Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Watched Muskegon a handful of times last season for a few draft eligibles. Remember Marc Del Gaizo as a solid player; I did notice him. Not surprised he went undrafted as he's quite small and probably doesn't possess top end tools. Not surprised he's a good college player though, and maybe he'll get his name called this draft. I'm sure playing a lot with Cale Makar helps a defense partner though.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
So who is the percieved top 5 picks?
Really a top 6 or 7 at this point. Hughes, Kaako, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin, Boldy, Krebs, and really Turcotte may be in the top 3 or 4 if healthy. He has been injured and not getting stats or playing, but is a great prospect. The defense is probably out of the top 5. Byram, Broberg, York, Honka, Soderstrom and Robertson look like first rounders on D with Vlasic as a possibility too on D. Zagras, Suzuki, and Lavoie could push the 8 forwards I already listed. If the Flyers keep their pick, it will most likely be one of these players listed here. I like this draft group. Hughes and Turcotte are my favorites. Flyers need speed and scoring, and could use another dman in the pipeline.

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Really a top 6 or 7 at this point. Hughes, Kaako, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin, Boldy, Krebs, and really Turcotte may be in the top 3 or 4 if healthy. He has been injured and not getting stats or playing, but is a great prospect. The defense is probably out of the top 5. Byram, Broberg, York, Honka, Soderstrom and Robertson look like first rounders on D with Vlasic as a possibility too on D. Zagras, Suzuki, and Lavoie could push the 8 forwards I already listed. If the Flyers keep their pick, it will most likely be one of these players listed here. I like this draft group. Hughes and Turcotte are my favorites. Flyers need speed and scoring, and could use another dman in the pipeline.
Don’t leave out Caufield!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
It’s gonna be interesting with the New GM coming in soon. I actually think D is our bigger need. It’s hard to say what assets he will move, I would go for Broberg in our wheelhouse, or go differently then a guy like Honka may be around in the 2 nd

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If our pick is within the 8-14 range I could easily see them trading you a young defenseman who is controllable. (Jacob Trouba)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If our pick is within the 8-14 range I could easily see them trading you a young defenseman who is controllable. (Jacob Trouba)

I'd have no problem with that. I'm sick of hinging all hope on prospects that the team can't seem to develop properly anyway. Gimme a developed young player that can help instantly. Giroux deserves it and so do the fans.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
2o07fe.jpg

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Caulfield would be next in the listing, I really like his offense. I think the other fwds will go ahead of him though. If we pick top 8, I like the 8 fwds I have listed at the top. I don't take a dman with any of those 8 sitting there.
I know, he’s my guy though.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Gonna start watching some of the guys everyones been posting since the flyers make me sad. Seems like everyone’s 3-12ish ranking on the main boards is a lot different from one another.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I currently have 303 potential draftees ranked for the upcoming draft, but it's a lot of work to post the whole list and it's really fluid at this time of the years so I'm not going to put that effort in. Here's a short list of some guys on my radar that I really like and their current position in my rankings (if you want my thoughts on other players, just ask):

2. Kaapo Kaako - I still have Hughes at #1 because I think there is no way you pass on a dynamic centre, and a lot of the recent "is Hughes still #1" is the typical media bias of wanting first OA to be a race. Kaako is a hell of a winger though, brings a lot to the table, and wouldn't surprise me if he outproduces Hughes at the NHL level.

3. Bowen Byram - he's a complete, steady defender. He's slipping on lists because he's quiet and steady, which leads to people undervaluing him. I think he'll be NHL ready for the 19-20 or 20-21 season, which is fast for a defenceman.

6. Dylan Cozens - he is the prototypical power forward. The game is shifting to skill and speed, which means power forwards like Cozens can be outdated. The kid can skate though, and shows no fear.

27. Lassi Thomson - Nolan Foote and Kaedan Korczak got all the early hype in Kelowna, but I think Thomson is the best of the three. He's dynamic, smooth, and has good hockey IQ. He should play for Finland at the WJC this year.

33. Albin Grewe - Grewe is my favourite player in this draft. He's mean, he's fast, he wants to do everything and be a game changer. He's a player that is easy to cheer for and I actually hope the Flames take him in the first round so I can watch him more frequently. The big downside and why he's currently in my second round is that he can overhandle the puck and make overcomplicated plays. But man is he a fun player to watch.

67. Martin Hugo Has - dude has an awesome name. I know nothing else about him, but I am always down for drafting awesome names.

81. Dustin Wolf - he saw limited playing time last year behind some guy named Carter Hart, but in 20 games as a 17 year old put up a 2.25 GAA and .928 SP. This year he's the number one and put up a 1.84/.928 so far. Spencer Knight is the assumed top goalie in this year's draft but keep an eye on Wolf.

87. Billy Constantinou - I haven't seen anything of him yet, but he's been rocketing up the rankings and I've read that he's a quick dynamic puck moving defenceman. Again, keep an eye on him.

109. Marcus Kallionkieli - Again, haven't seen anything but he's climbing. I'm always skeptical of guys playing in the USHL but he could be a later gem.

140. Taylor Gauthier - Prince George is terrible this year, and Gauthier is seeing a lot of rubber (averaging 31 shots against per game). His stats aren't stellar, with a 3.31/.895 but considering the team in front of him he's looked good. Anyone skeptical of the good goalie/bad team phenomenon in junior hockey should look at Ian Scott - he posted seasons of 3.69/.895 and 3.10/.897 on terrible Prince Albert teams leading into this year's 1.61/.943 on a dominant squad. Watch for Gauthier to do something similar.

163. Jackson van de Leest - gotta include a homer pick in any list. van de Leest isn't putting up great numbers (Zamula and Yeryomenko are doing most of the work in Calgary) but as the saying goes, you can't teach size. van de Leest has some terrific reach at 6'6" and is a solid skater. I think his development has been hampered by usage, and he should get an opportunity to step up with Yeryomenko off at the second tier WJC right now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not a van de Leest fan. Might be the number but he reminds me of Kanzig. He’s big and heavy footed. Hunches over when he skates.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I currently have 303 potential draftees ranked for the upcoming draft, but it's a lot of work to post the whole list and it's really fluid at this time of the years so I'm not going to put that effort in. Here's a short list of some guys on my radar that I really like and their current position in my rankings (if you want my thoughts on other players, just ask):

2. Kaapo Kaako - I still have Hughes at #1 because I think there is no way you pass on a dynamic centre, and a lot of the recent "is Hughes still #1" is the typical media bias of wanting first OA to be a race. Kaako is a hell of a winger though, brings a lot to the table, and wouldn't surprise me if he outproduces Hughes at the NHL level.

3. Bowen Byram - he's a complete, steady defender. He's slipping on lists because he's quiet and steady, which leads to people undervaluing him. I think he'll be NHL ready for the 19-20 or 20-21 season, which is fast for a defenceman.

6. Dylan Cozens - he is the prototypical power forward. The game is shifting to skill and speed, which means power forwards like Cozens can be outdated. The kid can skate though, and shows no fear.

27. Lassi Thomson - Nolan Foote and Kaedan Korczak got all the early hype in Kelowna, but I think Thomson is the best of the three. He's dynamic, smooth, and has good hockey IQ. He should play for Finland at the WJC this year.

33. Albin Grewe - Grewe is my favourite player in this draft. He's mean, he's fast, he wants to do everything and be a game changer. He's a player that is easy to cheer for and I actually hope the Flames take him in the first round so I can watch him more frequently. The big downside and why he's currently in my second round is that he can overhandle the puck and make overcomplicated plays. But man is he a fun player to watch.

67. Martin Hugo Has - dude has an awesome name. I know nothing else about him, but I am always down for drafting awesome names.

81. Dustin Wolf - he saw limited playing time last year behind some guy named Carter Hart, but in 20 games as a 17 year old put up a 2.25 GAA and .928 SP. This year he's the number one and put up a 1.84/.928 so far. Spencer Knight is the assumed top goalie in this year's draft but keep an eye on Wolf.

87. Billy Constantinou - I haven't seen anything of him yet, but he's been rocketing up the rankings and I've read that he's a quick dynamic puck moving defenceman. Again, keep an eye on him.

109. Marcus Kallionkieli - Again, haven't seen anything but he's climbing. I'm always skeptical of guys playing in the USHL but he could be a later gem.

140. Taylor Gauthier - Prince George is terrible this year, and Gauthier is seeing a lot of rubber (averaging 31 shots against per game). His stats aren't stellar, with a 3.31/.895 but considering the team in front of him he's looked good. Anyone skeptical of the good goalie/bad team phenomenon in junior hockey should look at Ian Scott - he posted seasons of 3.69/.895 and 3.10/.897 on terrible Prince Albert teams leading into this year's 1.61/.943 on a dominant squad. Watch for Gauthier to do something similar.

163. Jackson van de Leest - gotta include a homer pick in any list. van de Leest isn't putting up great numbers (Zamula and Yeryomenko are doing most of the work in Calgary) but as the saying goes, you can't teach size. van de Leest has some terrific reach at 6'6" and is a solid skater. I think his development has been hampered by usage, and he should get an opportunity to step up with Yeryomenko off at the second tier WJC right now.

Excellent work sir. I cant argue with anything here and totally agree on Wolf, Thomson, and Cozens!

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

First time I’ve seen Byram that high on a list.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
First time I’ve seen Byram that high on a list.

Point of clarification on my rankings - I always have players in a group to give a range of approximately equivalent prospects. Byram is currently my #3 but I have him in a range of 3-11 with Dach, Podkolzin, Cozens, Newhook, Suzuki, Turcotte, Zegras, and Krebs. So I don't necessarily see him as the third best guy in the draft right now, but since he's the only defenceman I have in that tier he gets bumped up a bit due to positional value.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Point of clarification on my rankings - I always have players in a group to give a range of approximately equivalent prospects. Byram is currently my #3 but I have him in a range of 3-11 with Dach, Podkolzin, Cozens, Newhook, Suzuki, Turcotte, Zegras, and Krebs. So I don't necessarily see him as the third best guy in the draft right now, but since he's the only defenceman I have in that tier he gets bumped up a bit due to positional value.
Who do you think is the third best guy then?

I like the Grewe ranking btw. One of the guys I circled last year.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Who do you think is the third best guy then?

I like the Grewe ranking btw. One of the guys I circled last year.

I like Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, and Zegras. Krebs looks like the bottom of that tier, I don't trust Newhook due to second-tier competition, and don't really have a strong read on Suzuki or Podkolzin. Leaning Cozens for #3 because it's so hard to read those NDTP guys with Jack Hughes on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad