Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
USA is waxing teams in that U18 Five Nations Tournament. They’ve beaten Sweden 8-1, Czech Republic 5-2, & Switzerland 8-1.

Hughes 6 goals & 9 assists in those games. So much for his production. This age group as a whole hasn’t lost a single international game together to this point.
Damn that kid is a savage

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
USA is waxing teams in that U18 Five Nations Tournament. They’ve beaten Sweden 8-1, Czech Republic 5-2, & Switzerland 8-1.

Hughes 6 goals & 9 assists in those games. So much for his production. This age group as a whole hasn’t lost a single international game together to this point.
But he's not averaging 2.0 ppg. So he's not the clear cut number 1 anymore. ;)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Two interesting draft eligible prospects to keep an eye on this season:

Cole Caufield (C/RW): DeBrincat-esque sniper
Cole Caufield at eliteprospects.com

Victor Soderstrom (RHD): smooth defenseman who has seamlessly transitioned from the SuperElit to the SHL
Victor Söderström at eliteprospects.com
Soderstrom looks good. His transition was seemless. I would like to stat track him, but I cannot find anywhere TOI and other metrics like that. Just raw stats. I’ve looked through a decent amount of Swedish databases for hockey and nothing. Not even on SHL main website does it have it in his bio. Kinda weird.

Not a big fan of Caufield. I have to see Caufield against men who are bigger stronger. I’m still under that sentiment that small people have to show they belong. I have a feeling it could be too much for him.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Soderstrom looks good. His transition was seemless. I would like to stat track him, but I cannot find anywhere TOI and other metrics like that. Just raw stats. I’ve looked through a decent amount of Swedish databases for hockey and nothing. Not even on SHL main website does it have it in his bio. Kinda weird.

Not a big fan of Caufield. I have to see Caufield against men who are bigger stronger. I’m still under that sentiment that small people have to show they belong. I have a feeling it could be too much for him.

Soderstrom is my current favorite.

People said the same thing about DeBrincat!
He’s getting compared to him a bunch and not just for the similar size comparison. Shooter’s first mentality, no qualms about getting to the dirty areas, and he’s a better skater than DeBrincat was at the same age.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Soderstrom is my current favorite.

People said the same thing about DeBrincat!
He’s getting compared to him a bunch and not just for the similar size comparison. Shooter’s first mentality, no qualms about getting to the dirty areas, and he’s a better skater than DeBrincat was at the same age.
I can see Caufield being good... similar to Yamamoto or Debrincat, but if I’m the Flyers, I wouldn’t target him.

I really like Dylan Cozens. He’s may favorite prospect. I do like Soderstrom a lot and hope the flyers grab him, but if for some reason Cozens falls, Hextall better trade up!

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I can see Caufield being good... similar to Yamamoto or Debrincat, but if I’m the Flyers, I wouldn’t target him.

I really like Dylan Cozens. He’s may favorite prospect. I do like Soderstrom a lot and hope the flyers grab him, but if for some reason Cozens falls, Hextall better trade up!

Haha! If Cozens is still available when the Flyers pick (I’m guessing 14-20), they’d be dumb not to draft him.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
I don't want to, man. My interest has just really sagged. Went in prepared for the season too. It's early yet, but I can barely bring myself to do it.
Just think of all the future stars that the next GM will draft, develop and trade away for some 38 year old sack of s**t veterans!

Reactions: Pantokrator

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Have you even ranked anyone yet?

I did a summer ranking/guide. But it's probably embarrassingly out of date by now, though I should hope I had good reads, both positive/negative, on some risers/fallers. It was based on last year and summer viewings. I have watched close to no prospects during this regular season.

All you have to do is watch Hughes.

I don't need to watch a minute more of Hughes, I've seen him so many times, even D-1 year. There's nothing he needs to show me.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It doesn't strike me as a great defense draft up near the top, relative to the forwards. Maybe someone keeps rising though. Again, I'm not up to date.

Byram was good in my old viewings, but I'm not sure he has that extra oomph either, like maybe a well-rounded top 4 upside. Being the best Canadian d-man certainly plays a part in hype. Though he has very soft hands and good top end skating. Cracking how high his offensive ceiling goes was something I wanted to find out this season. I really liked Soderstrom too (RHD); again, very cerebral and well-rounded in all 3 zones, but not a game breaker, I don't think. Cam York is probably more purely offensively talented than those two, and he's above average defensively too. More of a true puck mover. Broberg was the guy I had zeroed in on after Hlinka as having the best upside and all-around potential, but summer tournaments are funny stuff. He's still doing fine in the Allsvenskan.

Those are the guys I have (had?) circled anyway, to varying degrees. I really do think the forwards up high are better than the defense, but snagging any of these guys in the fringe top 10-15 area would be a solid addition to the system. They certainly seem a tier well above the others, like Robertson, etc.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad