Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Have you watched any of the World Junior A Tournament yet?
Nah not yet. Haven’t had a chance. Canada West and Russia generally have a couple top guys each year. USA is hit or miss. Flyers have been pretty active there before during Hextall’s tenure. St Ivany was there last year. Tanner Laczynski a few years back. Vorobyev too. Rubtsov had his coming out party there.

I’ll try and catch a game or two. Most likely the final.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nah not yet. Haven’t had a chance. Canada West and Russia generally have a couple top guys each year. USA is hit or miss. Flyers have been pretty active there before during Hextall’s tenure. St Ivany was there last year. Tanner Laczynski a few years back. Vorobyev too. Rubtsov had his coming out party there.

I’ll try and catch a game or two. Most likely the final.

Yeah USA has a some noteworthy first year draft eligibles this year. F Bobby Brink & D Ryan Johnson were listed in Hockey Prospect’s last top 31.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Even if the Flyers don't get Jack Hughes, I really, really like this draft. For forwards at least

Should end up with someone good at least

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don’t the NHL teams basically pick the invites? I know in the past with goalies they’ve sometimes had re-entries but it’s not always getting enough starts as first year draft eligible there.
Yeah they vote on the players they want to see.

Still kind of crazy Sanheim didn't get picked for this game and ended up going 17th overall 6 months later. The game was in Calgary too that year. Ben Thomas went instead. :laugh:

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Yeah they vote on the players they want to see.

Still kind of crazy Sanheim didn't get picked for this game and ended up going 17th overall 6 months later. The game was in Calgary too that year. Ben Thomas went instead. :laugh:

I remember that year. Since we were hosting we were basically guaranteed two spots, and Virtanen was a lock for one of them. Ben Thomas played with the team in his 16yo year, Sanheim didn't. They select the team quite early in the season, and Thomas was the "best" draft-eligible defenceman on the Hitmen at the time to nab the second spot. Then it was right around Christmas that Sanheim really broke out and became the clear front runner for the rest of the season. By the time of the actual Top Prospects game in late January, it was a joke that Thomas was there and Sanheim wasn't.

The other season ticket holders in my section and I were joking that we were surprised Thomas didn't miss the game with an "injury" to make room for Sanheim since he was clearly the better prospect.

Another note from that Top Prospects game - I called Dal Colle a bust that night. He was Virtanen-lite, an amazing shot but looked completely lost any time he didn't have the puck in the offensive zone. I couldn't believe the Islanders took him at #5 but it looks like that was a big miss in hindsight. One of my few totally correct draft predictions.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Watched 2 games of Newhook and Byram. Didn’t really see the top 10 hype for Newhook. Byram looks good, seems a little slow though.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
OK draftniks, let's fire this thread up! I'm just about giving up hope for this Flyers season and need hope for the future. Alls I know is Jack Hughes and Krappo Kikkoman. Are there any top RH defensemen or pure goal scoring forwards we should be looking for? Will Fletcher look to make any trades that will land us any more 1st rounders? Who knows? Happy New Year, holy s**t!

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
f*** me I need to start doing research.

Are there any top RH defensemen or pure goal scoring forwards we should be looking for?

If we pick top 10, we take best player, end of story.

But I was/am a big fan of the USA trio of Zegras, Turcotte, Boldy. I think Zegras is more a playmaker than the other two; Boldy is a PWF goal scoring winger. Turcotte is a wing/center hybrid but definitely has a hard driving, goal scoring element to him too. All could be top 10 picks. Lavoie will get the hype as the pure goal scorer this draft, but I worried about his IQ/overall game tbh. Feels one dimensional. Podkolzin has a pure scorer element to him but with a more well rounded game. Cozens too is a real heavy power forward with great wheels and smarts and shooting, though I need to catch up on him because I questioned his overall skill at times. Those are some consensus top 10 guys or close. There are other interesting dark horses too like Bobby Brink, etc.

As for RD, you have Soderstrom as a high IQ top 4 all around guy. But not sure he's top 10. If you're picking top 10, I think you almost have to go FWD this draft.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
With all of the early hits from last draft and free agency, they don't even really need D. Not to mention the kids they are still trying to work in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad