Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
have been trying to hold on for another year until next year's new phones, but my contract is up in March and my battery on my iPhone 6s is still absolutely awful even after the battery replacement, so I'm looking at the XS in March when my contract is up.

I'd consider the Max, but it's still a huge phone lol...

IMO, if you're definitely going to get a new phone, I would go by what type of use you give the phone. For calling, texting, and general surfing, the XS is great and a great size. But, if you watch a lot of shows and sports on your phone, it's worth the extra hundred to upgrade the size.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
didn't realize that literally the only difference between the XR and the XS/XS Max is the screen. Apparently the XR has a better battery life too.

hmm, now I gotta think.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
OLED vs. LCD
Screen resolution
Force touch
Camera
Steel frame vs. Aluminum

OLED vs. LCD = screen resolution. LCD gives better battery life, though
Force touch is the biggest waste. I only use it to delete an email
Camera in phones have all become so good over the last several years that I can't tell the difference anymore
Once a case is on, not a huge difference between steel and aluminum frame

I'd go with XR

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m one of the few people who actually use 3D Touch a fair bit, so that’s almost a deal breaker that the XR doesn't have it.

The battery would probably make up for it, but still, losing 3D Touch would be a big loss for me tbh

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I’m one of the few people who actually use 3D Touch a fair bit, so that’s almost a deal breaker that the XR doesn't have it.

The battery would probably make up for it, but still, losing 3D Touch would be a big loss for me tbh

Couldn't Apple just add a delay when leaving your finger on the screen for 'x' milliseconds?

The 3d touch is a neat feature, but I also forget that it's there most of the time too. It just seems like something they didn't advertise or developers really never developed for.

But to talk about things got changed for the worse...how Apple messed up the swiping on my iPad, that drives me nuts. Now I feel like I have to use the home button to bring up the multitasking view, otherwise, I have to use that long, slow dragging motion. Boo.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Couldn't Apple just add a delay when leaving your finger on the screen for 'x' milliseconds?

The 3d touch is a neat feature, but I also forget that it's there most of the time too. It just seems like something they didn't advertise or developers really never developed for.

But to talk about things got changed for the worse...how Apple messed up the swiping on my iPad, that drives me nuts. Now I feel like I have to use the home button to bring up the multitasking view, otherwise, I have to use that long, slow dragging motion. Boo.
They could have and they should have. They did it for a few things, such as in-apps (like texting as a cursor), I’m not sure if it’s in third party apps as a long press to peek and pop. I know it’s not on the home screen. I’ll have to go play with one in person. If it’s in other third party apps then the XR becomes a definite buy for me, otherwise I’ll have to actually think about it in regards to an XS/XS Max.

XR is like the perfect size for me though so I may just make the sacrifice of losing 3D Touch even if it’s not in as peek and pop in third party apps with a long press.

EDIT: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/al...ull-miss-with-iphone-xr-haptic-touch-0187406/

Nope, no peak and pop. Damn... ugh. I don’t know now lol.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yup, if you were able to hold out through the 12.9" Pro, the 9.7" Pro, and the 10.5" Pro (where I caved in), this NEW Pro will be the top of the heap for years and years. Quite a feat of engineering.
I almost bought the 10.5 at one point, but I figured after the iPhone X and the rumors about the new iPad Pro I would hold off until this winter since it would figure to be a massive upgrade. I still have a buggy Surface Pro that is adequate for now but I can see the new iPad Pro replacing 99% of what I do on my Surface Pro.

Reactions: Supermassive

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
new MBA looks beautiful but damn at that price in CAD. Was looking forward to something a bit cheaper.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
new MBA looks beautiful but damn at that price in CAD. Was looking forward to something a bit cheaper.
They set the market now.

Their prices are ridiculous. People have said that for a long time when it wasn't really true, now it is.

Reactions: Beville

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
They set the market now.

Their prices are ridiculous. People have said that for a long time when it wasn't really true, now it is.

But until people start voting with their wallets...not in the market for a new laptop though, and if I did, I'd probably still get a Windows 10 one, some of the HP ones look interesting, like the recent one with leather...not everything has to be shades of grey or black. And for a company that prides itself on thinking different, all they do is make their laptops thinner and thinner, removing ports along the way.

The updated Mini is a mixed bag, at least they didn't solder the RAM, but $800 for a Core i3 is weak.

The A12x in the new iPad Pro is very intriguing, but the lack of mouse support and a file manager just kills my interest, I'm not going to gorilla arm a screen.

But the prices they are charging for the folio case and folio keyboard are f***ing offensive. Don't even think the folio keyboard has backlit keys.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Finally took the plunge, and ordered an XR to replace my 6s plus. I’m still really not thrilled about losing the headphone jack, but the smaller phone/bigger screen, and not having to worry about storage will sure be nice. If I hadn’t had to have gotten the 16gb (only one in stock, and my blackberry had broke), I wouldn’t have upgraded, but oh well.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
3D Touch is something that you have to seek and find its implementations. Like calling one of your favourite contacts without opening the phone app. Or checking the weather without opening the weather app. Most built-in apps have some useful stuff. It somewhat bridges the gap between Apple’s plain ol’ App Drawer and Android’s widgets. But if you don’t use it now, you won’t miss it if it’s not on the XR, no question.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Little update :

I finally switched back

Got myself the iPhone X (space grey)

iOS has come a long way since my last iPhone experience (iPhone 4).

the almost bezelless screen is nice.

Face ID and 3D Touch rock, some apps are better optimized vs Android and standby battery time is also better than Android.

I’m also enjoying iMessage.

Overall I’m really happy tbh

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I picked up the X at Verizon yesterday. Upgraded from the 8 plus. The X was $400 off so Im paying around $20 a month for it now which is less than what I was paying per month for the 8.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not hardware related, but the iTunes Store has a lot of great movies on sale for under $10 right now. I’ve been using Plex but have started collecting in iTunes for a few weeks instead of buying blu-rays. Might cancel Netflix too if they continue to jack their rates up.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Picked up a new 17/18 MacBook Pro in space gray.

Wanted to transition to just a 12.9 iPad Pro as my "computer" but, considering they want $199 for the keyboard/cover attachment on top of the $799+ starting price for a iPad Pro, you're basically spending laptop money.

The new Airs are nice but, they only weigh .25 lbs lighter, and actually thicker at the thickest point. Might as well get the MBP .. helps its the more powerful machine.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Picked up a new 17/18 MacBook Pro in space gray.

Wanted to transition to just a 12.9 iPad Pro as my "computer" but, considering they want $199 for the keyboard/cover attachment on top of the $799+ starting price for a iPad Pro, you're basically spending laptop money.

The new Airs are nice but, they only weigh .25 lbs lighter, and actually thicker at the thickest point. Might as well get the MBP .. helps its the more powerful machine.

Don't buy the kepboard or any accessories if you can help it from Apple. They are good quality but overpriced IMO. I got a $15 bluetooth keyboard for my iPad from Amazon. Works great.

Also do you need the newest iPad pro. Look for refurbished models if you want to save some money.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Don't buy the kepboard or any accessories if you can help it from Apple. They are good quality but overpriced IMO. I got a $15 bluetooth keyboard for my iPad from Amazon. Works great.

Also do you need the newest iPad pro. Look for refurbished models if you want to save some money.

Wanted the newest iPad Pro because of the A12 chip... that device is built to last for a long, long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->