Official 2019-20 Coyotes Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Assume the Coyotes acquire Hall without giving up a key roster player...( I say a 1st, Hinostroza and good prospect) how do you see the lines shaking out?

Hall - Stepan - Keller
Garland - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Soderberg - Kessel
Grabner - Richardson - Fischer
Yep. Something like that.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Assume the Coyotes acquire Hall without giving up a key roster player...( I say a 1st, Hinostroza and good prospect) how do you see the lines shaking out?

Hall - Stepan - Keller
That second line would need the most favorable of matchups but I love it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Hall - Stepan - Keller

Could also see:

Hall-Dvorak-Kessel
Hayton-Schmaltz-Keller
Crouse-Soderberg-Garland
Grabner-Stepan-Fischer
Richardson

I think that Richardson is about to the point where he is still a decent enough player, but we need something more out of him and this is the last season he could contribute enough at the NHL level.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And hope Hayton slowly replaces Stepan?

I will be absolutely floored if Stepan is a Coyote after this coming offseason. Keller's deal is kicking in along with Kuemper's raise. I've talked about this before, but this year is a min-max year, where the roster will not get appreciably better from here on out, as guys start getting paid. This is the danger zone where rebuilds stall out hard. If there ever was a time to absolutely floor it, now is the time.

If they pay Hall, they can still keep Kessel and won't be in a bind in future season assuming the cap keeps rising and both Raanta and Stepan get moved. Soderberg would have to come back at a reduced rate, which looks like a possibility. Hayton and Soderstrom would have to 'hit', which looks more likely than not.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I will be absolutely floored if Stepan is a Coyote after this coming offseason.

If he were holding tough as a half per guy who could take tough matchups that would be one thing. But this like 30 point a year guy who also can't skate with the rest of the offense is not exactly on my must keep list. Even if we take a hit on shipping him out, some team out there will want C depth and veteran presence for a buy low price.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If he were holding tough as a half per guy who could take tough matchups that would be one thing. But this like 30 point a year guy who also can't skate with the rest of the offense is not exactly on my must keep list. Even if we take a hit on shipping him out, some team out there will want C depth and veteran presence for a buy low price.

6.5m is a tough ask for what is likely an okay 3C for most teams. But he has no NMC, so l8ter dude.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Stepan has leapfrogged Goligoski in the "need to move to free up cap" category. So long as Hayton can show enough this year that we're comfortable with him being a regular.

Believe the cap is staying flat next year with only very minimal increases until the next US TV deal comes in.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just to add to what XX was getting at...

I posted the other day that Cap Friendly has us with the exact same cap hit for next season as this one. Only we get to it with 6 fewer contracts (17 vs 23)

I agree with him in that something has to give with our veterans.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Scary thing is we are approaching cap casualty space without having even made the playoffs yet. With so many teams near the cap it is very difficult to move salary now. Look at what it cost the Jets just to get rid of Steve Mason (Joel Armia and a 4th and 7th round pick). And they still could not sign any of their pending UFA's.

Reactions: RemoAZ and _Del_

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Scary thing is we are approaching cap casualty space without having even made the playoffs yet. With so many teams near the cap it is very difficult to move salary now. Look at what it cost the Jets just to get rid of Steve Mason (Joel Armia and a 4th and 7th round pick). And they still could not sign any of their pending UFA's.

A team like Columbus might have space, I can see Stepan being sent there, even if the Coyotes have to subsidize it a bit. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I want to keep Stepan. A big reason why this team is good is the huge improvement in C depth from prior years.

Next season should be even better if we extend Yeti and Hayton replaces Richardson.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Which is a big reason why trading for Hall would be a massive mistake. He will eat so much cap. We are talking about trading blue-chip prospects -and probably guys being part of the group already- for a rental here. A rental with four goals so far this season. Four. A minus 11. (Edit: that aged well. But still.) Not even looking at Hall being cursed, but if curses are real, Hall is the guy for that. But the cap, man.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Hall - Stepan - Keller
Pretty much it. I'd sub in Hayton for Richardson, who is now the player I was afraid he'd be last year. Then we have one of Fish or Vinnie in the RW slot on the fourth line.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stepan should have been traded last year when you could say he had an off year, but now, everyone knows it was not an off year but old age etc. RT likes his vets to a fault, a big fault. Stepan still leads the forwards in TOI.

I will be absolutely floored if Stepan is a Coyote after this coming offseason. Keller's deal is kicking in along with Kuemper's raise. I've talked about this before, but this year is a min-max year, where the roster will not get appreciably better from here on out, as guys start getting paid. This is the danger zone where rebuilds stall out hard. If there ever was a time to absolutely floor it, now is the time.

If they pay Hall, they can still keep Kessel and won't be in a bind in future season assuming the cap keeps rising and both Raanta and Stepan get moved. Soderberg would have to come back at a reduced rate, which looks like a possibility. Hayton and Soderstrom would have to 'hit', which looks more likely than not.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

6.5m is a tough ask for what is likely an okay 3C for most teams. But he has no NMC, so l8ter dude.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stepan should have been traded last year when you could say he had an off year,

Eh, our C Depth sucks as it is and that's with getting Soderberg basically for free.

IMO buying Stepan for a 1st round pick was essentially paying for him in any circumstance, there was evidence of his decline back then too. We paid the price for a reasonably effective top 6 C because we had none and they are really expensive.

I'm not worried about losing abstract value for him, he did his job for a time but that's clearly ending at least in terms of effectiveness.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want to keep Stepan. A big reason why this team is good is the huge improvement in C depth from prior years.

Next season should be even better if we extend Yeti and Hayton replaces Richardson.
The reason for our improvement at C is Soderberg and DVO. Stepan is a 3C on a good team. He should be on this team as well except our coach thinks he's McDavid.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think you're too hard on him Jakey. Yeah he hasn't been as good as he was in NY but nobody comes here and scores like they did before they got here. Look at some of the scrap heap vets we had logging big minutes in the few years prior to Stepan. It could and HAS been a lot worse. He's still a good player, just not a star and unfortunately he has to play a #1 role here simply because we haven't had a #1 since Roenick.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
$5m real money & 15 team no trade will make it hard to trade him.
Koivu replacement?

He has no NTC, NMC, or trade list. It was voided by the team. And no one cares about his real dollars, just his outsized cap hit.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
$5m real money & 15 team no trade will make it hard to trade him.
Koivu replacement?

Probably one of the few non-contenders he would go to. He is a fine 3C and I still think he can help a rebuilding team with his locker room presence and being a good defender to take pressure off younger players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you're too hard on him Jakey. Yeah he hasn't been as good as he was in NY but nobody comes here and scores like they did before they got here. Look at some of the scrap heap vets we had logging big minutes in the few years prior to Stepan. It could and HAS been a lot worse. He's still a good player, just not a star and unfortunately he has to play a #1 role here simply because we haven't had a #1 since Roenick.
5M salary, 6.5M cap hit for a 30 pt. player. I don't give a damn about years past, I'm talking about last year and this year. Why does he have to play a 1C role? He is a 2C at best, probably more a 3C on a good team. He still gets the most minutes of any forward. Get's 1 PP time.Think of that for a second. He does not deserve that kind of TOI. I would trade his ass at the first chance I could. I'm not saying he is a bad player, just not worth what he brings, and if you add in his cap hit, worth alot less.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Last year a good third our roster was made up of guys we Uber’d up from Tucson or snatched off the waiver wire. Trading away any of what veterans we had left who could still stand up would have asinine at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad