Official 2019-20 Coyotes Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
OEL+2020 1st + Dvorak for Matthews and Dermott. Here it comes...any moment now.

I'd say Raanta has to go in the deal. They need another goalie. OEL, Raanta and whichever other forward/center they want plus the first for Matthews and whatever cap dumps they need to send to make the money work.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really worry about how our Corsi Against is far and away the worst in the league. Evidence of the "turtling" that gets complained about in GDTs, I assume. I don't think a roster move, line tinkering or the return from injury by Hammer fixes that. I'm anticipating a regression in the standings as that catches up to us.
More evidence that proves our goalies are the ones responsible for most of our success this year. We will go only as far as our goalies take us. This is one reason I don't trade Raanta this year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Is there actually any smoke around Matthews or is it just disgruntled fans right now? I was shocked to see a TML fan create a Matthews trade thread.

There are some complaints about Matthews. Most are over the top but some have validity. I doubt trading him is presently being considered but if it was I highly doubt a return like is suggested above gets any attention from the Leafs especially when you want Dermott as well. Matthew's would easily command a higher package on his own. And why would the Leaf's want a LD that I doubt is better than their own number 1??

While it is very unlikely the Leafs would entertain the idea of trading Matthews the bloom is somewhat off the rose. There has been quite a bit of criticism about his lack of effort in the D zone and maybe not being so coachable.

On top of that, it appears that Marner is the guy that makes the team go. Tavares is not going anywhere. And with their cap troubles trading Matthews (hypothetically) could fix a lot of problems. OEL at his salary and current level of play is probably not that enticing. Reilly is clearly better now :(

Dvorak, Crouse, OEL (with $ retained) and the 2020 1st might get a conversation going. They (TML) likely want a backup goalie, too.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That’s a good observation - especially interesting when you consider Chayka is big into analytics. The good news is our Corsi For is in the Top 10.

But looking at the total percentage for both Corsi and Fenwick, there are a few surprising names at the bottom. Islanders, Coyotes, Oilers, Blues, and Aves all separated by 2.7% (Corsi) and 2.1% (Fenwick). Then there are teams like Montreal and LA in the top 5.

I think these numbers give good information, but don’t necessarily tell the whole story.
Hey, welcome! I haven't seen your posts before.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Starting to wonder if the Coyotes need to start looking for a new captain.

OEL's phoning it in so hard lately that I'm surprised he doesn't wear a Verizon sweater.
Think about what this player was just a few years ago. Think about how dynamic he was. Breathtaking plays, high drama, tons of passion. Think about how involved he was in every play. How sneaky dirty and chippy he was. Other teams wanted to strangle him. His lateral mobility was off the charts, he never stopped moving his feet and that shot of his was absolutely deadly.

That’s why he scored 20+ goals a season and was an elite NHL defenseman. That passion and drama and engagement is why he was a great candidate for the captaincy.

Now look at him. He doesn’t give a shit and is barely involved in anything. He’s retired from hockey.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Think about what this player was just a few years ago. Think about how dynamic he was. Breathtaking plays, high drama, tons of passion. Think about how involved he was in every play. How sneaky dirty and chippy he was. Other teams wanted to strangle him. His lateral mobility was off the charts, he never stopped moving his feet and that shot of his was absolutely deadly.

That’s why he scored 20+ goals a season and was an elite NHL defenseman. That passion and drama and engagement is why he was a great candidate for the captaincy.

Now look at him. He doesn’t give a **** and is barely involved in anything. He’s retired from hockey.
That is a terrifying assessment of his play.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
He used to be one of our most accurate shooters but now he just takes those wrist flick shots that never get through. Heaven forbid he take a slapper now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Thanks for posting that, was a good read. I do wish there was more information on why OEL has struggled this season. I think at this point, many of us would be open to moving him for the right pieces.
I would not have traded him for the Mathews pick a few years ago, but I would now. I wonder if TML would be open to it now, they need D, and Mathews wants to be in AZ. Assuming OEL would wave his NTC, this could make sense for both teams, maybe other pieces are involved to make it work. Could be a deal this summer as well.

I also wonder if OEL has an issue with Tocc or vise versa? He is still young, seems like mental mistakes mostly, but not as sharp as he used to be? I would also do this now versus a few years ago because of the emergence of Chych, he could be a 1D in the making.

Last edited:

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
OEL had something like 3 fewer minutes TOI than both Chych and Gogo last night. Singular sample, sure... But given how poor the team looked defensively last night, it's potentially interesting in that when things were so dire Tocchet kept going to Chych/Gogo over OEL.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
OEL had something like 3 fewer minutes TOI than both Chych and Gogo last night. Singular sample, sure... But given how poor the team looked defensively last night, it's potentially interesting in that when things were so dire Tocchet kept going to Chych/Gogo over OEL.
Partlt his D partner but tocc also put Osterle on PP1 in Chicago, clearly Tocc sees his poor play.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Chychrun has been our best PLAYER (not just defense. Player) this year. Goligoski is a close second. Then everyone else. In my opinion, it may be best to get OEL with Hammer when he gets back. Not for Hammer's sake, but OEL could REALLY use help right now.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Partlt his D partner but tocc also put Osterle on PP1 in Chicago, clearly Tocc sees his poor play.
Yeah, I debated going back over the last few games and comparing their TOI but was feeling too lazy to actually follow through... ;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yeah, I debated going back over the last few games and comparing their TOI but was feeling too lazy to actually follow through... ;)
I was in Chicago for that game, OEL is just off now, very middle of the road D on both ends, I hope he snaps out of it.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Just because you were there...

upload_2019-12-11_13-43-7.png

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeister

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I always wonder if Oliver is playing through another injury? I also question if he is brittle and always playing through these injuries.
When he is 100% he is one of the best Ds. Hjmarlsson &Demers out, our right side sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigJCaRoach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad