Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Question about screen protectors...

So when I had Android, I always got glass protectors, but it always just felt weird, then when I got my 7+ a couple of years back, I got the one that Geeksquad put on that wasn't glass and it felt fine, durable as hell too. Now that I have my XS Max, I've been so lazy to get one, I just trimmed what I already had on it and kept it on until I could decide, but it kind of sucks that with how good these phones by various Android brands and Apple have made, you get waterproof this, etc that, but the screen is still not scratch proof.

Which is better to get, glass or the film?

Yup enjoying the battery life on my X, especially the standby time

I wouldn’t use my S8 for a few hours and would lose at least 10 %

Probably Google Play Services or some other **** draining battery in the background, don’t have time to investigate or troubleshoot, **** that
I use my XS Max a ton, the battery life is fantastic. I'm actually amazed at how long it lasts considering how big the screen is and how much that would affect the battery.

Reactions: Power Man

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Got the iPhone X. It’s insane, whoa. The battery, the screen, the speakers. God damn. It’s also the perfect size to me. Similar body to a 6s, but much bigger screen.
I miss how thin my Iphone 7 Plus was. X and XS feel like double the thickness.

Went from an 8 Plus to the X when the X came out...

I like the X, and for awhile have preferred the smaller form factor of it.

But I'd be lying if I said I did not have the urge to get the XS Max ... that bigger screen is always calling my name.

Gf has the Xs, I have the Xs Max, when we're in the car, she's always on my phone watching Netflix, not hers.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Going to buy a MacBook Pro this week. 13 in , non Touch Bar edition. Really excited. Havnt bought a cpu since 2007! Never have used Mac OS but have heard nothing but great things. And have felt the build quality in store and it has me pretty much sold.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'll take the extra thickness for the better battery and better screen. I went to the gym with 63% and left with 50% after about two hours or so while going on it between sets and streaming music over bluetooth. If it were my old phone it would have died within an hour from 63%.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The way I see it is my iPhone 6s is still real smooth but the battery is just awful (this after the exchange of batteries). I can only imagine how long the A11 Bionic will hold up in the X if my 6s is still relatively smooth and useable until the battery goes down 20% doing very little in about 5 minutes lol.

I am rolling with my 6s until it dies, so hopefully another 5 years or so, the battery isnt great anymore so I am just at a point where I want cheap phone bills. Ill just carry a charger if I have to.

My macbook pro from 2011 is also pretty much good for light web browsing only, its so sloooow nowadays and honestly the only thing I have on it is word documents and like 3 programs. I am going to try and stretch it out for another few years.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Does anyone have any tips for me to get best price on the MacBook? I will be starting up grad school in the spring - not sure how the student discounts work through Apple. I’ll only be doing 2 classes so not a full time student. The best deal I found was at Best Buy for 150 off. Any tips that anyone has to offer before I go the Best Buy route will be greatly appreciated!!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I am rolling with my 6s until it dies, so hopefully another 5 years or so, the battery isnt great anymore so I am just at a point where I want cheap phone bills. Ill just carry a charger if I have to.

My macbook pro from 2011 is also pretty much good for light web browsing only, its so sloooow nowadays and honestly the only thing I have on it is word documents and like 3 programs. I am going to try and stretch it out for another few years.
Did you upgrade the memory? I use a mid-2012 13” MacBook Pro, run Adobe and Autodesk programs on it. I’m going to replace the HDD with a SSD, but it still runs fine. I use it all day for work, and leave it on all night playing Netflix, keep 200gb+ of music on it, and have traveled with it in backpacks a lot. Check this site out: Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades

Honestly don’t even plan on getting a new computer anytime soon, I’ve had so few issues with this one despite using it a TON.

Does anyone have any tips for me to get best price on the MacBook? I will be starting up grad school in the spring - not sure how the student discounts work through Apple. I’ll only be doing 2 classes so not a full time student. The best deal I found was at Best Buy for 150 off. Any tips that anyone has to offer before I go the Best Buy route will be greatly appreciated!!
I would consider a refurbished 2012 model, depending on what you’re going to be using it for. You could upgrade to 16gb memory and a SSD for like $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllAbout813

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Did you upgrade the memory? I use a mid-2012 13” MacBook Pro, run Adobe and Autodesk programs on it. I’m going to replace the HDD with a SSD, but it still runs fine. I use it all day for work, and leave it on all night playing Netflix, keep 200gb+ of music on it. Check this site out: Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades

Honestly don’t even plan on getting a new computer anytime soon, I’ve had so few issues with this one despite using it a TON.

I would consider a refurbished 2012 model, depending on what you’re going to be using it for. You could upgrade to 16gb memory and a SSD for like $150.

I have not, how easy is upgrading the memory on a Macbook pro? Of course I can google it I assume, its a 2011.

Yeah I have no issues with mine either, which is why I want to keep it, it just runs pretty slow nowadays is all. I basically use it for web browsing, word processing, excel, etc. and I do want to get back into using my camera for photography, so probably using a photo editing program.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I have not, how easy is upgrading the memory on a Macbook pro? Of course I can google it I assume, its a 2011.

Yeah I have no issues with mine either, which is why I want to keep it, it just runs pretty slow nowadays is all. I basically use it for web browsing, word processing, excel, etc. and I do want to get back into using my camera for photography, so probably using a photo editing program.
It's super easy but you need to right screwdrivers: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 RAM Replacement

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just be forewarned when I eventually decide to do this you might get some PM's now with questions. Its your own fault. :D
It's cool, I did the same thing at first haha. In the last year I replaced the memory sticks twice, and replaced the battery twice. They usually come with nice warranty policies, my new battery only lasted like 9 months, and they just sent me a new one this fall.

It's always a good idea to have an external hard drive to use Time Machine with though.

IIRC after 2012, Apple started making the Macbooks harder to DIY, one of several reasons I'm hesitant to look for a newer model. And much like my iPod Classic from around the same time, I've had shockingly few issues in general.

Also this app EtreCheck is good for returning status reports on your computer: EtreCheck Pro for Mac | MacUpdate

Last edited:

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Did you upgrade the memory? I use a mid-2012 13” MacBook Pro, run Adobe and Autodesk programs on it. I’m going to replace the HDD with a SSD, but it still runs fine. I use it all day for work, and leave it on all night playing Netflix, keep 200gb+ of music on it, and have traveled with it in backpacks a lot. Check this site out: Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades

I actually had my eyes set on the 2017 Mac 13 in model. Funny thing though, I went to Best Buy on Thursday to buy it and decided to hold off one more day and walked out of the store. Then last night we went there and it dropped from 150 off to 250 off. So saved an extra hundred which was pretty sweet. Love the machine though, this laptop is amazing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I actually had my eyes set on the 2017 Mac 13 in model. Funny thing though, I went to Best Buy on Thursday to buy it and decided to hold off one more day and walked out of the store. Then last night we went there and it dropped from 150 off to 250 off. So saved an extra hundred which was pretty sweet. Love the machine though, this laptop is amazing.
Oh so you went and got that 2017 13"? And $250 off? That's awesome. Yeah you'll soon wonder how you ever got by using anything else.

That model comes with a SSD, Retina, and 8GB of memory, yeah? I'll post any useful Mac-apps and/or tricks I can think of, although much of it depends on what you're using the machine for. Enjoy.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Oh so you went and got that 2017 13"? And $250 off? That's awesome. Yeah you'll soon wonder how you ever got by using anything else.

That model comes with a SSD, Retina, and 8GB of memory, yeah? I'll post any useful Mac-apps and/or tricks I can think of, although much of it depends on what you're using the machine for. Enjoy.
Yea that one! My first computer since 2007! I’ve been using a phone for the past 6 years (not counting my work cpu). It really was way past due. The gestures on the trackpad is really cool, and something I didn’t know much about until today. Very helpful.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone ever heard of the Apple Store selling out of the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen Protection? The one I currently have on my 8 Plus started to crack and I went this morning to the Apple Store closest to where I live to get a replacement and I was told it was sold out. In fact when I check the Apple website and type in my postal code, it says sold out from every Toronto area location along with their stores in London, Waterloo, Burlington and Ottawa. However it also says it will become available on January 3, 2019 so I will go that day and try again to purchase a new one.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Has anyone ever heard of the Apple Store selling out of the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra Screen Protection? The one I currently have on my 8 Plus started to crack and I went this morning to the Apple Store closest to where I live to get a replacement and I was told it was sold out. In fact when I check the Apple website and type in my postal code, it says sold out from every Toronto area location along with their stores in London, Waterloo, Burlington and Ottawa. However it also says it will become available on January 3, 2019 so I will go that day and try again to purchase a new one.
Have you checked Amazon?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Apple adjusting their revenue outlook is huge. Ever since the cost has gone above $1,000 for phones that are marginally better than the older versions, sales have been dropping. As an Apple consumer, this is a good thing.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Apple adjusting their revenue outlook is huge. Ever since the cost has gone above $1,000 for phones that are marginally better than the older versions, sales have been dropping. As an Apple consumer, this is a good thing.

Yup. It's nice to see their greed and arrogance result in any sort of punishment by the market. I'll take it.

Also, having a new iPhone every year isn't a bragging point when everyone and their grandma has one. The iPhone XS/Max is a great upgrade for people with a 6 or 7, but it's no "gotta have" new device.

It also annoys me how people evaluate the market movement. People claiming that the relatively high iPhone X demand at launch was due to the hunger for a "one-of-a-kind", limited edition, special device. Bullshit. It was the form redesign that drew sales. Same as the launch of the 4, the 5, the 6. People having the same damn phone in the 6, 6s, 7 and 8.

I really like Samsung's upcoming S10. Hopefully Apple gets off their 5 year product cycle and starts to compete with them again.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yup. It's nice to see their greed and arrogance result in any sort of punishment by the market. I'll take it.

Also, having a new iPhone every year isn't a bragging point when everyone and their grandma has one. The iPhone XS/Max is a great upgrade for people with a 6 or 7, but it's no "gotta have" new device.

It also annoys me how people evaluate the market movement. People claiming that the relatively high iPhone X demand at launch was due to the hunger for a "one-of-a-kind", limited edition, special device. Bull****. It was the form redesign that drew sales. Same as the launch of the 4, the 5, the 6. People having the same damn phone in the 6, 6s, 7 and 8.

I really like Samsung's upcoming S10. Hopefully Apple gets off their 5 year product cycle and starts to compete with them again.
Thing is, the difference between the annual Galaxy phones are nominal as well. Just no reason to spend the same amount that a great laptop costs on a new phone every year.

Also, the tech companies had to see this coming. Only reason people got a new phone every year or two was because the phone companies were subsidizing them in order to keep customers under contract. Since then, they've gotten way more expensive and customers have to (in most cases) come out of pocket.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Thing is, the difference between the annual Galaxy phones are nominal as well. Just no reason to spend the same amount that a great laptop costs on a new phone every year.

Also, the tech companies had to see this coming. Only reason people got a new phone every year or two was because the phone companies were subsidizing them in order to keep customers under contract. Since then, they've gotten way more expensive and customers have to (in most cases) come out of pocket.

I'll admit I'm biased. Ever since Samsung dumped the home button, their phones have been the ideal form, imo. Skipping the notch in favour of tiny bezels was a better move, and the corner front-facing camera cutout is a far better design.

I'm glad that people are proving the "Apple customers as dumb sheep" stereotype wrong, as far as keeping their phones and not giving in to Apple.

On another note, I bought the Beats Studio 3 cans as a self-mas present because they were $224 CDN, regular $400. I’m certainly no audiophile, but they are heavenly. I can’t justify the price of Bose or Sony, so these fit the bill. Visions in Canada is unbeatable with their sales. Lots of love for this chain.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'll admit I'm biased. Ever since Samsung dumped the home button, their phones have been the ideal form, imo. Skipping the notch in favour of tiny bezels was a better move, and the corner front-facing camera cutout is a far better design.

I'm glad that people are proving the "Apple customers as dumb sheep" stereotype wrong.
If not having the tiny notch is what you think is innovative, then you’re definitely bias. Like Apple, the home button is the only significant change from Galaxy phones from years ago.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

It also annoys me how people evaluate the market movement. People claiming that the relatively high iPhone X demand at launch was due to the hunger for a "one-of-a-kind", limited edition, special device. Bull****. It was the form redesign that drew sales. Same as the launch of the 4, the 5, the 6. People having the same damn phone in the 6, 6s, 7 and 8.

Apple set a price point that was prohibitive to annual or every two-year upgrades. They were making just about as much money but selling less phones - thus they are not releasing total sales anymore

It's easy to say the rising cost of the phone is why, it's not. China's growth is slowing drastically as well as other markets to expand in. It's just saturated and with the current tech - upgrades are minimal across both Samsung and Apple.

Cook also admitted the battery exchange program may have limited upgrades. It's not like Apple doesn't offer cheaper alternatives, hell you can still buy a new iPhone 7 or get one for free but.... that's not what people want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad