Official 2019-20 Coyotes Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And I agree with you to a degree but why add to that by acquiring someone else identical? A left hand shot at bat?
He throws big open ice hits. He takes zero bullshit around the net. Sticks up for teammates, is involved in every scrums, and beats the shit out of people.

What does Lyubushkin do other than panic and struggle to make basic plays? He’s a pure liability that contributed nothing. Liabushkin.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^Meh, as a fan if I'm gonna lose I'd rather lose with a guy who isn't an idiot. Whatever. When Keith/Hjalmarsson return these two'll be slugging it out in Rockford and Tucson.

Edit: it may have already happened. CHI called up Boqvist from Rockford, prompting this on the Blackhawks board: "Too bad, I was really getting used to seeing Gilbert limp around the ice out there and cost us points."

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe OEL will find is passion by playing in US/Canada east coast market, problem is the media in those markets would shred him for playing this inconsistently, especially on year 1 of an 8 year/$66M deal.

I have this nagging feeling that OEL is a "big ice" performer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I have this nagging feeling that OEL is a "big ice" performer.
He turns it up as the games become "more important" down the stretch every year, but he also has not exactly shined in international play. So I'm not sure I buy this. He just gives zero f***s and is part of the "it's just a game *shrug*" crowd.
I understand why they locked him down, and I'm glad for it. But giving him the C was probably a bad choice. And honestly, he looks disinterested more often than not. He got a big pass the year he lost his mother (who could not), but he's never come back to play since.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I really worry about how our Corsi Against is far and away the worst in the league. Evidence of the "turtling" that gets complained about in GDTs, I assume. I don't think a roster move, line tinkering or the return from injury by Hammer fixes that. I'm anticipating a regression in the standings as that catches up to us.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I find myself really wishing we were easing Capobianco into some sort of bottom pairing rotation with Oesterle and Ness (replacing Ness with Lyubushkin once Hammer returns) to get minutes, similar to what Calgary did and are doing with Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki.

Reactions: Jakey53 and AZviaNJ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I find myself really wishing we were easing Capobianco into some sort of bottom pairing rotation with Oesterle and Ness (replacing Ness with Lyubushkin once Hammer returns) to get minutes, similar to what Calgary did and are doing with Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki.

Believe they were showcasing him as the #1 in Tucson in preparation for a potential trade.

Toasterle has a Jekyll/Hyde thing going on and Bush makes everyone look bad.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Capobianco part of the deal for Hall? ;)
I'm a big Capobianco fan but we won't miss him any more than we miss POJ.

Callahan and Bahl can fight over the right to replace Oesterle for the 2021-22 season.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There's not even a spot for Capo next season if Soderstrom makes the team.

1-6 is OEL Hammer Goose Chychrun Demers Soderstrom.

Reactions: Biz20

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't think we're anywhere near good enough to say there isn't a spot for a talented player. No reason Capo couldn't earn a spot next year. Goligoski, Demers and Hammer are a year older and Hammer is one block away from missing a bunch of games. Lots of room to add someone that challenges those guys.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Confused by these moves ... Chaput down, Russo up. No apparent injuries? Maybe just feeding him an NHL pay cheque?

Howlin4You

Nov 23, 2019
I really worry about how our Corsi Against is far and away the worst in the league. Evidence of the "turtling" that gets complained about in GDTs, I assume. I don't think a roster move, line tinkering or the return from injury by Hammer fixes that. I'm anticipating a regression in the standings as that catches up to us.

That’s a good observation - especially interesting when you consider Chayka is big into analytics. The good news is our Corsi For is in the Top 10.

But looking at the total percentage for both Corsi and Fenwick, there are a few surprising names at the bottom. Islanders, Coyotes, Oilers, Blues, and Aves all separated by 2.7% (Corsi) and 2.1% (Fenwick). Then there are teams like Montreal and LA in the top 5.

I think these numbers give good information, but don’t necessarily tell the whole story.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL+2020 1st + Dvorak for Matthews and Dermott. Here it comes...any moment now.

I've thought about that a lot. But that'd be a massive dice roll on Dubas' end. OEL's play has been trending downward for awhile. They'd have to bank on him turning it around, otherwise that trade is a bloodbath and probably gets him fired.

But if the Toronto media does their thing, Matthews may fall into Chayka's lap regardless. Canadian teams really do love blaming singular players and chasing them out of town.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I've thought about that a lot. But that'd be a massive dice roll on Dubas' end. OEL's play has been trending downward for awhile. They'd have to bank on him turning it around, otherwise that trade is a bloodbath and probably gets him fired.

But if the Toronto media does their thing, Matthews may fall into Chayka's lap regardless. Canadian teams really do love blaming singular players and chasing them out of town.

Is there actually any smoke around Matthews or is it just disgruntled fans right now? I was shocked to see a TML fan create a Matthews trade thread.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Is there actually any smoke around Matthews or is it just disgruntled fans right now? I was shocked to see a TML fan create a Matthews trade thread.
There are some complaints about Matthews. Most are over the top but some have validity. I doubt trading him is presently being considered but if it was I highly doubt a return like is suggested above gets any attention from the Leafs especially when you want Dermott as well. Matthew's would easily command a higher package on his own. And why would the Leaf's want a LD that I doubt is better than their own number 1??

Reactions: Grimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->