Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
iOS 12 saved my iPhone 6s. It's so fast and smooth, no stuttering or anything. No big changes other than fixing all the trash they ****ed up performance wise in iOS 11. It feels super stable. Not sure on battery life since I'm charging it now. Everything loads and launches faster.

I feel confident this will last me until next September's releases now. I was having doubts, but iOS 12 legit saved my 6s performance.
Can confirm, my family’s 6s’s are nice and snappy now.

Worth mentioning that iOS 12 is only a 1.37 GB download and a very quick install. It’s certainly not an all-new build. No issues with installs on any of our devices. So glad the update hiccups are in the past.

Is the password storage feature new, or has it always been there and I’ve never noticed it? I’ve been using Dashlane, but the Apple feature works fantastic.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Hey is anyone else experiencing an issue where notifications are not being grouped for their iPhone 6? All the settings look normal and fine. It's happening to my girlfriends phone.

Meanwhile, battery life and performance on my iPhone X has been outstanding.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Just got it. Minor improvements, but needed. It's refreshing to not read about any panic. I haven't seen one negative story on it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Looking at reviews of the Apple Watch Series 4, I’m having a tough time justifying the purchase. Seems like it’s a great upgrade IF you need the advanced functionality, like the GPS, LTE, waterproofing, Walkie talkie, podcasts, more complications *gasp* but for regular use any Apple Watch seems to work just fine, as long as the battery isn’t over a year old.

Best thing to do is to use two watch faces that you can swipe between, to use all the complications you need.

If you’re buying used, negotiate a partial battery replacement cost into the price. People are unloading them like crazy on kijiji, but who knows what you’re getting for battery life.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Does anyone know the best route to go with a cracked screen?

I've had iPhones for over six years, and never had any problems. I got the iPhone 8 Plus in July, and later that month, it fell without a case and the screen cracked bad. After putting it off for a while, I took it into a place called FoneLab, which had pretty good reviews. They said it would be $160 for a lower-quality screen that you can't see very well in the sun, or $225 for an Apple replacement. I picked the $225 option, and bought a case/screen protector right away. Less than 48 hours later, a small drop onto a carpeted floor (like, not even a foot) with all that on caused a crack right through the top. The company said it voids their warranty as it's physical damage. I'm kinda annoyed now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know the best route to go with a cracked screen?

I've had iPhones for over six years, and never had any problems. I got the iPhone 8 Plus in July, and later that month, it fell without a case and the screen cracked bad. After putting it off for a while, I took it into a place called FoneLab, which had pretty good reviews. They said it would be $160 for a lower-quality screen that you can't see very well in the sun, or $225 for an Apple replacement. I picked the $225 option, and bought a case/screen protector right away. Less than 48 hours later, a small drop onto a carpeted floor (like, not even a foot) with all that on caused a crack right through the top. The company said it voids their warranty as it's physical damage. I'm kinda annoyed now.
When I had the iPhone 6s in April 2016 I was at a McDonald's and accidently dropped it on the floor and the screen was cracked, however the phone itself was still working. Anyway I went to the closest Apple Store and maybe it's because I had Apple Care they saw me right away without an appointment and 2 hours later I returned and the screen was fixed.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
When I had the iPhone 6s in April 2016 I was at a McDonald's and accidently dropped it on the floor and the screen was cracked, however the phone itself was still working. Anyway I went to the closest Apple Store and maybe it's because I had Apple Care they saw me right away without an appointment and 2 hours later I returned and the screen was fixed.

The first thing I did with it was go into Apple. They said since I didn't have AppleCare+, it was going to be pretty expensive. If I did have It, it would be $40.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Without Applecare I got a screen replaced on my 6S for just over $100 at Apple. They should be your 1st stop as 3rd party seems to be a bit more expensive and I just trust Apple more. This was a couple years ago and also the workings of the touch screen must still be good.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Without Applecare I got a screen replaced on my 6S for just over $100 at Apple. They should be your 1st stop as 3rd party seems to be a bit more expensive and I just trust Apple more. This was a couple years ago and also the workings of the touch screen must still be good.
Maybe I'm wrong but let's say you take your iPhone into a 3rd party location to get the screen fixed doesn't Apple say it voids the warranty? I remember reading something online where Apple can tell if you have done that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Maybe I'm wrong but let's say you take your iPhone into a 3rd party location to get the screen fixed doesn't Apple say it voids the warranty? I remember reading something online where Apple can tell if you have done that.

Yeah they will not cover anything warranty related if you went 3rd party to have your screen replaced. I think this is if anyone opens up the phone period and it's understandable so if there is not a huge variance in cost just use Apple.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

When I went to Apple, they were quoting at over $300. I checked and now that the new iPhones are coming out, it’s down to $200 which is what I paid. Obviously wish I would have checked again.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Xs is awesome. Got mine today. Stressful and busy day overall, so it has been fun to try and play with it tonight a bit. It’s incredible how much faster it feels than the 8+.

I love this screen size in this much smaller form factor. It’s so much lighter it’s not even funny.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Thinking about upgrading from my 6S plus to the XS. There’s nothing really wrong with my 6S, so I’m still just a little hesitant. But the full screen and wireless charging seem tempting.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Thinking about upgrading from my 6S plus to the XS. There’s nothing really wrong with my 6S, so I’m still just a little hesitant. But the full screen and wireless charging seem tempting.
The thing I’ve learned about Apple, is to jump on at the start of their new generations. Got a Series 1 watch? Still works. Don’t have one? Jump on with Series 4.
Want a new iPhone? An iPhone X will last you at least five years.
Want a new iPad? Anything Air, Pro or *new* iPad will last a long time.
Reliability is paramount. And a lot of defects are covered past warranty and are replaced on Apple’s dime.
The year-to-year upgrades on newer models are somewhat minimal, but the changes between generations are enormous.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
The thing I’ve learned about Apple, is to jump on at the start of their new generations. Got a Series 1 watch? Still works. Don’t have one? Jump on with Series 4.
Want a new iPhone? An iPhone X will last you at least five years.
Want a new iPad? Anything Air, Pro or *new* iPad will last a long time.
Reliability is paramount. And a lot of defects are covered past warranty and are replaced on Apple’s dime.
The year-to-year upgrades on newer models are somewhat minimal, but the changes between generations are enormous.
Exactly, and the fact my 6S plus works pretty flawlessly is a testament to that. I am sure I could get another 2 years at least out of it. But like I said, the X series has my attention peaked

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I just got the iPhone 8 Plus, just recently retired my iPhone 6 Plus. Got 4 good years out of it, now it’s time for an upgrade.

I’m curious about the Watch 4 now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know if you put your iPhone in Airplane Mode how much of the battery gets drained? Long story short last month when I was in the United States I turned off Cellular Data and Roaming, so I only used Wi-Fi when checking e-mails or any apps while in my hotel or anywhere else Wi-Fi was available. If I had to send a text or make/receive a phone call it was $6.00 a day with the package available from Bell. Now there was a few days where I needed to spend that $6.00 a day for texts and calls, which I knew would be happening in advance. However it turns out I was charged that $6.00 everyday, even though I know 100% there was some days where I never made or received any phone calls or texts. Plus as I mentioned before my Cellular Data and Roaming was turned off. In fact not one time did I turn either one on the entire time I was away and I did not turn back on my Cellular Data until I was back in Canada. Anyway I'm going back to the United States this December and when I called Bell I told them what happened, they gave me a credit for half the days I was gone and they said if I turn on Airplane Mode it will prevent me from getting and making any phone calls or sending and receiving any texts, so I won't be charged that $6.00 a day for each day I'm away. So I'm wondering does turning on Airplane Mode effect my battery of my 8 Plus anyway? If it matters I already turned off things like location services, background app refresh, auto lock is set at 30 seconds, my screen is not set at the brightest, very few of my apps have push notifications, push e-mail is turned off and other things to keep the battery lasting as long as possible which is recommended.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Does anyone know if you put your iPhone in Airplane Mode how much of the battery gets drained? Long story short last month when I was in the United States I turned off Cellular Data and Roaming, so I only used Wi-Fi when checking e-mails or any apps while in my hotel or anywhere else Wi-Fi was available. If I had to send a text or make/receive a phone call it was $6.00 a day with the package available from Bell. Now there was a few days where I needed to spend that $6.00 a day for texts and calls, which I knew would be happening in advance. However it turns out I was charged that $6.00 everyday, even though I know 100% there was some days where I never made or received any phone calls or texts. Plus as I mentioned before my Cellular Data and Roaming was turned off. In fact not one time did I turn either one on the entire time I was away and I did not turn back on my Cellular Data until I was back in Canada. Anyway I'm going back to the United States this December and when I called Bell I told them what happened, they gave me a credit for half the days I was gone and they said if I turn on Airplane Mode it will prevent me from getting and making any phone calls or sending and receiving any texts, so I won't be charged that $6.00 a day for each day I'm away. So I'm wondering does turning on Airplane Mode effect my battery of my 8 Plus anyway? If it matters I already turned off things like location services, background app refresh, auto lock is set at 30 seconds, my screen is not set at the brightest, very few of my apps have push notifications, push e-mail is turned off and other things to keep the battery lasting as long as possible which is recommended.

If you have your phone on airplane mode and aren’t doing anything on it, you’ll lose very little battery

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
In little under a year, I've bought an iPad, an old MBP (2012, non-retina, but it's running Mojave and rocking 16 GB and an SSD), and currently updating an iPhone 8 that I bought last week off eBay to iOS 12. (eBay had a 15% off 1 day coupon last week, and that knocked $75 off the phone/case/screen protector package).

:laugh::(:confused::eek::D

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, there are easily enough upgrades to justify a purchase.

Having used the Xs since release day, it's easily the best iPhone I've ever used. The size is just perfect. I one-handed my 8 Plus somehow, but I'd end up hurting my hand a bit stretching sometimes. The Xs is the perfect form factor for me.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Having used the Xs since release day, it's easily the best iPhone I've ever used. The size is just perfect. I one-handed my 8 Plus somehow, but I'd end up hurting my hand a bit stretching sometimes. The Xs is the perfect form factor for me.

The Plus also didn’t fit very well in the pocket, for me anyways. The one gripe I still have is the 18x9 ratio. I’d still prefer a 16x9 ratio for video.

But after learning to adjust one’s grip, this is the best form factor, you’re right.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
have been trying to hold on for another year until next year's new phones, but my contract is up in March and my battery on my iPhone 6s is still absolutely awful even after the battery replacement, so I'm looking at the XS in March when my contract is up.

I'd consider the Max, but it's still a huge phone lol...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad