Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, and what's funny to me is how everyone recognized that this team would be a low playoff seed this year, anyway. Does it set the franchise back to make the playoffs as a low seed and get a "mediocre" pick? If not, then it shouldn't set the franchise back to just miss the playoffs and get a "mediocre" pick.

People are losing their heads over this teams future three games into a season that these same fans had already written off before the year started. It's as if watching it live is what made it real. Nobody should be any more or less excited about the future than they were to start the year.

Yup, I'm pretty satisfied with the way the franchise is going regardless of what happens with this year's team. The same scouting staff is still in place & for the most part I am confident in their drafting ability wherever we may pick.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Plus, our best player was drafted late in the 1st and our best goal scorer was a 2nd round pick.

Yeh, you can definitely get good value in the late first, 2nd and 3rd... but it is very advantageous to have higher picks percentage wise. Just look at our lineup:

Lecavalier: 1st
B. Schenn: 5th
Voracek: 7th
Couturier: 8th
Umberger: 16th
Giroux: 22nd
Simmonds: 61st
Jones: 102nd
Rinaldo: 178th
Read: Undrafted
Raffl: Undrafted
Bellemare: Undrafted
Akeson: Undrafted

L. Schenn: 5th
Coburn: 8th
Del Zotto: 20th
Schultz: 33rd
Grossmann: 56th
MacDonald: 160th
Streit: 262nd

Mason: 69th
Emery: 99th

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeh, you can definitely get good value in the late first, 2nd and 3rd... but it is very advantageous to have higher picks percentage wise. Just look at our lineup:

Voracek: 7th
Simmonds: 61st
Jones: 102nd

I rearranged them into a list of most important to least important (in my opinion, and some of them I didn't know where to put them so I said **** it and didn't bother) just to see what the draft positions would look like. The fact that Rinaldo isn't at the bottom really says a lot about what I think of those below him.

Voracek: 7th tied with Simmonds: 61st

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Since the Rangers won the cup in 1994, the Detroit Red Wings are the only team since then that didn't have multiple top 10 picks within 6 drafts prior to their 1st cup victory. Detroit built their dynasty thru being ahead of the curve in drafting Russian and Swedish players but even then the dynasty started with #4 overall Yzerman and #3 overall Primeau in 1990 allowed them to acquire Brendan Shanahan in 1997, the year they won their 1st cup in the 90's.

Not all of those picks were actually roster players on the cup champion. Some like Brayden Schenn were used to acquire pieces to put the team over the top but without Doughty at #2 overall, the kings don't win two cups. Same goes with Toews and Kane in Chicago, Scott Neidermayer in New Jersey, Sakic in Colorado. Colorado used Lindros at #1 overall to acquire a ton of talent that helped win a cup. Anaheim packaged two top 10 drafted players to get Pronger. The one team where it was not led by a top 10 picked player was Boston. Boston flubbed on Zach Hamill and traded Kessel before the cup. Seguin did have an impact in the conference finals but was not a real difference maker the rest of the playoffs.

The point of this is that picking in the top 10 multiple times seems to be one of the things shared by modern Stanley Cup winners before they went on their cup run. It makes a ton of sense since you need elite talent to win a cup. The Flyers could get lucky picking late but the odds are better the higher up you are the draft. Unless you think one of the top 10 picks on this team is an elite difference maker, looking at prior cups winners, the odds says that they will need another top 10 pick or two to get a cup.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Since the Rangers won the cup in 1994, the Detroit Red Wings are the only team since then that didn't have multiple top 10 picks within 6 drafts prior to their 1st cup victory. Detroit built their dynasty thru being ahead of the curve in drafting Russian and Swedish players but even then the dynasty started with #4 overall Yzerman and #3 overall Primeau in 1990 allowed them to acquire Brendan Shanahan in 1997, the year they won their 1st cup in the 90's.

Not all of those picks were actually roster players on the cup champion. Some like Brayden Schenn were used to acquire pieces to put the team over the top but without Doughty at #2 overall, the kings don't win two cups. Same goes with Toews and Kane in Chicago, Scott Neidermayer in New Jersey, Sakic in Colorado. Colorado used Lindros at #1 overall to acquire a ton of talent that helped win a cup. Anaheim packaged two top 10 drafted players to get Pronger. The one team where it was not led by a top 10 picked player was Boston. Boston flubbed on Zach Hamill and traded Kessel before the cup. Seguin did have an impact in the conference finals but was not a real difference maker the rest of the playoffs.

The point of this is that picking in the top 10 multiple times seems to be one of the things shared by modern Stanley Cup winners before they went on their cup run. It makes a ton of sense since you need elite talent to win a cup. The Flyers could get lucky picking late but the odds are better the higher up you are the draft. Unless you think one of the top 10 picks on this team is an elite difference maker, looking at prior cups winners, the odds says that they will need another top 10 pick or two to get a cup.

Again, this is just a lazy analysis. Yeah, Chicago got Toews and Kane in the top five, LA got Doughty, etc. But we have Giroux already, so it's not like we're devoid of elite talent and need the pick to get one. We can still build around Giroux without top ten picks...

As for having "top ten picks" for the sake of having top ten picks, we have Voracek, Schenn, Schenn, Couturier, Lecavalier, and Coburn which I would assume is at or above the average. But this doesn't matter at all (which implies that it doesn't matter how many teams since 1994 have had multiple top ten picks).

The Flyers don't need a lottery ticket. They need a #1 defender. You don't need one to get the other, though I won't deny it helps. I just get frustrated when people suggest that this team is somehow set back if they don't have a top ten pick at the end of the year.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Again, this is just a lazy analysis.

It's not really analysis just pointing to the fact that only the 2008 Detroit red wings weren't bad for a couple of years before they won the cup. People like yourself say you can win a cup without being bad but when only 1 done it since the mid-90's, it doesn't help your point.

So can Giroux play as a number 1 center well into his 30's? Sure but he would be an exception to the rule as the vast majority of forwards decline after 30 years old either because physical skills degrade or injuries occur more often. Can Simmonds and Voracek also beat the trend? Can the defense prospects have a much quicker impact at the NHL before the forwards decline? Sure but most defense prospects take 3-4 years at the NHL level to become impact defenders. Can the Flyers find elite talent outside of the top 10 especially at forward? Sure but its rare. Can the Flyers win a cup without being bad? Sure but only a couple of teams have done it in the past 20 years.

So do the Flyers have to be bad to win a cup? Absolutely not but your betting against the odds on a lot of things breaking just right for the Flyers.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Anaheim won the cup in 2007 when their most important players were free agents (Niedermayer, Selanne, MacDonald, Kunitz) or traded for (Giguere, Pronger). They also had help from from two late first round picks (Getzlaf and Perry).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary

Their only top of the first round pick (Bobby Ryan) was still in the OHL/AHL.

They traded 9th overall Smid and 7th overall Lupul plus 2 1st round picks for Pronger. Top 10 picks and prospects are also currency to get establish star players a team needs. Does Detroit acquire Shanahan without Primeau, picked 3rd overall 6 years earlier.

Here's another problem that makes it hard to do a thorough analysis. The NHL has only been operating with a cap for 9 years. Already you can see a decline in top free agents hitting the market. Getting a Niedermayer or Chara is becoming increasingly rarer. So the opportunity to add top notch free agents still in their prime might not be available to the Flyers going forward. So that puts even more emphasis on acquiring those players in the draft. Niedermeyer and Selanne were top 10 picks.

Also of note, if all drafts had the talent of 2003 where you could get a Getzlaf or Perry late in the 1st round or a Bergeron or Backes in the 2nd let alone Pavelski in the 7th, I would feel a lot better about the Flyers chances of building a cup team without top picks. But those drafts are aberrations.

You can argue against the players picked but you can't argue that the majority of cup winners were bad before they won the cup. Call is a strange coincidence if you want but being bad also has other perks. If Boston didn't decide to blow it up in 2005-2006 and trade Thornton, Bergeron doesn't get a ton of minutes: perhaps they don't turn over their goaltending to a 30 year old journeyman and instead trade for someone to salvage the season. They don't trade Sergei Samsonov to Edmonton for a 2nd rd pick that became Milan Lucic. They also don't have capsoace to sign Chara and Savard in the offseason. Phil Kessel wasn't the only thing that came out of being bad that year for Boston.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I thought Chychrun was 2017?

Nope, born March 31st, 1998.

Ice hockey players born between January 1, 1996, and September 15, 1998, are eligible for selection in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, un-drafted, non-North American players born in 1995 are eligible for the draft; and those players who were drafted in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, but not signed by an NHL team and who were born after June 30, 1996, are also eligible to re-enter the draft.

AFTeRMaTH*

Really hope we get a top 6 pick this year. I know we arent going to win it all this year so we minds well get a guy that can help us contend in a few years.

I LOVE the top 8 or so players in this years draft.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone have an idea which players have a shot of making the NHL next year ?

Tough to say right now but McDavid, Eichel, & Hanifin (the top 3 players in the draft as of now) look like good bets.

We saw 6 players in the 2013 draft play right away & this draft is more comparable with that than 2014 which only has two currently & could possibly be one when all is said & done.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jack Eichel & Auston Matthews (2016) went head to head tonight as BU played the US Development Team in an exhibition both had 2 goals & an assist.

Jeremy Bracco had a goal & 2 assists.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Connor McDavid & Dylan Strome are absolutely torching the OHL right now. McDavid leads the league with 25 points (8g & 17A) in 9 games & Strome is behind him with 23 points (7G & 16A) in 9 games.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah. :laugh:

He's pretty legit though. He grew up & played hockey here in the US but USA Hockey wouldn't allow him to play in the USHL as a 15 year old so he went up to play in Canada & now it looks like he's going to play with Canada internationally.

USA Hockey does some weird things. Yet they let Anthony Deangelo play as a 15 year old, and ironically he may never suit up for the US. Chychrun is a stud. Absolute bomb from the point already. Day may have more natural talent, but he strikes me as a kid who doesn't push himself- the game came too easy for him as a kid.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
They traded 9th overall Smid and 7th overall Lupul plus 2 1st round picks for Pronger. Top 10 picks and prospects are also currency to get establish star players a team needs. Does Detroit acquire Shanahan without Primeau, picked 3rd overall 6 years earlier.

Here's another problem that makes it hard to do a thorough analysis. The NHL has only been operating with a cap for 9 years. Already you can see a decline in top free agents hitting the market. Getting a Niedermayer or Chara is becoming increasingly rarer. So the opportunity to add top notch free agents still in their prime might not be available to the Flyers going forward. So that puts even more emphasis on acquiring those players in the draft. Niedermeyer and Selanne were top 10 picks.

Also of note, if all drafts had the talent of 2003 where you could get a Getzlaf or Perry late in the 1st round or a Bergeron or Backes in the 2nd let alone Pavelski in the 7th, I would feel a lot better about the Flyers chances of building a cup team without top picks. But those drafts are aberrations.

You can argue against the players picked but you can't argue that the majority of cup winners were bad before they won the cup. Call is a strange coincidence if you want but being bad also has other perks. If Boston didn't decide to blow it up in 2005-2006 and trade Thornton, Bergeron doesn't get a ton of minutes: perhaps they don't turn over their goaltending to a 30 year old journeyman and instead trade for someone to salvage the season. They don't trade Sergei Samsonov to Edmonton for a 2nd rd pick that became Milan Lucic. They also don't have capsoace to sign Chara and Savard in the offseason. Phil Kessel wasn't the only thing that came out of being bad that year for Boston.

U bring up some good points, but what i also want to point out is that it's not just high picks, but its also a clear direction from a franchise point of view. Chicago , pittsburgh, and LA took a rebuild approach which allotted them some high picks. But why they were successful and teams like Floirda, and Edm wander in obscurity is because they hit on some picks much like we hit on giroux.

They didn't just get the easy picks right like towes, kane, doughty, crosby and malkin. They got studs in the 2nd round like quick,simmonds, keith,goligoski, letang. Call it luck or good scouting but you have to hit on more than just your first rounders if you plan on ever becoming a great team, and so far edmonton has done a horrible job of that, and florida is yet to be scene.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
USA Hockey does some weird things. Yet they let Anthony Deangelo play as a 15 year old, and ironically he may never suit up for the US. Chychrun is a stud. Absolute bomb from the point already. Day may have more natural talent, but he strikes me as a kid who doesn't push himself- the game came too easy for him as a kid.

Yeah it will still be a big class for the US on top of this year but losing Chychrun & possibly Logan Brown as well will hurt. Their blueline going forward would have been insane with Trouba, Jones, Hanifin, & Chychrun.

It seems like people have really soured on Day since he came onto the scene a few years ago. I often see people question if he has the toolbox to go along with the tools. He might be able to get away with it like Letang though since he is very talented.

So do we draft a forward or defender this year with our first pick?

BPA, only thing I would shy away from is a LHD unless the value is too good to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad