Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I already knew about doing that and I previously did that when I upgraded from the 5 to the 6s. However even with the iCloud backup wouldn't it still be faster having the quick start setup, instead of the regular backup from iCloud option? For example with the quick start setup the password for my Wi-Fi at home is already saved and despite the iCloud backup, it does not get transferred over when I select restore back up from iCloud in the setup process.

You can do the quick set up as well and then wipe your old phone. You take your new phone and it will capture an image on the old or vice versa. Once it starts to download everything you’re good. I would always back up your phone just in case. It’s fairly simple

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You can do the quick set up as well and then wipe your old phone. You take your new phone and it will capture an image on the old or vice versa. Once it starts to download everything you’re good. I would always back up your phone just in case. It’s fairly simple
Do you think whoever helps me at the Apple Store will let me do that? Like I said in the past when I upgraded from the 5 to the 6s and the 6s to the 8 Plus, once the transaction was complete they told me to erase everything off my old iPhone and than I started setting up my new one.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Do you think whoever helps me at the Apple Store will let me do that? Like I said in the past when I upgraded from the 5 to the 6s and the 6s to the 8 Plus, once the transaction was complete they told me to erase everything off my old iPhone and than I started setting up my new one.

Ask them. I never get phones at the store but rather have them shipped to me. I take care of everything and then send back to ATT when I'm done. I feel like it's way easier.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ask them. I never get phones at the store but rather have them shipped to me. I take care of everything and then send back to ATT when I'm done. I feel like it's way easier.
That's what I will have to do. Personally I find it easier for me going to the Apple Store since I previously mentioned that I trade in my old iPhone under that program where they give me a gift card towards the cost of my new one.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to ask this question. For those who have an iPhone X, X S, X S Max, or XR when setting up the Face ID does it matter if you doing it while wearing a hat? Whenever I go out I wear a hat so once I'm at the Apple Store to get the iPhone 11 and setting up there, I would be wearing one. However I'm wondering does that mean I would always have to wear it when unlocking the phone, so should I take it off when setting it up so it can see my face clearly? Obviously when I'm at home and using it I don't wear any hats at that time.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I forgot to ask this question. For those who have an iPhone X, X S, X S Max, or XR when setting up the Face ID does it matter if you doing it while wearing a hat? Whenever I go out I wear a hat so once I'm at the Apple Store to get the iPhone 11 and setting up there, I would be wearing one. However I'm wondering does that mean I would always have to wear it when unlocking the phone, so should I take it off when setting it up so it can see my face clearly? Obviously when I'm at home and using it I don't wear any hats at that time.
Take your hat off to set up the Face ID. The hat shouldn’t be an issue afterwards.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So my XS Max went Black Screen of Death yesterday. The weirdest thing is that everything but the screen works, but Siri doesn't respond to me anymore. That is really weird.

I am curious if there's a way to back up what I had on my phone, I think the last back-up I had done was more than a month ago. Is there a way for me to back up my files, or if I go to Apple in the next few days, can they find a way to move all of my files from that phone to the new one? I have a lot of books and pictures of my family that I took that I don't have other copies of, I would absolutely hate to lose some of those pictures as some are of family members that have since passed on.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dark mode sounds like a feature they've had for 10 years and waited to roll out until a year where they legitimately didn't have a damn thing else to push out in an update.

They used to set trends. Then Jobs died and they got behind them.
My phone is perma-dark mode right now, like so dark, I can't see shit.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So my XS Max went Black Screen of Death yesterday. The weirdest thing is that everything but the screen works, but Siri doesn't respond to me anymore. That is really weird.

I am curious if there's a way to back up what I had on my phone, I think the last back-up I had done was more than a month ago. Is there a way for me to back up my files, or if I go to Apple in the next few days, can they find a way to move all of my files from that phone to the new one? I have a lot of books and pictures of my family that I took that I don't have other copies of, I would absolutely hate to lose some of those pictures as some are of family members that have since passed on.
Should be able to connect it to a computer, open it up as a storage location and copy the pictures and videos off of it. Should also be able to back it up to a computer through iTunes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Should be able to connect it to a computer, open it up as a storage location and copy the pictures and videos off of it. Should also be able to back it up to a computer through iTunes.

It definitely wouldn't. Went to Apple and they replaced the screen for me, the issue was something went haywire with the connector for the screen and phone, my data was fine. If anything, I just bought 50gb icloud space, I'm good now.

Thanks for the help though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It definitely wouldn't. Went to Apple and they replaced the screen for me, the issue was something went haywire with the connector for the screen and phone, my data was fine. If anything, I just bought 50gb icloud space, I'm good now.

Thanks for the help though.

You’re right, no screen means no ability to allow the computer permissions to access the phone. I didn’t think about that. Glad to hear you’re rolling again though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You’re right, no screen means no ability to allow the computer permissions to access the phone. I didn’t think about that. Glad to hear you’re rolling again though.
Yeah, it was annoying but again, Apple Customer Care is top f***ing notch. Samsung would have made me wait, had me send out my phone, then charge me for some fee and then give me some rinky dink S6 as some loaner phone.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I thought there were a couple of multiple profiles you can set up, it's been a while since I did it. I did mine without a hat and even when I wear one it's fine. It's looking for certain points on your face, nose, eyes, chin. The only problem I ever had is mirrored aviator sunglasses. Can't wear those and open the phone but other glasses work fine.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well after almost 20 months my iPhone X battery finally doesn't last the whole day (just barely). I'll be getting the new iphone in Sept anyway.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Well after almost 20 months my iPhone X battery finally doesn't last the whole day (just barely). I'll be getting the new iphone in Sept anyway.
Same issue here, hence the battery case. Battery health at 88%. I’ll be doing a battery replacement when the phone + case can’t last a day. The 11 will be basically the same phone as the X.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have an iPhone 6 still and my battery drops to like 50% after an hour. It’s in the red around 5pm.

I missed the window on the Apple battery replacement offer blah. Anyone know how much it costs at the Apple store for them to put in a new one?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I have an iPhone 6 still and my battery drops to like 50% after an hour. It’s in the red around 5pm.

I missed the window on the Apple battery replacement offer blah. Anyone know how much it costs at the Apple store for them to put in a new one?
Kudos to you for soldiering on with the 6

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

I had a 6S that I gave to my mom a couple months ago. I went in to replace the battery first as it was running at 80%. They were going to charge me like 50ish for a replacement battery but the guy started poking around in order to find a reason to just give me a replacement phone. Ended up getting a replacement 6S for the $50 and didn't have to wait for them to fix the old one. That was my only experience in an actual apple store and it went very well. You may want to just go in and talk to them and see what they can do.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I had a 6S that I gave to my mom a couple months ago. I went in to replace the battery first as it was running at 80%. They were going to charge me like 50ish for a replacement battery but the guy started poking around in order to find a reason to just give me a replacement phone. Ended up getting a replacement 6S for the $50 and didn't have to wait for them to fix the old one. That was my only experience in an actual apple store and it went very well. You may want to just go in and talk to them and see what they can do.

Yeah, I’ve never had anything but positive experiences at the Apple Store.

Most recently was them replacing my dropped iPhone that didn’t have the original screen on it for free.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah, I’ve never had anything but positive experiences at the Apple Store.

Most recently was them replacing my dropped iPhone that didn’t have the original screen on it for free.

I appreciate the fact that even though apple stores are really busy, the people who work there still give off positive vibes. There's really only one other place where I feel like I constantly get great customer service and that's Southwest Airlines.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I appreciate the fact that even though apple stores are really busy, the people who work there still give off positive vibes. There's really only one other place where I feel like I constantly get great customer service and that's Southwest Airlines.

Apple has tremendous customer service compared to other retailers. I think the thing that has changed over the years is their ability to replace phones or batteries for free. It used to be a free for all and now they are much more restrictive. Some people equate poor customer service with not getting what they want. Are they helpful and friendly? Yes. By contrast, ever try bringing your phone with a problem to Verizon or ATT... lol?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Same issue here, hence the battery case. Battery health at 88%. I’ll be doing a battery replacement when the phone + case can’t last a day. The 11 will be basically the same phone as the X.

That's disappointing and not. Better battery life and camera I assume. I don't know what they can possibly do differently with the hardware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad