Official 2019-20 Coyotes Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My main point was if I was asked what it would take to see the Coyotes in 1st place in the Pacific in December I would guess that Keller was ppg or better, OEL had reverted to being a top 15 D in the league, and Kessel was leading a league best PP.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I was asked what it would take to see the Coyotes in 1st place in the Pacific in December

(Don't forget our top prospect being a nightly scratch for the most part)

You'd think, but what goes normally around here? :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So let's use that. Chychrun is value, Dvorak is close, Schmatz is slightly overpaid, Keller is really overpaid, and OEL is severely overpaid. Of those 5 i think only one of them would have a chance of getting more contract by waiting a year to see what they are. That was the risk we questioned. Dvorak and Chychrun were never a big deal cause not that much money in reality. But combine them all.....
Keller’s hasn’t kicked in yet. If he doesn’t progress at all this year then yes he will be overpaid.

Dvorak is playing to his contract. I think there is already value with Schmaltz. Chychrun definitely a bargain.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
We still need scoring pretty clearly. Nick Schmaltz and Clayton Keller are our two leading point scorers on the team, and both only have five goals. Imagine if they had another weapon to pass to?

I would kill for Hoffman on this team, same with Hall. Really hoping for Kreider at this point as well.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I know it's two years away but when the new US tv deal kicks in and the salary cap goes up, those contracts that might look like they're slight overpayments now will all the sudden look like fair to underpaid deals. I think getting them locked in through that cap bump really helps us out in the long term because we can probably swing for a big free agent when the new deal is here *cough* Matthews.

Also, for all the s*** OEL gets, I think he's still more valuable then we think. He's drawing the tougher defensive matchups because teams still think he's a #1. This allows Chychrun to take the lesser of the competition and so far he's been thriving.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ohh, this idea isn't in response to Demers. More so about getting OEL going. I think he can freelance a little more with Hammer back there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah. That too. OEL has been bad.

I sure would love to acquire that Gilbert kid from Chicago, though. Love to have him as our 7th D instead of Lyubushkin.

If Hayton isn’t going to play, I wouldn’t mind sending him back and picking up a buy low Klim Kostin as our 13F.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Can’t wait for the Craig Morgan article this summer where OEL is talking about how he lost his passion for the game.
To be fair OEL does this pretty much every year. I can remember bitching about his slow starts and how ineffective he is the first 3 months of the season as far back as the underwear model days. I don't know the why but it seems OEL needs like 40+ games to get going. Now if he struggles all season long, then I'll be worried, really worried.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Thoughts on putting Hammer with OEL once he returns? Then go Oesterle/Demers?
Maybe start Hammer with Osterle for a game or two, that could shore up our third pairing D which has been scary. Then move Hammer to OEL and try to get him going. We don’t want to break up Chych/Goose, been playing too well.

RABBIT

Yeah. That too. OEL has been bad.

I sure would love to acquire that Gilbert kid from Chicago, though. Love to have him as our 7th D instead of Lyubushkin.

If Hayton isn’t going to play, I wouldn’t mind sending him back and picking up a buy low Klim Kostin as our 13F.

Check out that Double Pad stack save by Lehner of Keller last night on YouTube (or the main boards.) Gilbert was the reason Keller was all alone. Realllly poor positioning, almost like he forgot Keller was there. I was not impressed with his game at all last night, especially for the extra 2 and a 10 that he took that cost his team a goal. I don't mind defending your teams honor but if the guy doesnt wanna go, don't force the issue.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Can’t wait for the Craig Morgan article this summer where OEL is talking about how he lost his passion for the game.
Maybe OEL will find is passion by playing in US/Canada east coast market, problem is the media in those markets would shred him for playing this inconsistently, especially on year 1 of an 8 year/$66M deal.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
To be fair OEL does this pretty much every year. I can remember *****ing about his slow starts and how ineffective he is the first 3 months of the season as far back as the underwear model days. I don't know the why but it seems OEL needs like 40+ games to get going. Now if he struggles all season long, then I'll be worried, really worried.
but that's part of the OEL problem......Coyotes can't afford to play $8M+ for a guy who shows up in January.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Can we just appreciate the Connauton for Soderberg trade for a minute?
No. Because Tyson Nash and Matt McConnell call it the most underrated “signing” of the off-season literally every single broadcast. They talk about what a bargain deal Chayka gave him. We’ve never given him a contract. He’s never signed with us. Haha. It’s maddening. Every. Single. Game.

rt

May 13, 2004
Check out that Double Pad stack save by Lehner of Keller last night on YouTube (or the main boards.) Gilbert was the reason Keller was all alone. Realllly poor positioning, almost like he forgot Keller was there. I was not impressed with his game at all last night, especially for the extra 2 and a 10 that he took that cost his team a goal. I don't mind defending your teams honor but if the guy doesnt wanna go, don't force the issue.
I see Lyubushkin utterly overwhelmed in his own zone absolutely any time the opposition gains possession. He’s completely unable to cope with it. He’s a train wreck.

I have a REALLY low bar at this point. And Lyubushkin can’t clear it. He’s the worst defensemen I’ve seen in the NHL in years.

RABBIT

I see Lyubushkin utterly overwhelmed in his own zone absolutely any time the opposition gains possession. He’s completely unable to cope with it. He’s a train wreck.

I have a REALLY low bar at this point. And Lyubushkin can’t clear it. He’s the worst defensemen I’ve seen in the NHL in years.

And I agree with you to a degree but why add to that by acquiring someone else identical? A left hand shot at bat?

Reactions: Ghostface Keller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino