Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Definitely a winger, unless a Defender drops that has value too good to pass up.

Crouse, Strome and Greenway are 3 guys that I like a lot. Strome is a guy listed as a C, but I think his future in the NHL is likely at wing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Definitely a winger, unless a Defender drops that has value too good to pass up.

Crouse, Strome and Greenway are 3 guys that I like a lot. Strome is a guy listed as a C, but I think his future in the NHL is likely at wing.

Strome is keeping pace with MacDavid in scoring right now. C or not, you can't pass up on him if you can get him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
U bring up some good points, but what i also want to point out is that it's not just high picks, but its also a clear direction from a franchise point of view. Chicago , pittsburgh, and LA took a rebuild approach which allotted them some high picks. But why they were successful and teams like Floirda, and Edm wander in obscurity is because they hit on some picks much like we hit on giroux.

They didn't just get the easy picks right like towes, kane, doughty, crosby and malkin. They got studs in the 2nd round like quick,simmonds, keith,goligoski, letang. Call it luck or good scouting but you have to hit on more than just your first rounders if you plan on ever becoming a great team, and so far edmonton has done a horrible job of that, and florida is yet to be scene.

Don't forget, Chicago fleecing us of Patrick Sharp and signing Marian Hossa when both Detroit and Pittsburgh foolishly decided not to lock him up to a long-term deal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't know about that, big skilled centers are at a premium in this league. He played center all last year with Erie & only really moved up to wing with McDavid this year because Erie lost 3 of their 4 top scorers up front from last year.

Either way I wouldn't pass him up if I was the Flyers. We need skilled players regardless of their position.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Jesper Lindgren really intrigues me. He is a D, but very, very talented offensively and is now 6ft. We won't take him, and shouldn't... but I will be following his career after the draft closely.

Crouse, Zacha, Greenway and Rantanen are probably the guys ~in our range who I instinctively like the most.

Looking forward to seeing what Greenway can do this year and if his skating can keep improving...

We also really, really need a 2nd round pick in this draft even if ~50.

Guys like Ryan Gropp, Gustaf Franzen, Fredrik Forsberg, Adam Musil, Filip Chlapik and Aleksi Saarela could well end up as 2nd rounders... and all have top 6 potential NHL wise.

Jens Lööke, Timo Meier and Einar Emanuelsson are guys that are pretty intriguing who probably go after the 2nd.

Timo Meier I think could end up going early 2nd though... kid has everything from what I have seen and now is starting to score. I am starting to really like the guy.

Jens Lööke is looking pretty good for Brynas. I am not sure he has the upside a guy like Meier has... but he could be a very solid middle 6 winger who could be had with a 3rd.

Einar Emanuelsson is rapid. He also has a lot of skill. Only seen him once but if he grows (5'10 and 160lbs, his brother aged 23 is 6'0 and 210) he could be an absolute steal.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Forward, unless we somehow get the 3rd pick. Then Hanafin might be BPA.

Shame Hanafin is not a RHD. If he was then it would be like the perfect prospect for the Flyers to try and get. I will gladly take all three of Eichel, Hanafin and McDavid though! :naughty:

Dreams are just dreams...:cry:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I don't think Hextall values wings that high. I think he said something to that affect that you build down the middle and in the salary cap world a position has to take a back seat and that is on the wings. Can't find the quote so maybe I am not remembering that properly but if you look at his draft history with the kings, it follows that pattern.

Hextall got there in June of 2006 so you figured his biggest impact would from the 2007 draft on until in 2013. Here are the 1st round picks:
2007: Thomas Hickey at 4th overall. The Kings went way off the board for that pick
2008: Drew Doughty #2 overall. Colten Teubert #13.
2009: Brayden Schenn #5
2010: Derek Forbort D at #15
2012: Tanner Pearson L at #30.

So that's 4 of the first 5 picks were defenders with the other one being a center. The Kings finally used a 1st rd pick at 30 overall on Pearson in 2012. They had good success with wingers in the 2nd rd like Simmonds and Toffoli.

Now that's not a big sample size and how much input Hextall had on final say in drafting is debatable. Also the Kings system looked different than the Flyers when he arrived. However I look at the Forbort pick as a pretty big parallel to the Flyers current situation. The Kings system had Hickey, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Jack Johnson, Teubert, and Voynov when they traded up to chose Forbort. They definitely could of used more scoring but chose another defenseman.

Point of all this is I think the Flyers will be choosing a defenseman or center this draft. As far as current center depth goes, if Hextall is serious about slow development, any center taken in June won't hit the NHL team for another 3 years when Claude Giroux will be 30 years old.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
We are going to get McDavid

85042d1413895910-nhl-15-patch-1-04-available-now-full-details-included-nhl-15_20141021083927.jpg

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I don't think Hextall values wings that high. I think he said something to that affect that you build down the middle and in the salary cap world a position has to take a back seat and that is on the wings. Can't find the quote so maybe I am not remembering that properly but if you look at his draft history with the kings, it follows that pattern.

Hextall got there in June of 2006 so you figured his biggest impact would from the 2007 draft on until in 2013. Here are the 1st round picks:
2007: Thomas Hickey at 4th overall. The Kings went way off the board for that pick
2008: Drew Doughty #2 overall. Colten Teubert #13.
2009: Brayden Schenn #5
2010: Derek Forbort D at #15
2012: Tanner Pearson L at #30.

So that's 4 of the first 5 picks were defenders with the other one being a center. The Kings finally used a 1st rd pick at 30 overall on Pearson in 2012. They had good success with wingers in the 2nd rd like Simmonds and Toffoli.

Now that's not a big sample size and how much input Hextall had on final say in drafting is debatable. Also the Kings system looked different than the Flyers when he arrived. However I look at the Forbort pick as a pretty big parallel to the Flyers current situation. The Kings system had Hickey, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Jack Johnson, Teubert, and Voynov when they traded up to chose Forbort. They definitely could of used more scoring but chose another defenseman.

Point of all this is I think the Flyers will be choosing a defenseman or center this draft. As far as current center depth goes, if Hextall is serious about slow development, any center taken in June won't hit the NHL team for another 3 years when Claude Giroux will be 30 years old.

I think he was simply speaking to a hierarchy of need. You build down the middle, which I agree with, and we've already done that. I understand your thinking, but you have to look at it within reason. If you're just picking Centers and a defensemen when your future cores biggest strengths are at both of those positions, it creates logjams, inconsistencies in lineups, while still remaining weak on the wings. Eventually, some of those prospects would need to be traded for help in that area anyway...Balance is what wins championships. Something this team doesn't have, and something im sure Hextall sees.

Our core for the future
Center:
Giroux
Couturier
Laughton
(Schenn if he doesn't stick at wing or get traded)

Defense:
Morin
Sanheim
Gostisbehere
Hagg

Wing:
Voracek
Simmonds
Aube-Kubel?

Obviously, If a guy like McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin or Strome fall to you, you pick them, as it's all about value that high in the draft... But if we're picking ~10 and its a little more subjective, I think you need to go for the BPA at your needed position, in our case that's at left wing.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think he was simply speaking to a hierarchy of need. You build down the middle, which I agree with, and we've already done that. I understand your thinking, but you have to look at it within reason. If you're just picking Centers and a defensemen when your future cores biggest strengths are at both of those positions, it creates logjams, inconsistencies in lineups, while still remaining weak on the wings. Eventually, some of those prospects would need to be traded for help in that area anyway...Balance is what wins championships. Something this team doesn't have, and something im sure Hextall sees.

Our core for the future
Center:
Giroux
Couturier
Laughton
(Schenn if he doesn't stick at wing or get traded)

Secondly, you build the backend

Defense:
Morin
Sanheim
Gostisbehere
Hagg

Wing:
Voracek
Simmonds
Aube-Kubel?

Obviously, If a guy like McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin or Strome fall to you, you pick them, as it's all about value that high in the draft... But if we're picking ~10 and its a little more subjective, I think you need to go for the BPA at your needed position, in our case that's at left wing.

I think when picking 18 years old, you should always take BPA. There is no telling what the Flyers need will be in 3-4 years when these prospects are ready. I also don't think there is any harm in having too much center or defense depth. As you said, some will have to be traded but because of the premium of the position, those guys tend to bring in the most in trade. By stocking up on defensemen, the Kings were able to move Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter which put them over the top.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Draft BPA all the time. If someone like McDavid or Eichel are there when you pick, you do it. If you are worried about the wings then draft players who have high IQ that can adjust and play in different situations.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Definitely BPA. Maybe if we are choosing between a LHD and a LW of equal value, then you draft for need. But, in almost all cases it is smart to take BPA.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
BPA is funny though. Was Sanheim BPA when he was selected? Probably not but he has a very high upside. Same with Morin. I want highest upside players drafted. Doesn't matter to me if they are BPA at the time they are drafted or not.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
BPA is funny though. Was Sanheim BPA when he was selected? Probably not but he has a very high upside. Same with Morin. I want highest upside players drafted. Doesn't matter to me if they are BPA at the time they are drafted or not.

Flyers had Morin at #6 so he was their best player available. I thought it was pretty much understood the BPA is pretty much best potential at any position. These kids are 18, that's really all they have at the time you are drafting them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Draft BPA all the time. If someone like McDavid or Eichel are there when you pick, you do it. If you are worried about the wings then draft players who have high IQ that can adjust and play in different situations.

Lol, good luck at the obvious awards.

Someone like McDavid or Eichel are generational talents that you usually only land with a top 3 pick and when you pick in the top 3, you pick BPA.

When you usually pick after 15 and the players talents are far more closely matched, I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting need. Sanheim wasn't BPA last year but he was fastest rising and he filled a need even more than a guy like Tuch would have filled. Hextall realized right away that our long-term outlook on defense needed a major overhaul.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Lol, good luck at the obvious awards.

Someone like McDavid or Eichel are generational talents that you usually only land with a top 3 pick and when you pick in the top 3, you pick BPA.

When you usually pick after 15 and the players talents are far more closely matched, I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting need. Sanheim wasn't BPA last year but he was fastest rising and he filled a need even more than a guy like Tuch would have filled. Hextall realized right away that our long-term outlook on defense needed a major overhaul.

I think the Flyers scouts thought Sanheim was the best player at that spot. They think he had the highest upside than the players remaining. I don't know how you can say you don't think he was the BPA when we took him. Flyers have drafted BPA for the longest time.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I think the Flyers scouts thought Sanheim was the best player at that spot. They think he had the highest upside than the players remaining. I don't know how you can say you don't think he was the BPA when we took him. Flyers have drafted BPA for the longest time.

He has the most potential but he only had half a good season. How could he be the best at that time when there were players with more proven track records? Based on potential Sanheim should have been a top 5 pick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

According to public draft rankings they weren't but as we all know NHL teams have much different rankings & it usually shows once you get past the first couple of picks every year.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He has the most potential but he only had half a good season. How could he be the best at that time when their were players with more proven track records?

"Best" is an incredibly vague term, though, when we're talking about 18 year olds.

Lots would argue that having the highest potential makes you the "best".

Others would argue that Sanheim was the BPA (in real terms) at 17 but his talent had been hidden behind situational factors.

There are plenty of ways to skirt the definition of "best" to justify a pick.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
He has the most potential but he only had half a good season. How could he be the best at that time when there were players with more proven track records? Based on potential Sanheim should have been a top 5 pick.

Different players have different development curves. Sanheim started getting serious time on the ice in the second half of the year and people really took notice. I am thinking with the Flyers scouting services they were watching him the whole time. They knew what he was capable of doing and just because like guys like Fluery were putting up more consistent numbers in more minutes doesn't mean the Flyers think he has the most upside. They draft on that. Of course they more than likely take into consideration bust factor, potential if he doesn't reach his max, and other things like that. Flyers obviously thought Sanheim had the best potential from all the players from tracking him all year, not just through his strong second half. If Sanheim played the minutes Fluery or other played during the full season, who knows where he would have been on the draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad