Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I've watched a lot of fair bit of US NTDP this week, trying to watch some Hughes, Turcotte, Boldy, Caufield and Zegras. A guy who has been intriguing to me as a mid round pick is Marshall Warren.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
A guy who has been intriguing to me as a mid round pick is Marshall Warren.

I haven't had a chance to start yet, but Warren is specifically on my list due to checking off some microtracking boxes I've been able to see through Mitch Brown's project. Case McCarthy is another, so I'm hoping to get to both of those at the same time.

Reactions: VladDrag

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The last thing we should do, is trade back for more picks/depth. We have depth out the ass coming with no spots for nearly half of them.

Quality over quantity now.

draft the BPA with our pick, then use the Simmonds return+ to try and fill a hole on the roster.

Definitely agree. My mentioning of Robertson was in a "we acquire a later 1st" scenario.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we're not drafting someone who can play within 2 years, trading back for a haul is simply adding players BEHIND the players in the pipeline, players who don't need ELCs (avoiding the contract limit) and who'll show up in 4-5 years when the current prospects are on the Flyers, buried in the AHL or traded/cut.

I'd think about trading forward into future drafts the next couple years (with picks and prospects) for the same reason - if there's no room at the inn, book some rooms down the road.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't agree with the no spots thing. Some of the prospects will always get injured or bust, and the Phantoms don't have any veteran forwards signed for next season yet. Just by putting NAK and Vorobyev on the Flyers you have a spot for every possible forward prospect on the Phantoms.

Farabee*-Frost-Allison*
Ratcliffe-Rubtsov-Laczynski*
Kase-Bunnaman-Bailey
Strome-Twarysnki-Sushko
Laberge

And there are multiple spots available on the big club for UFAs or call ups. If Frost is going straight to the NHL, then you re-sign Varone to be the Phantoms 1C.

JVR-Giroux-Konency
UFA-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-UFA
Laughton-Vorobyev-Aube-Kubel
UFA

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't agree with the no spots thing. Some of the prospects will always get injured or bust, and the Phantoms don't have any veteran forwards signed for next season yet. Just by putting NAK and Vorobyev on the Flyers you have a spot for every possible forward prospect on the Phantoms.

Farabee*-Frost-Allison*
Ratcliffe-Rubtsov-Laczynski*
Kase-Bunnaman-Bailey
Strome-Twarysnki-Sushko
Laberge

And there are multiple spots available on the big club for UFAs or call ups. If Frost is going straight to the NHL, then you re-sign Varone to be the Phantoms 1C.

JVR-Giroux-Konency
UFA-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-UFA
Laughton-Vorobyev-Aube-Kubel
UFA
That LV lineup looks like some fun to watch! I do expect Frost on the team and having a "vet" like Varone would be good for the kids and if we need to recall someone due to injury(to sit...lol)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If we don't pick top 2, we should trade that pick to help the team immediately, if possible. Don't really care about adding another middle 6 prospect considering how many we have.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've watched a lot of fair bit of US NTDP this week, trying to watch some Hughes, Turcotte, Boldy, Caufield and Zegras. A guy who has been intriguing to me as a mid round pick is Marshall Warren.

Me too. He skates very well, has good handle, good transition ability with his legs or passing, and seems pretty intelligent. He really fits the bill of a 2nd or 3rd round undersized puck mover with potential.

In general, I've been having trouble watching NTDP games of late. My thoughts on a lot of the depth players are mixed, though Warren has long stood out. Vlasic does nothing for me, despite some late 1st hype. Way too gangly and slow paced in his play. Beecher has really intriguing skating and size and hands, though he's misused when at center IMO. He's certainly not a high IQ or high intensity player either, which is why he's still wait and see for me. But he has skill despite his usage. Guys like Thrun and Helleson I really need to get better reads on.

You didn't mention York either, though he might not be in our range (picking too high to take him; not high enough if we get another).

If we don't pick top 2, we should trade that pick to help the team immediately, if possible. Don't really care about adding another middle 6 prospect considering how many we have.

Holy overreaction, Batman. Not picking top 2 =/= middle 6 prospect. Surely you know that. Just because there's no consensus marquee player doesn't mean there aren't multiple top 6/star caliber players ready to be had on their ELCs. There are still very good players. Top 5 picks, even top 10 ones, don't get traded like candy. It's rare. Look at how often players are undersold to begin with. But sure, if you want to be that team that trades a high pick for the next Derek Stepan......

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's so tricky though. Imagine trading away the pick that was Elias Pettersson. If we pick top 10, I make the pick unless someone really offers me something I can't turn down. But that's where getting that other 1st from Simmonds is key...so we can use that for help now.

Fletch has some work to do, but he also has inherited lots of assets to makes the right moves. This next month will be important to gain assets...to use for next year or in our future.

Also, it's crazy to think we could have our 4th year in 5 years having 2 1st rounders.

Reactions: IronMarshal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think if you're out of the top 5, it depends on the players available.
If they're not sure fired top 6/1st pair potential, you listen to trades, we have enough top prospects to fill out the top 9/top 4 for a few years, even after the ED.

So the choice should be NHL ready players (within a year, not 3-4 years)/trade for more future picks/trade for immediate help (in their prime, not their 30s).
What we don't need is a Sanheim/Morin project type, we have those by the score.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Me too. He skates very well, has good handle, good transition ability with his legs or passing, and seems pretty intelligent. He really fits the bill of a 2nd or 3rd round undersized puck mover with potential.

In general, I've been having trouble watching NTDP games of late. My thoughts on a lot of the depth players are mixed, though Warren has long stood out. Vlasic does nothing for me, despite some late 1st hype. Way too gangly and slow paced in his play. Beecher has really intriguing skating and size and hands, though he's misused when at center IMO. He's certainly not a high IQ or high intensity player either, which is why he's still wait and see for me. But he has skill despite his usage. Guys like Thrun and Helleson I really need to get better reads on.

You didn't mention York either, though he might not be in our range (picking too high to take him; not high enough if we get another).

Holy overreaction, Batman. Not picking top 2 =/= middle 6 prospect. Surely you know that. Just because there's no consensus marquee player doesn't mean there aren't multiple top 6/star caliber players ready to be had on their ELCs. There are still very good players. Top 5 picks, even top 10 ones, don't get traded like candy. It's rare. Look at how often players are undersold to begin with. But sure, if you want to be that team that trades a high pick for the next Derek Stepan......

I'm right you're wrong. Get over it. Look at the results of the Mock Drafts. I'm the real expert around here. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, if we can move our 1st in a deal for a player like Seguin? Bye bye pick. The time to give G a chance at winning a Cup is long overdue. Let's get it goin. I'm not advocating for throwing it away for nothing or a marginal upgrade. That should be assumed.

By the way, Arizona also got their #1 goalie in that Stepan trade. Jussayin. :naughty:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm right you're wrong. Get over it. Look at the results of the Mock Drafts. I'm the real expert around here. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, if we can move our 1st in a deal for a player like Seguin? Bye bye pick. The time to give G a chance at winning a Cup is long overdue. Let's get it goin. I'm not advocating for throwing it away for nothing or a marginal upgrade. That should be assumed.

By the way, Arizona also got their #1 goalie in that Stepan trade. Jussayin. :naughty:

Just wait for this year bub. We're coming for you "Mr. Draft Expert".

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No thanks

So, if we end up picking, lets say 4th overall, you would be opposed moving that pick in a trade for an impact player in their prime that can improve the team immediately?

Is 7 years without a playoff series win (longest in franchise history) not long enough for you? :laugh:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So, if we end up picking, lets say 4th overall, you would be opposed moving that pick in a trade for an impact player in their prime that can improve the team immediately?

Is 7 years without a playoff series win (longest in franchise history) not long enough for you? :laugh:

It's hypothetical that borders on fantasy. Would you trade Couturier/Giroux for that 4th overall that you say is a middle 6 prospect? A lot of people would trade that pick 1-for-1 for Seguin or some comparable talent. No one objects. It all but certainly won't happen. And we don't even know if he's on the market.

The last trades for NHL players for top 10 picks were Stepan and Staal, if I remember correctly. And then you still have to likely add significant pieces. I'm sure a lot of people would rather keep the pick and just go full force on a top free agent in this class.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Depends on what is being offered, but you are seriously underselling the other top prospects in this draft.

A young elite prospect on an ELC that could potential join the club right away is not something to mess with. Take the player and go after the big fish in FA, simple shit.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's hypothetical that borders on fantasy. Would you trade Couturier/Giroux for that 4th overall that you say is for a middle 6 prospect?

The last trades for NHL players for top 10 picks were Stepan and Staal. And then you still have to likely add significant pieces. I'm sure a lot of people would rather keep the pick and just go full force on a top free agent in this class.

I never meant 1 for 1. I meant as part of a package. I also know that it's very rare. I'm just stating what I would prefer we do with that pick, not what I expect to happen.

If we end up picking in the 7-10 range, imagine using that pick to trade for a dman like Trouba and then signing Panarin and hiring Q. MacDonald bought out. Lets get it poppin babe.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Depends on what is being offered, but you are seriously underselling the other top prospects in this draft.

A young elite prospect on an ELC that could potential join the club right away is not something to mess with. Take the player and go after the big fish in FA, simple ****.

By all accounts, there aren't many "elite" level prospects after the first 2. Certainly not any that would join the club "right away." Maybe our definitions of elite differ though. Of course there will always be surprises like Pettersson.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wouldn't a trade top pick for a forward with the ED coming up.

Thank you for bringing up a pretty big asset value component. Adding a forward OR defenseman creates a huge obstacle. And if you do: you better damn well add someone worth removing one of those players for.

Reactions: Stizzle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad