Speculation: Official 2021-22 Coyotes Roster Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You have to first acquire the talent, then train them to be NHL athletes. I'd wager that's a 5 year process. So in 6 years, 2 draft classes will have made it (only a percentage).

At that point you start fine tuning your playoff team to try and win a cup. If you did a good job, eventually you win it. 12 teams have won the cup going back to 2000, 6 have a single championship in that time. So, in 21 years, 6 teams have won 2.67 cups. Those are tough odds and it's likely a big reason why you see good teams retool if they have some quality youth.

I'm not happy about the proposed timeline, but IF we win a cup, I don't think it will be a short road.

I wouldn't say I'm giving the GM 6 years to be a bubble team, though that could be the case depending on how quickly guys progress. I'm giving a GM 12 years to win a cup, or at least look like their team could, because actually winning a championship is hard.
Your 12 years is way out of wack, in my opinion. We will be in another rebuild by then. My thinking is with a rebuild you should be bubble team in three or four years, and a consistent playoff team for the next six or seven years, which may or may not include a SC. Total of about 10 years, give or take. Much depends on the players drafted every year, GM and coaching stability etc. It's not easy to win the SC.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Data mining: right now in the league there are 254 skaters who have played 72 games or more this season...

We have 2 of them. As does MTL.

More data mining: Lyubushkin has tripled his career goal output in less than 30 games after 180 with us :laugh:

Last edited:

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Data mining: right now in the league there are 254 skaters who have played 72 games or more this season...

We have 2 of them. As does MTL.

More data mining: Lyubushkin has tripled his career goal output in less than 30 games after 180 with us :laugh:
the lybushkin data is telling. good find.

More Cooley

We walk together forever
Jul 2, 2015
I dont think this (locked) article has been mentioned here, but Stralman and Eriksson is interviewed in a Swedish newspaper.

Stralman says that the atmosphere in the Yotes is one of the best he has experienced in his career and both of their families thrive in the desert and they wouldn't mind keep playing in Arizona.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Stralman is welcome to play in AZ next season but it best be in the local men's league.
I would not mind him on the roster guiding the young D but he would have to come back at a greatly reduced salary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I dont think this (locked) article has been mentioned here, but Stralman and Eriksson is interviewed in a Swedish newspaper.

Stralman says that the atmosphere in the Yotes is one of the best he has experienced in his career and both of their families thrive in the desert and they wouldn't mind keep playing in Arizona.

When there are no high or must win expectations the atmosphere is much more relaxed. Kind of telling that two players that have no chance of every winning anything going forward would love to play in this relaxed atmosphere. No snow, no fans bugging you at restaurant, play golf year round etc. I as well would love playing here in my twilight of my career.

Reactions: More Cooley

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

I'd take Stralman back, he's obviously on the back end of his career but he's rarely been responsible for the horrible defensive mistakes that the team often makes.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't see the point of signing marginal NHLers to cheap contracts unless they can be sold at the trade deadline. Stralman is too old for that.

I'd rather use contract slots for other team's cap dumps or for reclamation projects with upside.

Stralman has my respect for being a good mentor and linemate but I think we should move on from him. Either keep churning or start building.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't see the point of signing marginal NHLers to cheap contracts unless they can be sold at the trade deadline. Stralman is too old for that.

I'd rather use contract slots for other team's cap dumps or for reclamation projects with upside.

Stralman has my respect for being a good mentor and linemate but I think we should move on from him. Either keep churning or start building.
To help the kids. We’ve got a young rookie coach with little NHL experience. Obviously Housley and Stillman have a ton of NHL playing experience but they may not be back, and it’s different from a coach, versus guidance from a peer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To help the kids. We’ve got a young rookie coach with little NHL experience. Obviously Housley and Stillman have a ton of NHL playing experience but they may not be back, and it’s different from a coach, versus guidance from a peer.
I really don't care either way in regards to Stralman. I think it will depend on who BA gets back in a Chychrun trade or who becomes available in a trade. He would be way down my "to do list".

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
What about the RFAs? Crouse, Fischer, and Hayton all out with injuries and waiting for a new contract. Sounds like Garland last year (waiting on a new contract). I imagine all 3 have a set price and could be available at the draft, as well as others currently under contract! It will be a very interesting draft, to say the least...

IronFinn

Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
This bodes well for Hayton and the Coyotes future ...

In the first half of the Coyotes season, Hayton played in 26 of the 41 games and scored at a 19pt pace over 82 games.

In the second half of the Coyotes season, Hayton not only looked much better and much more confident, but he played in 33 (so far) games and is scoring at 45pt pace over 82 games.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
This bodes well for Hayton and the Coyotes future ...

In the first half of the Coyotes season, Hayton played in 26 of the 41 games and scored at a 19pt pace over 82 games.

In the second half of the Coyotes season, Hayton not only looked much better and much more confident, but he played in 33 (so far) games and is scoring at 45pt pace over 82 games.
So does this mean we will trade him? I notice he still hasn't signed a contract yet. It ain't like there are distractions.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
He's also a non-arbitration-eligible RFA, so there isn't a big rush either, I'd imagine.
So you're saying he has trade value? I imagine GMBA has a set price. The question is will a team match it? Like Chychrun, I doubt it, but if it is going to happen, it will be at the draft!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
He’s not the same as Garland or Dvorak. He’s much younger. Why would Hayton be traded?
I'm not expecting it, but am expecting surprises at the draft and it's all about the return. With GMBA @ the draft, anything goes.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not expecting it, but am expecting surprises at the draft and it's all about the return. With GMBA @ the draft, anything goes.
There will be some big swings for sure. One podcast was talkjng about Pickering going potentially in top 10 despite being very very raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad