Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one talks enough about Cam York for some reason on that NTDP team. He's right around our range as a d-man, even if he's a lefty. He's got a lot of skill and smarts. Top notch hands and skating, some real offensive potential without any noticeable holes. We always talk about the need for a high-end defenseman, if BPA, given expansion and whatnot, and to me guys like York and Soderstrom are conveniently just that. Soderstrom might be a little better defensively and more mature and righty, but York might have the higher ceiling.

How would he rank up against Kalynuk, Zamula and Hogberg?
We have three pretty decent mobile LH defensemen who are probably no more than 2 years away.
What we need are more RHD, unless you think Wylie and St Ivany have NHL starter potential?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
We have three pretty decent mobile LH defensemen who are probably no more than 2 years away.
What we need are more RHD, unless you think Wylie and St Ivany have NHL starter potential?

We traded this year's first for Trouba.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I’m going to guess York can play the right side. NTDP cross trains their defensemen, and he has the hands and skating and passing to make plays from there.

He’s better. They’re better. It’s not close. And I value those players highly as depth pieces. It’s like comparing Farabee and Frost to Laczynski and Vorobyev. These are impact players with high floors and ceilings to add to the system.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Last year someone (I think it might've been @Tripod) posted a fun draft simulator website where you could choose a team and run through the draft with them. I was addicted to it in prep for our own mock draft.

Anyone know if that site's still around (and what it's called) or if it will be available again for this year's draft?

Yeah it was me. And I have no idea what it was called...lol. If anyone remembers, please post!

Was it this one?

Fanspeak's On the Clock NHL Mock Draft Simulator

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I haven’t watched in a while. No one will draft a defenseman that size early. But I remember he can absolutely FLY and is pretty skilled. Could be a gamble. I’ll get back on it soon.

I never really knew what to make of some of the NTDP defensemen after York. Not a Vlasic guy: really awkward and pace of play with puck wasn’t too quick. I was a Warren fan though; possible 2nd/3rd rounder?

I like Warren as well, but admittedly it’s based on a limited sample size.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If these 8 are gone in the drats, who would you rank as the next 7 guys? Anyone else is fair to chime in too.

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Byram, Cozens, Boldy
Dach and Krebs round out the top ten. After that, there are about ten guys that can go in any order. So just listing the next tier you have at least three D men, York, Soderstrom and Broberg, snipers Caulfield and Kaliyev,Suzuki, speedster Newhook, talented little guys, Pelletier, Brink, and N Robertson, and McMichael. Hoglander warrents consideratiin, and Knight if you want a goalie. M Robertson may be the next D after those.
Edit: I forgot Harley, another D in that mix. And Lavoie at forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dach and Krebs round out the top ten. After that, there are about ten guys that can go in any order. So just listing the next tier you have at least three D men, York, Soderstrom and Broberg, snipers Caulfield and Kaliyev,Suzuki, speedster Newhook, talented little guys, Pelletier, Brink, and N Robertson, and McMichael. Hoglander warrents consideratiin, and Knight if you want a goalie. M Robertson may be the next D after those.
Edit: I forgot Harley, another D in that mix. And Lavoie at forward.
Yeah Dach and Krebs is who I always see in the top 10 to finish it off....until I saw TSN's list yesterday. Ideally, one of those 10 fall to us at #14 but won't expect it.

Just trying to narrow down that next 5 who are most likely for us to be choosing from.

Reactions: IronMarshal

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
holy wow, I really like Cam York. His skating and stick handling is top shelf. His hockey sense seems to be high level as well.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah Dach and Krebs is who I always see in the top 10 to finish it off....until I saw TSN's list yesterday. Ideally, one of those 10 fall to us at #14 but won't expect it.

Just trying to narrow down that next 5 who are most likely for us to be choosing from.

The thing is......I don't particularly care for Dach or Krebs. I don't want them to drop, and if they do, I would prefer the others I mentioned above (and a few others perhaps). If you want me to turncoat to Team Trade Pick, that's probably how I'd do it.

Krebs has become a darling of prospect twitter, and his contributions are great on a truly awful team. I'm just skeptical he should be graded on the curve he is. I simply don't care for his skill-set; didn't going into the season (summer) either. I think his skill, IQ, and future scoring projections get overrated. He's a nice player, but I can't latch onto anything "elite" about him.

As for Dach, I can't get over the skating. He takes baby steps, has no quickness, agility, or top end speed. What he has is a giant reach, good balance, solid IQ, and puck skills/playmaking. He's one of those players that I think will have a long development period, then turn into a respectable -- not great -- NHL contributor. Let them go overrated, I say. I don't see their high end skill-sets.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The thing is......I don't particularly care for Dach or Krebs. I don't want them to drop, and if they do, I would prefer the others I mentioned above (and a few others perhaps). If you want me to turncoat to Team Trade Pick, that's probably how I'd do it.

Krebs has become a darling of prospect twitter, and his contributions are great on a truly awful team. I'm just skeptical he should be graded on the curve he is. I simply don't care for his skill-set; didn't going into the season (summer) either. I think his skill, IQ, and future scoring projections get overrated. He's a nice player, but I can't latch onto anything "elite" about him.

As for Dach, I can't get over the skating. He takes baby steps, has no quickness, agility, or top end speed. What he has is a giant reach, good balance, solid IQ, and puck skills/playmaking. He's one of those players that I think will have a long development period, then turn into a respectable -- not great -- NHL contributor. Let them go overrated, I say. I don't see their high end skill-sets.
Always appreciate your insight as I know you watch these guys. I have not watched a bit of tape on any of these guys especially since I a not doing our mock draft...lol.

So I will rely on you and a few others opinions I trust. Hopefully you do find some time to give insight near draft day.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong. My exposure to him is limited, but Krebs strikes me as the prototypical Canadian darling, swiss army knife. A player loved by the safe pick brigade.

I recall Button comparing him to Mike Richards (how many times have we heard that before?) during the Hlinka broadcasts. Interesting, since Button doesn't seem very high on him at the moment.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Correct me if I'm wrong. My exposure to him is limited, but Krebs strikes me as the prototypical Canadian darling, swiss army knife. A player loved by the safe pick brigade.

I recall Button comparing him to Mike Richards (how many times have we heard that before?) during the Hlinka broadcasts. Interesting, since Button doesn't seem very high on him at the moment.

That's exactly how I see it. If you want to say playing on Kootenay hurts him, I won't disagree. I just don't think it makes up for what I perceive is a lack of intrinsic high end qualities.

His skating is kind of in that average territory for his size, without separation speed or deception; he has decent scoring chops and hands but maybe more middle 6 variety. Hockey IQ is so hard to gauge, but I usually can tell when it's high end (like Farabee or Frost), and I don't get those vibes. I mentioned my concerns in the fall with having him top 5-10 (I think I had him ~20), and the name "Jaden Schwartz" was thrown out by someone, essentially saying he's a whole is greater than the sum of his parts type. Maybe. But the times I've watched Krebs I see more hype than reality to his profile. I'm not even convinced he's better than Pelletier, who I wouldn't take at our pick either.

Reactions: Stizzle

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
If these 8 are gone in the drats, who would you rank as the next 7 guys? Anyone else is fair to chime in too.

Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Byram, Cozens, Boldy
Caufield, Caufield, Caufield, Caufield, Caufield, Caufield, and Caufield.

Reactions: IronMarshal

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
What are your guys’ thoughts on Broberg? Is he more Ryan Merkley or Quinn Hughes? His skating looks insanely impressive. Hockey sense looks hit or miss at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad