? I use a mid-2012 13” MacBook Pro, run Adobe and Autodesk programs on it. I’m going to replace the HDD with a SSD, but it still runs fine. I use it all day for work, and leave it on all night playing Netflix, keep 200gb+ of music on it, and have traveled with it in backpacks a lot. Check this site out: Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades

Honestly don’t even plan on getting a new computer anytime soon, I’ve had so few issues with this one despite using it a TON.

I would consider a refurbished 2012 model, depending on what you’re going to be using it for. You could upgrade to 16gb memory and a SSD for like $150.

Came to this thread to check out the iPhone discussion and glad to have found this post. We have a 2010 Macbook pro that my wife uses periodically for various things. I don't know how she had the patience as that thing ran slow as molasses. I have a laptop through work so I avoided the mac like the plague.

Anyway, I upgraded the memory to the max 8GB allowed and this thing is running so much better. I replaced the battery as well. I was going to see how it responded to these changes before upgrading to an SSD. I probably will but haven't decided on 500GB or 1TB. I'm thinking 1TB because you can always use it as an external or whatever, once we do finally get a new computer. Was looking at the Samsung 860 Evo. Did you ever replace your HDD?

Apple is so desperate to sell the XR, holy crap lol.

They've finally found the price ceiling for all these phones, I think. I know more people are getting the X than the XS, XS Max or XR.

We switched to Sprint and are saving almost $600 on two XR's (128GB). I didn't realize that it was slightly bigger than the X. Would have preferred the smaller size but oh well... We are loving these phones though. I don't watch movies or stream too much so I didn't really think I would need an OLED screen just yet. We never really got into the 3D touch either, so I'm not missing it at all. Probably should have checked it out more when I had the 6s.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Wife is looking to upgrade from the 7. Do you guys think it would be wise to wait until Sept or just go with XS? My main fear is she gets the XS and then they finally ditch the notch in 5 months..

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Came to this thread to check out the iPhone discussion and glad to have found this post. We have a 2010 Macbook pro that my wife uses periodically for various things. I don't know how she had the patience as that thing ran slow as molasses. I have a laptop through work so I avoided the mac like the plague.

Anyway, I upgraded the memory to the max 8GB allowed and this thing is running so much better. I replaced the battery as well. I was going to see how it responded to these changes before upgrading to an SSD. I probably will but haven't decided on 500GB or 1TB. I'm thinking 1TB because you can always use it as an external or whatever, once we do finally get a new computer. Was looking at the Samsung 860 Evo. Did you ever replace your HDD?
Glad to hear it. I haven't actually upgraded my 500 GB HDD to a SSD yet, it honestly just hasn't been all that necessary. I play music from a 250 GB iTunes library while running other apps like Adobe Photoshop, Firefox, etc., and it works fine (not blazing fast mind you, but fast enough that it doesn't interfere with my workflow).

This is the computer and OS I'm currently running:
macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Beta
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Storage: 500 GB 5400-rpm hard drive (95.73 GB free right now)

This machine has been through a lot. It's been used constantly—almost literally—since 2012. Always way too much music, letting Netflix play all night, downloading any vaguely interesting app and whatever other useless crap I could find, ran Windows through it, etc. I've walked probably over hundred miles with it in a backpack, flown with it, you name it. The repairs from that amount of mileage? Severed wire connecting the display to the motherboard (2016), cost about $100 to fix, might have been $200 but it was also in Canada so it was cheaper either way. And a new battery (2017). Just a great machine.

Rebooting/Restarting your computer will always help. A lot. Check when you last rebooted by clicking the Apple icon in the top-left of the menu bar: Apple > About This Mac > System Report. The System Information window will pop open, scroll down the left pane and click Software. It will show you the System Software Overview, the last item is "Time since boot: ". There's a new Mojave update about once week, so that's my usual reboot.

Clear web browser history & cache often. Close an app if you're done using it, don't leave things open. Keep the desktop uncluttered, if possible keep don't keep anything on it at all.

I also keep this app Memory Cleaner (Rocky Sand Studio) running, it cleans out your memory cache whenever you an app, and monitors the memory pressure from your menu bar. EtreCheck is a useful program you can use for quick and easy system analysis.

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Glad to hear it. I haven't actually upgraded my 500 GB HDD to a SSD yet, it honestly just hasn't been all that necessary. I play music from a 250 GB iTunes library while running other apps like Adobe Photoshop, Firefox, etc., and it works fine (not blazing fast mind you, but fast enough that it doesn't interfere with my workflow).

This is the computer and OS I'm currently running:
macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Beta
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Storage: 500 GB 5400-rpm hard drive (95.73 GB free right now)

This machine has been through a lot. It's been used constantly—almost literally—since 2012. Always way too much music, letting Netflix play all night, downloading any vaguely interesting app and whatever other useless crap I could find, ran Windows through it, etc. I've walked probably over hundred miles with it in a backpack, flown with it, you name it. The repairs from that amount of mileage? Severed wire connecting the display to the motherboard (2016), cost about $100 to fix, might have been $200 but it was also in Canada so it was cheaper either way. And a new battery (2017). Just a great machine.

Rebooting/Restarting your computer will always help. A lot. Check when you last rebooted by clicking the Apple icon in the top-left of the menu bar: Apple > About This Mac > System Report. The System Information window will pop open, scroll down the left pane and click Software. It will show you the System Software Overview, the last item is "Time since boot: ". There's a new Mojave update about once week, so that's my usual reboot.

Clear web browser history & cache often. Close an app if you're done using it, don't leave things open. Keep the desktop uncluttered, if possible keep don't keep anything on it at all.

I also keep this app Memory Cleaner (Rocky Sand Studio) running, it cleans out your memory cache whenever you an app, and monitors the memory pressure from your menu bar. EtreCheck is a useful program you can use for quick and easy system analysis.

Thanks for the info. My wife has a bunch of crap on the desktop. I didn't know that could have an effect on performance. I might just create a folder titled "desktop junk" and throw it somewhere. I don't really know what all she uses anymore, but since I haven't really tried using it in about 5 years, it's all unorganized and there is stuff all over the place... Latest OS this one can run on is Sierra, so I updated to that (to have the latest iTunes version, for syncing with new phones) this weekend and it still seems to be running well. That covers my last reboot...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks for the info. My wife has a bunch of crap on the desktop. I didn't know that could have an effect on performance. I might just create a folder titled "desktop junk" and throw it somewhere. I don't really know what all she uses anymore, but since I haven't really tried using it in about 5 years, it's all unorganized and there is stuff all over the place... Latest OS this one can run on is Sierra, so I updated to that (to have the latest iTunes version, for syncing with new phones) this weekend and it still seems to be running well. That covers my last reboot...
Ah I was gonna say, Mojave has a grouping/stacking feature for the desktop. Just use the user home folders like Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.

Activity Monitor is a great built-in app. It's under Applications > Utilities.

What model is the computer? Check this site out, they show you all the possible upgrades for your device: Apple MacBook Pro Systems - Memory & SSD Upgrades | Compatible Upgrades | Crucial.com

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Wife is looking to upgrade from the 7. Do you guys think it would be wise to wait until Sept or just go with XS? My main fear is she gets the XS and then they finally ditch the notch in 5 months..
Doubt they ditch the notch unless they do the Samsung pinhole type thing for the camera and sensors which seems to be worse, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad