Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Arthur Kaliyev seems like an interesting one to me. WAY up there in scoring compared to other under 18 year olds in the OHL. He has the 4th most points out of all undrafted OHL players as well. I'm guessing that his problem might be that his overall game might not be that great?

Caufield is a goal scoring machine though. If he could be our very own Gaudreau, then yes f***ing please.

Newhook is a good choice as well. Same with Lavoie.

Reactions: hystyk1921

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Last year someone (I think it might've been @Tripod) posted a fun draft simulator website where you could choose a team and run through the draft with them. I was addicted to it in prep for our own mock draft.

Anyone know if that site's still around (and what it's called) or if it will be available again for this year's draft?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last year someone (I think it might've been @Tripod) posted a fun draft simulator website where you could choose a team and run through the draft with them. I was addicted to it in prep for our own mock draft.

Anyone know if that site's still around (and what it's called) or if it will be available again for this year's draft?
Yeah it was me. And I have no idea what it was called...lol. If anyone remembers, please post!

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope so. If we can't land one of the big fishes on the FA market, package the pick for an impact player.
The draft is 10 days before FA so that won't happen in that order.

I'm open to doing anything this year, they just have to be the right moves that make us better.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Arthur Kaliyev seems like an interesting one to me. WAY up there in scoring compared to other under 18 year olds in the OHL. He has the 4th most points out of all undrafted OHL players as well. I'm guessing that his problem might be that his overall game might not be that great?

Caufield is a goal scoring machine though. If he could be our very own Gaudreau, then yes ****ing please.

Newhook is a good choice as well. Same with Lavoie.

Skeptical Caufield goes quite this high -- size bias will never die, and he has been Jack Hughes' consistent linemate, which might be a knock. He's definitely not a Gaudreau though as a primary puckhandler and playmaker. I'd think more of a DeBrincat. But while Caufield's hands are sick, DeBrincat was/is likely better with the puck in non-shooting situations or creating his own offense. Caufield may have something to prove in that regard in college, even if his shooting and feel for soft areas is elite. He's very good, so don't misread.

Really not a fan of any of the others. Mostly IQ/effort related.

No one talks enough about Cam York for some reason on that NTDP team. He's right around our range as a d-man, even if he's a lefty. He's got a lot of skill and smarts. Top notch hands and skating, some real offensive potential without any noticeable holes. We always talk about the need for a high-end defenseman, if BPA, given expansion and whatnot, and to me guys like York and Soderstrom are conveniently just that. Soderstrom might be a little better defensively and more mature and righty, but York might have the higher ceiling.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

Yeah it was me. And I have no idea what it was called...lol. If anyone remembers, please post!

It was called "draftwired" iirc. I can't get it to work for some reason after a quick Google search.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Skeptical Caufield goes quite this high -- size bias will never die, and he has been Jack Hughes' consistent linemate, which might be a knock. He's definitely not a Gaudreau though as a primary puckhandler and playmaker. I'd think more of a DeBrincat. But while Caufield's hands are sick, DeBrincat was/is likely better with the puck in non-shooting situations or creating his own offense. Caufield may have something to prove in that regard in college, even if his shooting and feel for soft areas is elite. He's very good, so don't misread.

No one talks enough about Cam York for some reason on that NTDP team. He's right around our range as a d-man, even if he's a lefty. He's got a lot of skill and smarts. Top notch hands and skating, some real offensive potential without any noticeable holes. We always talk about the need for a high-end defenseman, if BPA, given expansion and whatnot, and to me guys like York and Soderstrom are conveniently just that. Soderstrom might be a little better defensively and more mature and righty, but York might have the higher ceiling.

Hook the Magua draft talk to my veins.

Reactions: baudib1

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

If these 8 are gone in the drats, who would you rank as the next 7 guys? Anyone else is fair to chime in too.

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Byram, Cozens, Boldy

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If these 8 are gone in the drats, who would you rank as the next 7 guys? Anyone else is fair to chime in too.

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Byram, Cozens, Boldy

Does it matter? We are just trading the pick anyway. :sarcasm:

I don’t have a list. I’m just saying: if one of Soderstrom, York, Brink is there (which will likely be the case), maybe a dark horse in the mix, that’s pretty damn appealing.

Reactions: Stizzle and Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does it matter? We are just trading the pick anyway. :sarcasm:

I don’t have a list. I’m just saying: if one of Soderstrom, York, Brink is there (which will likely be the case), maybe a dark horse in the mix, that’s pretty damn appealing.

Hopefully.

;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
@Magua how about Dominick Fensore as guy as the draft moves on past the first round? He’s really small but he’s been on fire here in the second half of the season with US Program.

He’s one of the younger players in the draft just making the cut as a September 7th, 2001 birthdate. His older brother was listed at 6’0’ 229 lbs. So perhaps there’s more physical growth there.

Dominick Fensore at eliteprospects.com

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@Magua how about Dominick Fensore as guy as the draft moves on past the first round? He’s really small but he’s been on fire here in the second half of the season with US Program.

He’s one of the younger players in the draft just making the cut as a September 7th, 2001 birthdate. His older brother was listed at 6’0’ 229 lbs. So perhaps there’s more physical growth there.

Dominick Fensore at eliteprospects.com

I haven’t watched in a while. No one will draft a defenseman that size early. But I remember he can absolutely FLY and is pretty skilled. Could be a gamble. I’ll get back on it soon.

I never really knew what to make of some of the NTDP defensemen after York. Not a Vlasic guy: really awkward and pace of play with puck wasn’t too quick. I was a Warren fan though; possible 2nd/3rd rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad