Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Doubt they ditch the notch unless they do the Samsung pinhole type thing for the camera and sensors which seems to be worse, IMO.
The thing is the bezels on the iPhone X's are just as big as say the Galaxy Note 9's top and bottom bezel with no notch and the cameras / speaker / IR sensor fitting in there just fine.

Apple has this habit of always leaving more to be desired so they can sell you on their stuff every year with just some minor improvements.

I didn't hate the notch at first but it's getting more annoying to me as time goes on and I may swap back to my Note 9. I personally don't pledge allegiance to any company. Not sure Apple will remove the notch anytime soon but they can easily keep the same size screen / bezel ratio and remove the notch. And I fully expect them to do that at some point. I think the biggest hurdle in doing that is the curved glass all the way around. Might have to make it more flat / have an edge on it. Or... make the bezel just a SMIDGE bigger.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The thing is the bezels on the iPhone X's are just as big as say the Galaxy Note 9's top and bottom bezel with no notch and the cameras / speaker / IR sensor fitting in there just fine.

Apple has this habit of always leaving more to be desired so they can sell you on their stuff every year with just some minor improvements.

I didn't hate the notch at first but it's getting more annoying to me as time goes on and I may swap back to my Note 9. I personally don't pledge allegiance to any company. Not sure Apple will remove the notch anytime soon but they can easily keep the same size screen / bezel ratio and remove the notch. And I fully expect them to do that at some point. I think the biggest hurdle in doing that is the curved glass all the way around. Might have to make it more flat / have an edge on it. Or... make the bezel just a SMIDGE bigger.
samsung_galaxy_note9_template_2048x.jpg

apple-iphone-xs-review-5-640x640.jpg

The top and bottom bezels are much smaller on the X/XS. I can understand not liking the notch though. Notch doesn't bother me and I hate Samsung's version of Android and like iOS, so I guess I'm biased.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
samsung_galaxy_note9_template_2048x.jpg

apple-iphone-xs-review-5-640x640.jpg

The top and bottom bezels are much smaller on the X/XS. I can understand not liking the notch though. Notch doesn't bother me and I hate Samsung's version of Android and like iOS, so I guess I'm biased.

upload_2019-4-2_12-11-12.jpeg

Yeah i think the one I was reading was including the side bezel which obviously there virtually is none on the Samsung "infinity" screen. So its definitely a bit thicker on the Samsung (top and bottom.)

Still don't see the technology not happening where a speaker, camera and IR sensor couldn't fit in that area, especially if they remove the curved edges.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Rumors are that the 2019 iPhones will be close to the exact same except the high-end one will have 3 cameras and they will charge Airpods by resting them on the back of the phone.

The 2020 ones are rumored to be different sizes so we may see the next shakeup then.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Apple's bet the farm on this one. I'm not interested in another ongoing streaming service but I'll try it for a month.

It’s ALMOST to the point where getting cable/dish is worth it again. You have to spend 10 bucks on every stations streaming service. Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Internet is already pushing over 100 dollars alone.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It’s ALMOST to the point where getting cable/dish is worth it again. You have to spend 10 bucks on every stations streaming service. Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Internet is already pushing over 100 dollars alone.

It's not like you can't have internet these days. Most high speed plans including fiber are about $60 per month around here.

5G will change this a bit.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It’s worth it to split a satellite subscription among a few people, if you can make due with only one or two receivers in your house. That and a VPN for downloading and you’re all set.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Finally found a battery case that works with the X. It’s the Mophie Juice Pack Wireless. $99 CDN. It charges over USB-C, then cleverly charges the iPhone battery by induction. It leaves the bottom of the phone unobstructed (for dock use, etc) and the build quality is typical Mophie perfection. Way cheaper than the $180 Apple is asking for theirs.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Just switched from Android and went with the X. So far so good, though I'm still getting used to some small differences between the two OS. I do miss the rear fingerprint scanner I had on my old phone, but it's not a deal breaker. The battery has been much, much better than I was expecting, especially coming from a OnePlus 6. I love CarPlay, much more stable and reliable than Android Auto. Didn't think I'd use it as much as I have. Facetime also blows Duo out of the water so that's been nice when my wife or I want to talk to our son.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
iOS 13 is being announced soon. Seems like minimal updates on this one as well. With enhanced performance, I'm fine with that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just switched from Android and went with the X. So far so good, though I'm still getting used to some small differences between the two OS. I do miss the rear fingerprint scanner I had on my old phone, but it's not a deal breaker. The battery has been much, much better than I was expecting, especially coming from a OnePlus 6. I love CarPlay, much more stable and reliable than Android Auto. Didn't think I'd use it as much as I have. Facetime also blows Duo out of the water so that's been nice when my wife or I want to talk to our son.

You should be able to separate what you do on the phone and carplay view. My maps shouldn't disappear when I do anything else like go make a call.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Dark mode sounds like a feature they've had for 10 years and waited to roll out until a year where they legitimately didn't have a damn thing else to push out in an update.

They used to set trends. Then Jobs died and they got behind them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Dark mode sounds like a feature they've had for 10 years and waited to roll out until a year where they legitimately didn't have a damn thing else to push out in an update.

It's an interesting time to look at phone marketing/sale trends. Really, nothing of note has come out in a long time. The foldable phone will be the next big thing, but prices need to come down. The general public has spoken (proven in sales sales figures) and most are not going to spend the current asking rates on flagship phones. I'm interested in seeing how the $400 new Google phone sells. Really, the turning point was when phone companies stopped subsidizing phones every couple years.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's an interesting time to look at phone marketing/sale trends. Really, nothing of note has come out in a long time. The foldable phone will be the next big thing, but prices need to come down. The general public has spoken (proven in sales sales figures) and most are not going to spend the current asking rates on flagship phones. I'm interested in seeing how the $400 new Google phone sells. Really, the turning point was when phone companies stopped subsidizing phones every couple years.

Prices need to go down and screens need to stop breaking.

Plus, to me, the fold phone is a novelty item. Not very practical.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Prices need to go down and screens need to stop breaking.

Plus, to me, the fold phone is a novelty item. Not very practical.
I think the usefulness of the foldable phone is if the user watches media on their phone. If you ride public transit for example, being able to catch up on a missed episode on your way in without needing a separate device is awesome. Just not for $2,000 (and currently breaking).

Reactions: CPTN71

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
That's all I've ever wanted. The triple-click "dark mode" was a decent enough workaround, but true dark mode will be on 24/7 on my phone. Can't stand the all-white apps like mail readers and web browsers.

I used dark themes on my Galaxy S6 snd S8

I prefer light mode during the day, especially when I’m outdoors, and dark at night
In iOS there will be an automatic dark mode

Apple is late when it comes to such features but when they add them, they execute it well.
Plus since it’s iOS, it means major 3rd party apps will add dark mode as well

Reactions: Supermassive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In the past when I upgraded from the iPhone 5 to the 6s and later on from the 6s to the 8 Plus, I always went to my local Apple Store and traded in my current iPhone under that program where they give me a gift card depending on what old iPhone was worth and used it towards my cost. This October when I get the iPhone 11 or whatever the equivalent is to the 8 Plus will be, I'm planning on doing the same thing and I wonder if the Apple Store would allow me to keep my 8 Plus while I set up my new iPhone? In the past they had me erase all the data of my old iPhone and they took it in the back. Since I would set up my new one in the store I would like to use the quick start setup so all my data and apps can transfer over a lot faster, but I won't get to do that if they first make me erase everything on my 8 Plus.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
In the past when I upgraded from the iPhone 5 to the 6s and later on from the 6s to the 8 Plus, I always went to my local Apple Store and traded in my current iPhone under that program where they give me a gift card depending on what old iPhone was worth and used it towards my cost. This October when I get the iPhone 11 or whatever the equivalent is to the 8 Plus will be, I'm planning on doing the same thing and I wonder if the Apple Store would allow me to keep my 8 Plus while I set up my new iPhone? In the past they had me erase all the data of my old iPhone and they took it in the back. Since I would set up my new one in the store I would like to use the quick start setup so all my data and apps can transfer over a lot faster, but I won't get to do that if they first make me erase everything on my 8 Plus.

Just back your phone up to the cloud right before you go in.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just back your phone up to the cloud right before you go in.
I already knew about doing that and I previously did that when I upgraded from the 5 to the 6s. However even with the iCloud backup wouldn't it still be faster having the quick start setup, instead of the regular backup from iCloud option? For example with the quick start setup the password for my Wi-Fi at home is already saved and despite the iCloud backup, it does not get transferred over when I select restore back up from iCloud in the setup process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad