Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's people advocating trading our first round pick every year... Imagine where this team would be without the guys we drafted, both on the roster and right outside of it.

What if we traded the Giroux pick or the Couturier pick or the Ghost pick or the Sanheim pick or the Hart pick or any other player who has been, or will be, a key part of this team? It's super rare you get top tier players without drafting them so I'd rather take the gamble and aim for them than just say "oh, well the odds aren't great so lets settle for someone to play in our middle 6".

This pick is going to be in the top half of the first round... Keep the pick, make the pick, develop the pick. Plus, not all our prospects will pan out and we might need assets to either replace or protect players due to the expansion draft.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Konecny's most common linemate is Claude Giroux.

Yes, but there's a big difference in Claude Giroux, the winger, and Claude Giroux, the center.

Konecny spent ~15 games playing with Giroux, the center, who got absolutely murdered this season in fancy stats.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Sorry, there's so much to debate in your big post and I don't have the patience to do so right now. But the quoted part is factual incorrect.
????

2010 Connolly (WAS)
2011 Namestikov (NYR)
2012 Koekkek (CHI)
2013 Drouin (MON)
2014 Deangelo (NYR)
2015 traded down for picks
2016 Howden (NYR)
2017 Foote
2018 traded

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Instead of getting into a long-winded pointless debate, ill just agree to disagree and reiterate that I would love to add Kasperi Kapanen to 19-20 Flyers, even at the expense of our mid 1st round pick.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tampa being terrible with 1sts and terrible at drafting defensemen -- and finding 100 point players in the late 2nd/early 3rd; and 50+ point players in the 7th+undrafted territory -- is about as replicable as Detroit's European HoF drafting in the 80s-90s.

Their 1st round skaters, minus Stamkos/Hedman at 1/2, have been awful to average. They just sell high. You could argue that they could actually be BETTER if they got more value up high. Imagine adding Brannstrom....Jones.....Kapanen.....Forsberg....Aho. All of whom went within a pick or two over the last half decade. Which is crazy. Certainly some hindsight bias, but not entirely. Their draft record is pretty sloppy. I still don't know what this has to do with keeping our 1st to select Brink/Soderstrom or someone, or trading it for a better player than the suggested.

Hey, remember Namestnikov was also pumped and dumped by playing with Stamkos and Kucherov and getting 44 points in 62 games. I'm sure some people would've loved to trade a mid-1st for him. Double hey: remember when Tampa traded a 1st+Gudas for Coburn? Great trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not really buying there isn’t some intriguing names around where our pick likely will be anyway. York, Brink, Seider, Soderstrom, etc. could potentially be in that range.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think you have to acknowledge that our draft picks have less value going forward than they did in the past. Fletcher's done OK not amazing in that area in the draft.

It's clear we're not going to get full value from some of the great picks we've made in the past. For instance, Vorobyev may be a fine player but it doesn't look like he's going to get his shot here. Hey, great pick/value, good job on the scouting, but if he doesn't play and he doesn't have any trade value it didn't do much.

There were a lot of people last year who wanted to trade the O'Brien pick. Even if he pans out, which is certainly questionable, it's going to take 3-4 years and maybe more. Every year we ended up missing/barely making playoffs with a roster that has 5-6 obvious holes. One of these years we should probably try to address them.

All of the recent Cup winners have traded first-round picks along the way. Tampa built its team by drafting well + trading a lot of their first-round picks after a couple years of development (the Lightning don't have a first-round pick after 2009 on their roster).

I wanted to move that JOB pick for Hoffman or Skinner.

Boy wouldnt that have been nice?

Reactions: baudib1

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Maybe true. BUT I will not count out Morin just yet.

From the 2013 Draft the Flyers acquired via draft or trades are the following:

11. Morin
30. Hartman
41. Hagg
52. Bailey
72. Goulbourne

From that same draft below is some of what we missed:

66. Pesce
75. Buchnevich
77. Guentzel
89. Bjorstrand
90. Cehlarik
120. Fitzgerald
123. Butcher

After 72 we took Amorosa and Drake. HOF for sure......But after 123, there were a few names I noticed, but nothing like "boy I wish had that player"

Take this for what it is worth.
Monahan is first line center. Nurse and Risto are both good top four D. Morin hasnt even carved out a role as a 3rd pairing/PK guy.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wanted to move that JOB pick for Hoffman or Skinner.

Boy wouldnt that have been nice?

Those guys went for less than that I think, definitely Hoffman. I guess Skinner's package is close.

I'm advocating a first + stuff for Spurgeon/Zucker this offseason.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We don’t need a top 6 winger or top 4 defensemen.

We already have all those spots filled and prospects on the way to fill in the depth behind them. We also have more players who can play in those spots than there are spots to fill.

We need to continue making draft picks so we have more top end prospects on the way who can potentially fill in if someone busts, get injured, is used in a trade, is lost in the expansion draft, or becomes too expensive.

That’s how you build and sustain a contender. Trade later picks? Sure, maybe, but not our first...

Reactions: raydavies29

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We don’t need a top 6 winger or top 4 defensemen.

We already have all those spots filled and prospects on the way to fill in the depth behind them. We also have more players who can play in those spots than there are spots to fill.

We need to continue making draft picks so we have more top end prospects on the way who can potentially fill in if someone busts, get injured, is used in a trade, is lost in the expansion draft, or becomes too expensive.

That’s how you build and sustain a contender. Trade later picks? Sure, maybe, but not our first...
I know you love to blame the coach but we have the deepest prospect pool in the nhl. Allison, Farabee, Frost are all legit top 6 threats. We don’t need another prospect. We need to supplement that young cheap talent with cost controlled talent that is established. You do that by trading that pick. The Flyers can be in the sweet spot with the talent they possess and the talent coming through the pipelines. You add a few more dynamic pieces this team isn’t sitting anywhere close to where they are right now.

Disagree to use the pick on a player who will help 2-3 years down the road. Add to this group with established talent.

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Which I am perfectly fine investing hard into these players.

I mean if you get one of them, that just alone changes the complexion of the team. I said it another thread but that alone takes you out of the bubble conversation that we’ve been in. The rest is just filling in gaps on a smaller scale.

I get there’s been reports of a wish list from Fletcher but the chances of him realistically & legitimately filling all of those wishes are very slim.

Reactions: VladDrag

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know you love to blame the coach but we have the deepest prospect pool in the nhl. Allison, Farabee, Frost are all legit top 6 threats. We don’t need another prospect. We need to supplement that young cheap talent with cost controlled talent that is established. You do that by trading that pick. The Flyers can be in the sweet spot with the talent they possess and the talent coming through the pipelines. You add a few more dynamic pieces this team isn’t sitting anywhere close to where they are right now.

Disagree to use the pick on a player who will help 2-3 years down the road. Add to this group with established talent.
We already have lots of established talent around the young talent.

And yeah, we have a bunch of prospects and they need room to come up and prove themselves. So trading valuable assets to block them doesn’t help our logjam problem and it doesn’t even necessarily make the team better. Giving guys like Allison, Frost, Farabee, etc a chance and drafting a player for down the road (who could end up being a star) makes a whole ton of sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad