Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I stopped going in the Prospect Threads some time ago but I poked my head in a couple days ago and saw someone say you want Quinn Hughes in the regular season and Cale Makar in the playoffs and I wanted to gauge my eyes out.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
SelfishChillyEyas-size_restricted.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Talent level drops off steeply this year. You’ve got a few guys from the US program, a few from Europe, & a couple from major junior, then off a cliff.

Gotta think Broberg will be top 10 when all is said & done.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Talent level drops off steeply this year. You’ve got a few guys from the US program, a few from Europe, & a couple from major junior, then off a cliff.

Gotta think Broberg will be top 10 when all is said & done.
Where is that drop in your opinion?

I have not looked into any of these guys yet.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Where is that drop in your opinion?

I have not looked into any of these guys yet.
I’ll defer to Magua, as I’ve only recently started getting into this draft. But from my early looks, top 5 look legit with Hughes (tier by himself), Kaako, Podkolzin, Cozens, & Dach. There’s talent littered with question marks between 6-15, & then it’s going to absolutely plummet after the top 15.

This is another reason I’d rather trade for established prospects rather than a late first this year.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Could you elaborate?

As I've said, I'm still in the early stages of reevaluating my old opinions, but Hughes is a superstar #1 who might be rivaled by only McDavid/Matthews this decade. Kakko is an above average #2, certainly p/pg potential at multiple positions even. Stylistically, he's a little Matthews-lite. Those are two great tickets. But as soon as #3, it gets into shrug territory for me. No player really stands out to me above the rest, and they all have flaws. I feel like I can field ~5 non-Hughes/Kakko names that are above the rest before it drops or evens until the mid-1st. Then, yes, by the back half of the 1st, you're reaching. But names tend to rise, so don't cash that one yet.

I think Zegras is the 3rd most talented player. But he's built like Farabee and you wish he had an extra gear in straight line speed. But I love his IQ, skills, passing, agility. That's more a risk/reward pick, and he still has to climb in the consensus rankings, but he's good.

Cozens has jaw dropping physical tools as a power forward, along with very high IQ and some raw developing skills. Certainly he's top 5 to me. Does he have that star upside though? Do you envision him at center or wing?

Dach can't skate for shit, and a lot of the time he's not even skating -- he's just baby steps and gliding upright. Soft hands, great playmaker, smart, size to grow into, but this is still a skating league. I've seen this story before where a lanky, bad skater takes a long development path to reach his potential. Even then, I'm not sure he's not more a 2C.

Podkolzin has a nice well-rounded scorer's skill-set. But he's kind of an average skater to me, and probably plays more of a power game. He's certainly around the top 5 to me, seems safe, but he's not someone head and shoulders above either as some dynamic player. I've said before, Matthew Boldy might be an equal tier player.

Who else is there? Byram seems to be benefitting from a weak defensive crop, along with being Canada's best d-man. He's good, but I really don't see the #1 potential others see. Maybe fringe top 10 in a vacuum. Krebs I'm way off from on his consensus top 5-10. I don't see it. He lacks any sort of dynamic skill, and I'm not sure he's an elite IQ type to account. Turcotte might be a top 5 player, but he's got a lot to prove coming off his injury. There are others I like after, like Soderstrom and York and Suzuki.....but these don't feel like top 10 picks ideally. Maybe late if you love one.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
As I've said, I'm still in the early stages of reevaluating my old opinions, but Hughes is a superstar #1 who might be rivaled by only McDavid/Matthews this decade. Kakko is an above average #2, certainly p/pg potential at multiple positions even. Stylistically, he's a little Matthews-lite. Those are two great tickets. But as soon as #3, it gets into shrug territory for me. No player really stands out to me above the rest, and they all have flaws. I feel like I can field ~5 non-Hughes/Kakko names that are above the rest before it drops or evens until the mid-1st. Then, yes, by the back half of the 1st, you're reaching. But names tend to rise, so don't cash that one yet.

I think Zegras is the 3rd most talented player. But he's built like Farabee and you wish he had an extra gear in straight line speed. But I love his IQ, skills, passing, agility. That's more a risk/reward pick, and he still has to climb in the consensus rankings, but he's good.

Cozens has jaw dropping physical tools as a power forward, along with very high IQ and some raw developing skills. Certainly he's top 5 to me. Does he have that star upside though? Do you envision him at center or wing?

Dach can't skate for ****, and a lot of the time he's not even skating -- he's just baby steps and gliding upright. Soft hands, great playmaker, smart, size to grow into, but this is still a skating league. I've seen this story before where a lanky, bad skater takes a long development path to reach his potential. Even then, I'm not sure he's not more a 2C.

Podkolzin has a nice well-rounded scorer's skill-set. But he's kind of an average skater to me, and probably plays more of a power game. He's certainly around the top 5 to me, seems safe, but he's not someone head and shoulders above either as some dynamic player. I've said before, Matthew Boldy might be an equal tier player.

Who else is there? Byram seems to be benefitting from a weak defensive crop, along with being Canada's best d-man. He's good, but I really don't see the #1 potential others see. Maybe fringe top 10 in a vacuum. Krebs I'm way off from on his consensus top 5-10. I don't see it. He lacks any sort of dynamic skill, and I'm not sure he's an elite IQ type to account. Turcotte might be a top 5 player, but he's got a lot to prove coming off his injury. There are others I like after, like Soderstrom and York and Suzuki.....but these don't feel like top 10 picks ideally. Maybe late if you love one.

Boldy is a guy that really intrigues me. I can see him rising up pre draft.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I bet Boldy rises. He has the complete game with strong IQ and great puck possession.

I still like Podkolzin. No real weakness except top end skating maybe? Depending on the site, I've seen his skating described as a positive but I'll defer to Magua's expertise on that. He has a nastiness to him and he just seems to have "it". Love he plays all 3 zones, can PK and PP both.

Steve Kournianos:

Scouting Report
A rugged three-zone winger with an incredible compete level that compliments his superior puck skills, Podkolzin has been a top-six fixture for Team Russia at several high-profile international events. This is his first year playing in the MHL — Russia’s premier junior circuit — and he is an early-season favorite to be named one of the league’s top rookies. Podkolzin checks all the intangible blocks, as he can be counted on to address a variety of his coach’s concerns. What separates him from all the other “toolsy” forwards is that he can either create or finish plays while traveling at maximum speed, and his strong balance and stickhandling seems to convince defenders to back off more than they should. Podkolzin is effective both in open ice and during trench warfare, and he’s capable of completing on-the-tape passes that lead directly to quality chances near the net.

Podkolzin can be used to anchor the lead penalty-killing unit or run the power play from the half wall. He is confident with the puck and shows a tremendous amount of poise while controlling it. He’s quite coordinated and has soft hands to handle tough passes, plus Podkolzin hits the net with the majority of his one-time attempts. Without the puck, he’s a crash-and-bang forechecker with powerful leg drive that he uses to jolt bigger defenders off the puck. Podkolzin takes direct routes to the puck, and he anticipates eventual avenues of approach to be used by opposing puck carriers. His foot speed, edge work and agility are excellent, and he should be considered a breakaway threat in open ice. Podkolzin possesses a clear understanding of the game, and his nonstop motor and desire to be the best makes him an asset regardless of whether he’s scoring or not. Keep an eye on his temper and attempts to make big hits.

Reactions: TheKingPin

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
If we win half our games we end up with 78 points and 8th to 10th pick if we get hot and go on a streak we still probably cant make the playoffs but could end up picking 12 - 14. Prospect experts - Do we really care that much? We would probably need to send Hart down to get in the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad