Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
XR (the 6.1) starts at $799.
$1029 CDN + tax for the 64gb version with a 326 dpi LCD screen is absolutely embarrassing for Apple. If you’re going to pay Samsung S9 prices, you should really get something comparable to S9 specs or quality. Apple really screws the mid-range buyer, over and over. It’s too bad. That Xr could have conquered the market at a better price point.

That said, if you buy the top of the line, you really do get the best smartphone experience. I guess it’s just Apple’s way of pushing everyone up the price ladder.

Great updates, btw, Hunter Gathers. Always appreciated. You going to make any purchases?

Reactions: tacogeoff

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why? It's dead. Get over it. Bluetooth headphones are incredible right now. Audiophile? No, but the new Panasonic headset I just picked up is great. Although it may go back for the new Sony . . .

It’s not dead, and it’s literally the only reason I haven’t upgraded from my 6s plus

For a 64 GB iPhone XS Max it would cost me $1,746.47 - yikes

Holy crap. The only knock on my phone is storage so I’d want to go bigger, and that’s means it’s going to be like $2250 for the biggest XS Max? That’s... a lot

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The prices are what they are. Yeah, it's insane how much phones cost these days but even Android flagships push close to the $1k barrier so I'm not going to get too upset over $100-200 dollars more spread over 15-24 months (my personal upgrade cycle). Plus as a former Android user for 5+ years who recently switched back to an iPhone last year, I just find I enjoy iOS more, and there was always some glaring problem with my old LGs and Samsungs after 6 months to a year, so I'll pay a premium for an iPhone. And I'm not even locked into the Apple ecosystem, it's literally my only Apple product, although I'm admittedly really interested in the new Apple Watch (which will be really interesting to compare to my Garmin Forerunner 235 for fitness tracking since it has a lot more functionality), iPad Pros and AirPods.

The headphone thing is just something pretty much everyone will have to get over eventually, IMO. I'm pretty sure phones with a headphone jack will be a niche product in 5-10 years once bluetooth headphones achieve the right quality/price balance. At least for the average consumer.

The Xr model definitely seems to be pretty overpriced for what it is, hard to argue that for me personally. I also hate the standard storage sizes offered for the money, but again it's just something I'll have to budget for by either paying more sooner or holding onto my current phone longer.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Its unreal that there are people who actually exist and who make a point of defending Apple.

I still have my 6S. When I finally get around to replacing it I am just going to take the Huawei phone that Rogers basically gives away for free.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Its unreal that there are people who actually exist and who make a point of defending Apple.

I still have my 6S. When I finally get around to replacing it I am just going to take the Huawei phone that Rogers basically gives away for free.

"It's only $x, it's not that expensive..."

Probably because there's more than one instance, where someone has lost their dongle or where their Bluetooth buds aren't charged, and they want to listen to music. Google doesn't include the dongle, and they raised the price on theirs. Apple's a ~trillion dollar company because they've gotten people used to soldered down components, less ports, dongle hell, wonky laptop KBs, $1000 flagship phones...and they can keep high profit margins, which satisfies the shareholders, and most importantly, people will still buy them.

For myself, even getting a new iPhone 8 at $600 would be a tough decision, unless everyone buying an X is going to try and sell it a year, but they're still paying more than flagships from several years ago...why phones are costing as much or more than decent laptops.

edit: why is the HF board SW still so flaky

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
$1029 CDN + tax for the 64gb version with a 326 dpi LCD screen is absolutely embarrassing for Apple. If you’re going to pay Samsung S9 prices, you should really get something comparable to S9 specs or quality. Apple really screws the mid-range buyer, over and over. It’s too bad. That Xr could have conquered the market at a better price point.

That said, if you buy the top of the line, you really do get the best smartphone experience. I guess it’s just Apple’s way of pushing everyone up the price ladder.

Great updates, btw, Hunter Gathers. Always appreciated. You going to make any purchases?

I am going with the XS.

I have the 8+ right now. Good phone, but too big and heavy. Really looking forward to a smaller phone but still with a larger screen. The performance on the XS should be pretty amazing considering the X alone was blowing competitors away all year. Since the XS seems to be even faster and more powerful, it’ll be interesting for sure.

To be fair to the XR, it should have some pretty fantastic performance as well with the same internal as the higher end models.

I’m up at 4:30 every morning anyway so getting up at 2:30 won’t be a problem. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I can pretty much definitively state that wireless headphones would be nowhere near the quality they are if Apple was still pushing our phones with a 3.5.

I’m using a brand new set of the Panasonic wireless cans and they are fantastic (especially at wholesale of $199 vs the $299 they retail at). The quality jumped leaps and bounds due to that.

You can rip them for the decision as a money thing, but I much prefer life with elite wireless headphones and I really done care if it hurts anyone else.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Are we still having dongle convos.... this changed with the fricken 7. I agree with the previous post, if you need a 3.5 then don't buy an iPhone. It obviously has not impacted Apple to any extent that they would reconsider. I'd take a thinner phone over that any day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can anyone tell me how come when I check my e-mail on my 8 Plus in the draft folder it shows 5 e-mails that I have saved in my inbox of hotel and restaurant reservations for a vacation I'm going on this December, which should not be in the draft folder and I never put them in there at all. I tried to delete them and I get a message saying can not move to trash. I should also mention when I checked the draft folder on my computer they are not in there, so it's some issue with my 8 Plus.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
iOS 12 later today. Hopefully it saves my iPhone 6s because not even the new battery fixed the issues on it. Hopefully it's software related and iOS 12 fixes it because iOS 11 is the worst release I've ever encountered from Apple.

Hopefully my 6s will be able to last me until next year's release (I know, asking for a lot) but my contract is up in March and if need be, I'd upgrade then to the XS or XS Max depending on how it feels in the hand.

also going to need a laptop lol fml Apple please release something economical for a not-really-broke-but-don't-want-to-spend-too-much-student. I'm completely done with Windows.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
iOS 12 saved my iPhone 6s. It's so fast and smooth, no stuttering or anything. No big changes other than fixing all the trash they f***ed up performance wise in iOS 11. It feels super stable. Not sure on battery life since I'm charging it now. Everything loads and launches faster.

I feel confident this will last me until next September's releases now. I was having doubts, but iOS 12 legit saved my 6s performance.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm going to wait on downloading iOS 12 on my 8 Plus until some time this December. My main reason is I don't want to take a chance and have something go wrong because on the app wallet I have my tickets saved for the Leafs and Lightning game I'm going to this December in Tampa Bay while I'm on vacation.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm going to wait on downloading iOS 12 on my 8 Plus until some time this December. My main reason is I don't want to take a chance and have something go wrong because on the app wallet I have my tickets saved for the Leafs and Lightning game I'm going to this December in Tampa Bay while I'm on vacation.
All five items in my app wallet are still there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All five items in my app wallet are still there.
In the past I have read about others who download the newest iOS version once the number changes like from 11 to 12 and have had problems on the first day because to many people were trying to download it. So either way with or without the tickets in my app wallet I would still have waited.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
In the past I have read about others who download the newest iOS version once the number changes like from 11 to 12 and have had problems on the first day because to many people were trying to download it. So either way with or without the tickets in my app wallet I would still have waited.
That was an issue in the past regarding high volume, but it hasn’t really been an issue for the past few years. I wouldn’t worry about anything other than your device performing much better.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
12 seems a wee faster, grouping notifications were long overdue, otherwise, it feels similar to 11, which on iPad probably isn't bad; the gestures were generally good enough that I didn't have to use the home button often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad