Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yup, if you were able to hold out through the 12.9" Pro, the 9.7" Pro, and the 10.5" Pro (where I caved in), this NEW Pro will be the top of the heap for years and years. Quite a feat of engineering.
Yeah its the gift I got for myself.

I have the Iphone XS Max 512gb, figured might as well go full on Apple now. It's been on back order from the store I went to, so I have to wait until they call me, which shouldn't be too long. I wanted the 1TB, I didn't think so many people would go for that either, but they did. I had to wait a week and a half for my 512 XS Max as well.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yeah its the gift I got for myself.

I have the Iphone XS Max 512gb, figured might as well go full on Apple now. It's been on back order from the store I went to, so I have to wait until they call me, which shouldn't be too long. I wanted the 1TB, I didn't think so many people would go for that either, but they did. I had to wait a week and a half for my 512 XS Max as well.

I struggle just to fill 256 gb, think I'm at like 232 with everything I could possibly want/need.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Apple is so desperate to sell the XR, holy crap lol.

They've finally found the price ceiling for all these phones, I think. I know more people are getting the X than the XS, XS Max or XR.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

They've finally found the price ceiling for all these phones, I think. I know more people are getting the X than the XS, XS Max or XR.
I love my XS Max. Would never want a smaller one than this or bigger. I do miss how slim my 7 plus was though.

Also 512gb, zero worries about deleting crap.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I love my XS Max. Would never want a smaller one than this or bigger. I do miss how slim my 7 plus was though.

Also 512gb, zero worries about deleting crap.
I’m going to get the XS cause I want the A12. If the XR had 3D Touch I would have gotten that one when it was $0 on contract.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That's weird though. It's a higher quality phone than the 7 and those did. Are you sure?

Edit: haptic tap vs 3d touch. Does it really make a big difference? Not really.
It does.

You can't quick access apps from the home screen with the force touch anymore. For example, on my 6s, if I want to text someone immediately, I simply 3D Touch the "messages" app, get the 3 most frequent or recent names I've texted and can instantly open the window. Not to mention the XR has no peek-and-pop, which is another big thing I use 3D Touch for.

Haptic touch doesn't cut it.

The XR cut it out to make room for the LCD screen and they didn't want to add the panel for fear of making it too bulky, so 3D Touch was cut and it's simply a software feature (haptic touch). It's not the same thing imo and isn't as useful as the real 3D Touch, which Apple never fully utilized anyways and is probably going to cut out in next year's phones anyways.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It does.

You can't quick access apps from the home screen with the force touch anymore. For example, on my 6s, if I want to text someone immediately, I simply 3D Touch the "messages" app, get the 3 most frequent or recent names I've texted and can instantly open the window. Not to mention the XR has no peek-and-pop, which is another big thing I use 3D Touch for.

Haptic touch doesn't cut it.

The XR cut it out to make room for the LCD screen and they didn't want to add the panel for fear of making it too bulky, so 3D Touch was cut and it's simply a software feature (haptic touch). It's not the same thing imo and isn't as useful as the real 3D Touch, which Apple never fully utilized anyways and is probably going to cut out in next year's phones anyways.

Man I'm definitely not using this phone to its full potential. The Xs Max.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I thought all apple ones after 6 have the 3D touch?

Nope, something to do with the display tech. It's a feature that I usually forget exists on my 8.

In a slow way, I've now added everything, but an Apple TV to my life...my series 3 watch arrived last week, and I like it a lot. Good battery life, and I like the HR monitoring. Oddly enough, the achievements keep me motivated to close my activities rings. The rest of the things are standard smartwatch whatevers.

But like most things Apple, lol at the prices they charge for official watch bands. Part of my reasoning in getting an AW, is that I collect watches anyway (albeit cheaply), but even the cheap bonded leather bands I have will last for years...and my AW will be obsolete by then. I guess I need to remember than watches are a literal fashion accessory though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nope, something to do with the display tech. It's a feature that I usually forget exists on my 8.

In a slow way, I've now added everything, but an Apple TV to my life...my series 3 watch arrived last week, and I like it a lot. Good battery life, and I like the HR monitoring. Oddly enough, the achievements keep me motivated to close my activities rings. The rest of the things are standard smartwatch whatevers.

But like most things Apple, lol at the prices they charge for official watch bands. Part of my reasoning in getting an AW, is that I collect watches anyway (albeit cheaply), but even the cheap bonded leather bands I have will last for years...and my AW will be obsolete by then. I guess I need to remember than watches are a literal fashion accessory though.

Yeah I have not gotten the apple watch because I too collect watches and with tech, they become obsolete or upgrade to the point where it might not work as well years down the line.

My watches will.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Man I'm definitely not using this phone to its full potential. The Xs Max.
and that's kind of the point. They had this great feature that they never used or marketed to its full potential and look geared up to exclude from their next line of phones and replace with "haptic touch" since so few people actually realized what 3D Touch is/does.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
and that's kind of the point. They had this great feature that they never used or marketed to its full potential and look geared up to exclude from their next line of phones and replace with "haptic touch" since so few people actually realized what 3D Touch is/does.
I literally, no lie, just messed around with it and was like man...

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

I recently switched back to iOS (woohoo) and went with the X

XS was too expensive and not a real upgrade over the X

XS Max too big (and expensive)

XR too big as well, and I actually like and use 3D touch/force touch

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yep, got my X a year ago and it's awesome. I've messed around with the XS and I can't tell the difference.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The way I see it is my iPhone 6s is still real smooth but the battery is just awful (this after the exchange of batteries). I can only imagine how long the A11 Bionic will hold up in the X if my 6s is still relatively smooth and useable until the battery goes down 20% doing very little in about 5 minutes lol.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
X is the best phone I've ever had for personal use. They gave me a 8 for work and I hate having the damn home button again. My battery life after a year is starting to get a bit annoying. I might check on a replacement battery if anyone knows the cost for the X.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I had the 7 Plus 256gb before this one, the XS Max doesn't feel that much bigger, it is heavier though. I kind of miss how thin the 7+ was, a shame they were not able to keep that slimness and I miss the matte black option, but I have space gray, looks nice but I got a case on this thing right away as the matte black, even with a case on since day one, got tiny little scratches anyway.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Went from an 8 Plus to the X when the X came out...

I like the X, and for awhile have preferred the smaller form factor of it.

But I'd be lying if I said I did not have the urge to get the XS Max ... that bigger screen is always calling my name.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did anyone else ever have this problem? 2 Weeks ago when I turned on my 8 Plus for at least 5 minutes I could not call anyone or text anyone. For example when I press the first number I would hear the dial tone sound which would not stop unless I closed the phone icon. If I tried to put the first letter of a contact name to text them it would not work. Now I still on iOS 11.02 so I decided to do a backup and download iOS 12.1 to see if that fixed the problem. Worst case scenario I had an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar if that didn’t work, however I’m happy to say iOS 12.1 fixed those problems and has been working great on my 8 Plus.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Got the iPhone X. It’s insane, whoa. The battery, the screen, the speakers. God damn. It’s also the perfect size to me. Similar body to a 6s, but much bigger screen.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Got the iPhone X. It’s insane, whoa. The battery, the screen, the speakers. God damn. It’s also the perfect size to me. Similar body to a 6s, but much bigger screen.
Yup enjoying the battery life on my X, especially the standby time

I wouldn’t use my S8 for a few hours and would lose at least 10 %

Probably Google Play Services or some other shit draining battery in the background, don’t have time to investigate or troubleshoot, f*** that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad