Speculation: Official 2021-22 Coyotes Roster Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We weren’t exactly overwhelmed with Bunting is ready for prime time threads from the Roadrunner thread and I don’t recall him hitting any of the top prospect lists by anyone here. Much like Mayo he wasn’t ready until he was. In a covid shortened season he managed to take advantage of a liophole that under a regular length season likely wouldn’t have been eligible for.
True, but the coaches had to see something. TO took Bunting from us, and we took Sateri from TO. Scoreboard TO 1-0.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
How does Kolyachonok development is going on this season? He's only one coyotes def with positive +/- ratio
Could we rely on him to take place in top 4 next season as RD

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How does Kolyachonok development is going on this season? He's only one coyotes def with positive +/- ratio
Could we rely on him to take place in top 4 next season as RD
I think most of us fans see him as a being on the bubble for next year's roster. Mostly because there's no harm in getting big minutes in the AHL.

Currently he's 4th on our LD depth chart, but we expect Chychrun to be traded and we don't know if any other players will be brought in.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
I think most of us fans see him as a being on the bubble for next year's roster. Mostly because there's no harm in getting big minutes in the AHL.

Currently he's 4th on our LD depth chart, but we expect Chychrun to be traded and we don't know if any other players will be brought in.
Chuchryn mostly will traded until the draft and Stralman (35 yrs old) contract renewal is under question as well
I wonder the pure hockey skills development and NHL game sense reading Kolyachonok perform with under Touringy, what his celling is

cobra427

May 6, 2012
True, but the coaches had to see something. TO took Bunting from us, and we took Sateri from TO. Scoreboard TO 1-0.
Exactly, how did BA not see his potential, Bunting had a ton of goals at the end of last season. I know his 60 points is inflated because of line mates but he is a decent defensive player, unlike Strome/Duclair. This mistake, trading Garland/DVO likely soured Chych, now he wants out, BA waited one year too long and now he is getting some Karma.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
Exactly, how did BA not see his potential, Bunting had a ton of goals at the end of last season. I know his 60 points is inflated because of line mates but he is a decent defensive player, unlike Strome/Duclair. This mistake, trading Garland/DVO likely soured Chych, now he wants out, BA waited one year too long and now he is getting some Karma.
Too little and too late.
How can you blame BA for Bunting leaving when it was Chayka and Tocchet that never gave him a chance and mismanaged him? Chayka is the reason why he was a group 6 UFA when his last contract was up. He had his best opportunity and got 21 games in the NHL when BA arrived last year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How can you blame BA for Bunting leaving when it was Chayka and Tocchet that never gave him a chance and mismanaged him? Chayka is the reason why he was a group 6 UFA when his last contract was up. He had his best opportunity and got 21 games in the NHL when BA arrived last year.
The guy came up and had double digit goals in 20 games or so on a team that can't score. It's the GMs job to keep a guy like that because he might turn into a 50 point scorer. BA could have given him an extra year or 500K more per year, BA needed to figure out how to keep him, thats his job.

Reactions: Jakey53

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If we re-signed Bunting, he probably be out with an injury, we probably never pick up Ritchie and who knows how it would have affected the tank!

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Bunting really hadn't shown enough for a bigger deal than maybe $3m as an overpay (not in hindsight), we didn't look like we had the roster spots, and he allegedly wanted to leave.

He now plays for a strong team and is putting up major numbers but that's all in hindsight.

Not saying blame shouldn't be placed, absolutely should, but let's not act like everyone knew this would happen except BA and his team of scouts and coaches. I think many of us expected a 40-50 point guy at the top end, but we're wrong more often than not.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Being that BA is one of the top scouts in hockey, you would think he had seen enough to do whatever it took to keep Bunting. That is why we hired him because he is the best at recognizing talent. I think there was so much house cleaning going on that he never gave it much thought, Out with the old regime but this one was a mistake.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What would you have offered and when?
He should have been called up in the 2017-18 season, and gotten more than 5 games with the Yotes the next year. He wasn't even called up in the 18/18 season where he was almost a point a game in the AHL. He already did his time in the AHL serving four years. He signed a two year two way deal in 2019, so I'm sure he would have signed a one way for that amount or close to that. Missed opportunity, no two ways about it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The guy came up and had double digit goals in 20 games or so on a team that can't score. It's the GMs job to keep a guy like that because he might turn into a 50 point scorer. BA could have given him an extra year or 500K more per year, BA needed to figure out how to keep him, thats his job.
BA was more excited about signing Jaskin and the like.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Being that BA is one of the top scouts in hockey, you would think he had seen enough to do whatever it took to keep Bunting. That is why we hired him because he is the best at recognizing talent. I think there was so much house cleaning going on that he never gave it much thought, Out with the old regime but this one was a mistake.
One of the top scouts, great talent evaluator, build from within with youth, thats what I thought. The last guy to come up out of the blue and produce in a short amount of time was Garland. Bunting does the same thing and BA can't figure out how to keep him.

BA has unloaded Garland/DVO/Bunting and we have many later picks that we hope turn into Garland/DVO/Bunting.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
One thing that is painfully obvious is how blah our defense is. It is too bad we need a 1C so bad because I think we need and top, hard nosed dman just as bad. I never cared for Pronger but I did see how he could turn games around all by himself. If there is a chance to get Jiricec I hope GMBA can figure out how. I'm not sure he is a Pronger but definitely a step in the right direction. We have some good young D but none that can take over a game other then Chych but he's not very physical. We need someone who can clear the crease, make the great pass out of our area, play PK, and pick up some decent points.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
One thing that is painfully obvious is how blah our defense is. It is too bad we need a 1C so bad because I think we need and top, hard nosed dman just as bad. I never cared for Pronger but I did see how he could turn games around all by himself. If there is a chance to get Jiricec I hope GMBA can figure out how. I'm not sure he is a Pronger but definitely a step in the right direction. We have some good young D but none that can take over a game other then Chych but he's not very physical. We need someone who can clear the crease, make the great pass out of our area, play PK, and pick up some decent points.
I wouldn't be too disappointed or surprised if he was our pick at 2/3/4.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Didn't drink any water. Probably very thirsty....seeing a mirage in the distance...

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
You think an extra year or $500k/year more was going to convince Bunting to stick around? Armstrong got here with Bunting having less than a year to free agency. In what world does an agent tell a player to sign early and avoid going to the market with under a year to wait? The goal of Bunting's contract was to position himself for his next contract. He wasn't in a position to cash out big time, hence the shorter deal, and why it made more sense to leave a toiling team for one in which he'd get a lot of assistance scoring and building his profile. Even doubling or tripling Bunting's current contract offer is paltry compared to what he can get in what is now 1 more season.

It just doesn't make sense and there was nothing reasonable to offer him. The opportunity was poor and the last thing Armstrong needs to do is hand out extra salary this early in the rebuild on a player with such a short history. It sets the standard for all the prospects we're about to have that they can get paid early and it'll lead to poor use of the cap when it actually matters.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You think an extra year or $500k/year more was going to convince Bunting to stick around? Armstrong got here with Bunting having less than a year to free agency. In what world does an agent tell a player to sign early and avoid going to the market with under a year to wait? The goal of Bunting's contract was to position himself for his next contract. He wasn't in a position to cash out big time, hence the shorter deal, and why it made more sense to leave a toiling team for one in which he'd get a lot of assistance scoring and building his profile. Even doubling or tripling Bunting's current contract offer is paltry compared to what he can get in what is now 1 more season.

It just doesn't make sense and there was nothing reasonable to offer him. The opportunity was poor and the last thing Armstrong needs to do is hand out extra salary this early in the rebuild on a player with such a short history. It sets the standard for all the prospects we're about to have that they can get paid early and it'll lead to poor use of the cap when it actually matters.
You are missing the point. Bunting should have been up for a look see before his last year here. He was almost a point a game in the AHL before his last year here. Chayka and RT missed the boat, and maybe BA did as well, but Bunting may have had his mind made up by then, but I still think if BA offered him a contract north of what TO offered, he may still be here. Although, I think BA did not want Bunting because of risk and age, which makes little sense because of the signing of Jaskin who was much older. That's why I find it encouraging that BA signed Smith and McBain and AT is playing them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I wouldn't be too disappointed or surprised if he was our pick at 2/3/4.

Assuming we don’t win the lottery and we pick 3rd, I’d be cool with Jiricek at that spot.

Maybe trade Chychrun to Long Island for Raty to get that big center. Use their pick to grab Bichsel, another big, nasty defenseman in the 1st round. The Left-Shot Jiricek, maybe.

Then grab a couple of big centers to go with Hayton and the newly acquired Raty, Smith, and McBain. Maybe Del Bel Belluz and Gaucher at the end of the 1st?

Suddenly we have twin towers in Bichsel and Jiricek (maybe even pick Warren with our 2nd). And we’re basically all of a sudden just drowning in 6’2-6’4” young, two-way centers in Hayton, Raty, LDBB, Gaucher, Smith and McBain.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerekstar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad