Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
After seeing Blech Blah's (Brent Flahr - copyright @Captain Dave Poulin) last 1st round pick in Minnesota (Filip Johansson - worst pick of the draft), I am absolutely terrified of what will happen to our drafting now that Pryor is gone.

That pick was stupefyingly awful the moment it was announced. It was like they yelled, "WE ARE INCOMPETENT HUZZAH!" with a megaphone. I hope the scouts whip those dumbasses into line.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought Flahr was pretty much rendered powerless for Minnesota’s last draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That pick was stupefyingly awful the moment it was announced. It was like they yelled, "WE ARE INCOMPETENT HUZZAH!" with a megaphone. I hope the scouts whip those dumbasses into line. Good lord Minnesota sucked at drafting.

It looked terrible then, and it looks even worse now.

He has 1 point (an assist) and is -16 in 36 games in Allsvenskan :laugh:

Filip Johansson at eliteprospects.com

Blech Blah stood behind this pick afterwards.

Even Johansson was shocked when he heard his name called.
“I can’t describe it in words,” Johansson said. “Just hearing my name was crazy. … To be (taken) in the first round, I didn’t expect.”
Although it’ll likely be a few years before Johansson even sniffs the NHL, the 18-year-old will forever be tied to new general manager Paul Fenton as the first player drafted in his tenure in the Twin Cities.
We take the best player (available),” Fenton said, crediting Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Brent Flahr and the rest of the front office for doing most of the grunt work. “From my standpoint, these guys prepared really well for it. I love taking smart defensemen. … I was very happy with the selection.”
Flahr said the Wild had a laser focus on the 6-foot-1, 176-pound Johansson since the start of last season.
“We liked him a lot,” Flahr said. “Obviously our European guys spent a lot of time watching him. He’s a very smart defender. He moves and retrieves pucks exceptionally well. He’s a very good skater. As he fills out and gets stronger, we just think his game is going to grow and grow.
“We talked about different options of potentially moving back,” Flahr added. “We also had a couple teams behind us that we knew were on him as well. We just made the pick at the end of the day.”

Wild draft young Swedish defenseman Filip Johansson with No. 24 overall pick

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Spencer Knight in the top 10? Really? Is this draft total crap or is he that elite? :dunno:

Moritz Seider is one intriguing SOB. I haven't seen a single second of his footage, but he must really be something.

Hunter Jones? Another 1st round goalie? My goodness.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That thread was fun
I like #1553:

Yes, they have their annual 3rd/4th round floor player, but this is the first draft they did it at pretty much every pick. St. Ivany is the most interesting talent (besides the goalie and the 7th, which is fine to take a big, safe player with any real NHL qualities), but his skating stride needs a ton of work. I think Wylie is okay in a vacuum, but they passed over better players to me. Ginning was the killer pick to me. Hain was a 6th, but I'm not a huge fan. They were always over-performing making great pick after great pick every draft every round, and it was bound to regress, but this is a draft where it just looks like they were content to regress on draft day or, at best, content to get organizational depth knowing better players would be taken after.

Hmm.
Ginning has been awful, playing in the SHL at 18, and the WJC.
St Ivany at #112 was a throw away pick, kid is stinking up the joint in the Ivy League
Wylie at #127 was another throwaway, 47g 7-27 34 +26, what were they thinking?
Ersson #143, some unknown Swedish goalie 'cause Hextall had to have one every draft, .937 in 22 Allsvenskan games and .922 in WJC play is obviously a fluke
Hain #174, obviously not dedicated, probably got mono by too much hanky panky
Westfalt #205, might actually be a throwaway, wasn't ready for primetime and isn't show much in Allsvenskan so far
To add insult to injury, they actually gave a contract to some rail thin Russian reject, 44g 9-30 39 +8

That's the problem with the Internet Magua, it never goes away. :P

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I like #1553:

Yes, they have their annual 3rd/4th round floor player, but this is the first draft they did it at pretty much every pick. St. Ivany is the most interesting talent (besides the goalie and the 7th, which is fine to take a big, safe player with any real NHL qualities), but his skating stride needs a ton of work. I think Wylie is okay in a vacuum, but they passed over better players to me. Ginning was the killer pick to me. Hain was a 6th, but I'm not a huge fan. They were always over-performing making great pick after great pick every draft every round, and it was bound to regress, but this is a draft where it just looks like they were content to regress on draft day or, at best, content to get organizational depth knowing better players would be taken after.

Hmm.
Ginning has been awful, playing in the SHL at 18, and the WJC.
St Ivany at #112 was a throw away pick, kid is stinking up the joint in the Ivy League
Wylie at #127 was another throwaway, 47g 7-27 34 +26, what were they thinking?
Ersson #143, some unknown Swedish goalie 'cause Hextall had to have one every draft, .937 in 22 Allsvenskan games and .922 in WJC play is obviously a fluke
Hain #174, obviously not dedicated, probably got mono by too much hanky panky
Westfalt #205, might actually be a throwaway, wasn't ready for primetime and isn't show much in Allsvenskan so far
To add insult to injury, they actually gave a contract to some rail thin Russian reject, 44g 9-30 39 +8

That's the problem with the Internet Magua, it never goes away. :P

Oh man you got me! I said Ginning and Hain stink, and St. Ivany is the most interesting one. Wylie is okay, but I preferred others.

Let me clean this egg off my face to statements I still fully agree with.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can’t watch this live. I didn’t even watch it last year. It’s kind of hard to follow and a little gimicky for actual analysis. But I get the appeal for first samples and all. This CHL crop won’t make it a must though.

Besides, once Nico won Player of the Game and we didn’t draft him, this game became even more meaningless. At least I knew who we’d draft before that.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
After seeing Blech Blah's (Brent Flahr - copyright @Captain Dave Poulin) last 1st round pick in Minnesota (Filip Johansson - worst pick of the draft), I am absolutely terrified of what will happen to our drafting now that Pryor is gone.

I don't know how or where CDP came up with Blech Blah, but it's an awesome nickname!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well if they really do want Hughes badly then we hopefully at least don’t have to worry about the first pick. And if we do get Hughes we won’t need to draft well for a long time. I feel like Hughes and any more good drafting is a plus at this point.

Maybe we get Hughes. Fletch sucks at drafting for a few years but no one cares bc we are winning. Then people outside this site care. Then he gives up and trusts the scouts just in time to restock!

I know everyone wants Hart to play up and keep playing well but...

Couts
Patrick
Hughes
Frost

Seems too good. And pennies on the dollar for now.

Reactions: tucson83

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lose for Hughes is an exercise in futility.
I'll take any prospect in the top 10 that our scouts sign off, and I like our scouts much better than those in Minnesota.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Lose for Hughes is an exercise in futility.
I'll take any prospect in the top 10 that our scouts sign off, and I like our scouts much better than those in Minnesota.
No, the powerball is. Someone has to get Hughes. I’d rather have an 18.5% shot than something lesser. Not like we are Van or Toronto that really depends on hitting a high pick. The only risk is missing out and that’s not really a risk. Go for Hughes but fine with a top 7 or so pick.

Reactions: FlyTimmo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad