Official 2019-20 Coyotes Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
5M salary, 6.5M cap hit for a 30 pt. player. I don't give a damn about years past, I'm talking about last year and this year. Why does he have to play a 1C role? He is a 2C at best, probably more a 3C on a good team. He still gets the most minutes of any forward. Get's 1 PP time.Think of that for a second. He does not deserve that kind of TOI. I would trade his ass at the first chance I could. I'm not saying he is a bad player, just not worth what he brings, and if you add in his cap hit, worth alot less.
Sounds like we'd be better off trading the coach than trading his favourite toys.

I agree that Stepan is a 2nd/3rd line C. Problem is, we don't have a top line C that deserves his minutes. Dvorak is pretty much a younger Stepan and while Soderberg might go about his business in a different way, he's generally about as effective. Next season will be great when Hayton gets Richardson's spot. We'll have 4 2/3 C's instead of just 3 of them.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I'd be interested to see if the team kept the same 4 lines for more than 2, 3 games. Guys can't build chemistry when they don't know who they will be playing with.

I understand moving one guy up or down a file, but Kessel should keep playing with a Keller or Schmaltz and probably shouldn't be playing with a Richardson.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think alot of that was for faceoff wins..

Also after pk or pp

Side note the Pittsburgh announcer said Schmaltz was really showing his displeasure being pulled off the ice with the goalie pulled... shaking his head all the way back to the bench.... hope this doesn't escalate into something..

Reactions: Name Nameless

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I think alot of that was for faceoff wins..

Also after pk or pp

Side note the Pittsburgh announcer said Schmaltz was really showing his displeasure being pulled off the ice with the goalie pulled... shaking his head all the way back to the bench.... hope this doesn't escalate into something..
He had the least amount of ice time of anyone on the team other than Lyubushkin against the Flyers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sounds like we'd be better off trading the coach than trading his favourite toys.

I agree that Stepan is a 2nd/3rd line C. Problem is, we don't have a top line C that deserves his minutes. Dvorak is pretty much a younger Stepan and while Soderberg might go about his business in a different way, he's generally about as effective. Next season will be great when Hayton gets Richardson's spot. We'll have 4 2/3 C's instead of just 3 of them.
Stepan with his play and contract are a boat anchor for this team. If he was pulling down the same salary as Soderberg, and played the role of a Richardson, fine, not playing on the #1PP or getting more TOI than ANY forward on this team. The real kicker here is that I wouldn't be surprised if we see him not being traded and playing the same role next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He had the least amount of ice time of anyone on the team other than Lyubushkin against the Flyers.
Not sure if you noticed, Garland is getting the same treatment. I mentioned this a while back and some were saying that RT is doing the right thing because Garland will wear down because of size. I totally disagree with this. Sorry, but giving your leader in points and leading goal scorer 12 min. a night is not a winning formula.

Reactions: _Del_

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Paywall article:
Neutral Zone: Examining the Coyotes’ place in the Taylor...

I really liked the article, of course John Chayka wouldn't confirm or deny interest in Taylor Hall but he specifically mentioned that his team is showing him that they are serious about competing and he will do his job to reciprocate that effort and make sure he can take us to the next level. Morgan thinks that if we somehow miss out on Hall, to still expect another splash of some sort. I was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast yesterday and Elliotte Friedman said that he wouldn't be surprised if the Coyotes had their eyes on Chris Kreider from New York as well. Basically saying our number one need is glaringly obvious, and that's someone that will shoot the puck.

Chayka - “I think you have to take direction from your team,” he said. “Right now, with the way the team is playing, they’re saying they want to be serious about making a push.
“I view each season as sacred. Any time you get a chance to make a push, you have to look to do that. When players have earned that right and are serious about making a push — if they’re doing their job then I’ve got to do my job. If these guys keep playing hard and playing well, then yeah, I think it’s going to force us to make some additions to this team."

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Not sure if you noticed, Garland is getting the same treatment. I mentioned this a while back and some were saying that RT is doing the right thing because Garland will wear down because of size. I totally disagree with this. Sorry, but giving your leader in points and leading goal scorer 12 min. a night is not a winning formula.

He is keeping Garland healthy and hungry to the playoffs, where he of course will get 20 min ice-time per game. :crossfing

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I did notice. But it really annoys the hell out of me that when Schmaltz goes cold he gets this treatment. But when Keller goes cold he still gets prime minutes to get out of his funk. I don’t view either as being any better than the other, so I don’t get why Schmaltz gets shafted and Keller doesn’t. Especially when it also brings Garlands minutes down as well, seeing as how they are line mates.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I did notice. But it really annoys the hell out of me that when Schmaltz goes cold he gets this treatment. But when Keller goes cold he still gets prime minutes to get out of his funk. I don’t view either as being any better than the other, so I don’t get why Schmaltz gets shafted and Keller doesn’t. Especially when it also brings Garlands minutes down as well, seeing as how they are line mates.
Yup, RT has his fav's. Hell, he has been trying to get Stepan out of his funk for the last year and a half by giving him more TOI than any other forward, and playing 1PP where he should be playing a bottom six role. I guess RT has his reasons.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yup, RT has his fav's. Hell, he has been trying to get Stepan out of his funk for the last year and a half by giving him more TOI than any other forward, and playing 1PP where he should be playing a bottom six role. I guess RT has his reasons.

If only he would have taken the same approach with Strome. He should have worn 22 and brought Tocc a doughnut every morning.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hard to believe the team is where it is in the standings considering the supposed to be scorers / best players on the team are under achieving: OEL, Kessel, Stepan and Keller are the 4 highest paid players on the team and are not earning it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hard to believe the team is where it is in the standings considering the supposed to be scorers / best players on the team are under achieving: OEL, Kessel, Stepan and Keller are the 4 highest paid players on the team and are not earning it.
Keller is still on his entry deal. He's the 19th highest paid player on the team this season.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Keller is still on his entry deal. He's the 19th highest paid player on the team this season.
Technically yes. He has that huge contract signed though. 3rd year is supposed to be a breakout year. He is regressing. That is a problem / concern.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Technically yes. He has that huge contract signed though. 3rd year is supposed to be a breakout year. He is regressing. That is a problem / concern.
I think he's been much better this year than last year. Stats will show that by end of season.

I was told the big $ contracts we signed Schmaltz, Chychrun, and Dvorak were mistakes as well last year. It's amazing how perspective can change once those contracts actually kick in.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He's not regressing, just not converting. Domi went through the same thing.
I appreciate you opinion. I only get to watch a few games so rely a lot on the comments here. I was of the impression Keller was performing - for the most part - poorly. Certainly his point totals suck.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think he's been much better this year than last year. Stats will show that by end of season.

I was told the big $ contracts we signed Schmaltz, Chychrun, and Dvorak were mistakes as well last year. It's amazing how perspective can change once those contracts actually kick in.
I think if the Coyote's had waited on the 4 or 5 big contracts they might have saved money right now. Who is really outperforming their contract by any significant margin? Most of us just saw risk in signing too many long term contracts based only on perceived potential.

Reactions: cobra427

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think if the Coyote's had waited on the 4 or 5 big contracts they might have saved money right now. Who is really outperforming their contract by any significant margin? Most of us just saw risk in signing too many long term contracts based only on perceived potential.

If what we are seeing out of Chychrun holds. He’s establishing himself as a top 2 D. I think if we took a vote that there would be a shocking percentage who think Chychrun is our top D today.

Up until his recent cold stretch offensively I’d argue Schmaltz was our best player.

Dvorak has been solid. I’d like to see more consistent offense but he’s already meeting his deal IMO.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If what we are seeing out of Chychrun holds. He’s establishing himself as a top 2 D. I think if we took a vote that there would be a shocking percentage who think Chychrun is our top D today.

Up until his recent cold stretch offensively I’d argue Schmaltz was our best player.

Dvorak has been solid. I’d like to see more consistent offense but he’s already meeting his deal IMO.
So let's use that. Chychrun is value, Dvorak is close, Schmatz is slightly overpaid, Keller is really overpaid, and OEL is severely overpaid. Of those 5 i think only one of them would have a chance of getting more contract by waiting a year to see what they are. That was the risk we questioned. Dvorak and Chychrun were never a big deal cause not that much money in reality. But combine them all.....

Reactions: cobra427

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

I like the strategy. For the player, the threath of a final injury is always there. To get a contract early should mean they are willing to take a discount on the expected contract. And the expected contract would be good + bad divided by probabilites, so if they stay healthy, that contract would in itself be lower than the expected contract (if healthy, that is, editing in a bit more here), + you also get the discount advantage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad