Proposal: Offer Sheet William Nylander

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We aren’t a William Nylander away from being out of the lottery. This could easily end up like Ottawa giving away a sure-fire top four draft pick plus other stuff for Duchene. No thanks.
This. It it were a direct competitor I might think about it once we were out of the lottery. I wouldn't hold up an Eastern Conference team - it would be very unlikely that we would benefit from their future cap problems and it would be more likely that we set off a pissing war with a very rich organization. Pass.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Regarding Matthews, and assuming for argument's sake that he does want to play for the Coyotes, the Leafs would need to do a sign and trade deal. It sometimes happens. It is about the only way the Leafs could justify the loss of Matthews to their rather demanding fans. The Leafs take in a windfall in picks, and do a good deed for Hockey by giving an incredible boost to Arizona hockey at all levels.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Regarding Matthews, and assuming for argument's sake that he does want to play for the Coyotes, the Leafs would need to do a sign and trade deal. It sometimes happens. It is about the only way the Leafs could justify the loss of Matthews to their rather demanding fans. The Leafs take in a windfall in picks, and do a good deed for Hockey by giving an incredible boost to Arizona hockey at all levels.
What does that trade even look like?

Chychrun + Dvorak/Strome/Gally + 1st + 1st + POJ/Capo/Dineen?

Chychrun + Dvorak + Dineen + 1st + 1st + 2nd + 3rd? Does this get it done?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We aren't getting AM and we won't offer sheet Nylander. You guys have to stop dreaming. With our current ownership we will have a hard enough time trying to sign our own playing, none of which will get paid like AM. Not happening.....ever.

Reactions: mallory67

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We aren't getting AM and we won't offer sheet Nylander. You guys have to stop dreaming. With our current ownership we will have a hard enough time trying to sign our own playing, none of which will get paid like AM. Not happening.....ever.
Most likely. Still, I provided what I think is the only way AM comes here. Possible, certainly not probable.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Dreaming is free and Matthews is the only player they can probably justify giving ludicrous money to. He instantly becomes the face of the franchise. Yeah, Toronto probably matches the offer sheet but we could make it so he becomes a FA as soon as possible. Or maybe like in my dream scenario, they miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round and blame it on the American and decide to move him to fix their D.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well in recent history didnt both Weber amd ROR accept the offer sheets but were later matched by theor orgs?
Yes, but they aren't examples of guys who didn't sign offer sheets. As an example many have suggested Lou would try to offer sheet Nylander with the Islanders. Unless that offer is utterly ridiculous would you leave Toronto for wherever they are playing these days?? Now if you didn't sign how would anyone know?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't see matthews going to arizona unless it was in the twilight of his career.

Well in recent history didnt both Weber amd ROR accept the offer sheets but were later matched by theor orgs?
Those days are done. Offer sheets are massively frowned upon by League GM's. Its viewed as predatory. I doubt we ever seen an offer sheet again frankly.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yes, I would sign the offer sheet because I'd fully expect the Leafs to match $500k more anyway.

Yeah, back to this. What if they don't. "Oh, a bunch of excellent picks from Arizona!" I honestly think this would be a big mistake. If the picks you offer with an offer-sheet is more than you would offer in a trade, don't do the offer-sheet.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't see matthews going to arizona unless it was in the twilight of his career.

Yes it is unlikely and mostly a dream scenario for Coyotes fans. The Tavares signing makes it seem a little more realistic. JT is far from being in the twilight of his career and he "took a hometown discount" to sign in Toronto.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Dreger is reporting this morning his sources tell him Nylander isn't moving off his demand of $8 plus million. I'm not sure I want him at that money for either team. Offer sheet would be nuts at the price.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
8m in Toronto is probably less than 7m in Phoenix. :)

7yrs, 50mil? Does that do it given our very friendly tax and and cost of living situations?

Not considering any salary going back, does POJ, Merkley, 2019 2nd, and 2020 1st move the needle?

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017

7yrs, 50mil? Does that do it given our very friendly tax and and cost of living situations?

Not considering any salary going back, does POJ, Merkley, 2019 2nd, and 2020 1st move the needle?

So he signs for 7 mill? , and Toronto says "thank you Arizona, we have tried telling him he isn't worth more for months now." And grabs it.

Then he shouldn't have signed it at all, and his agent probably knows this.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

For nylander?? Probably not. I don't think theres a fair offer there that makes sense for both sides without the two fan bases freaking out on each other. Heres an example...

Chychrun would probably be what the leafs would want in return for Nylander.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yes it is unlikely and mostly a dream scenario for Coyotes fans. The Tavares signing makes it seem a little more realistic. JT is far from being in the twilight of his career and he "took a hometown discount" to sign in Toronto.
Well look at it this way. We get Matthews for 9 more years. End of story. If he wins a cup in toronto, he may want to go to arizona earlier, and at that point he would be 31ish... lots of prime years left.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For nylander?? Probably not. I don't think theres a fair offer there that makes sense for both sides without the two fan bases freaking out on each other. Heres an example...

Chychrun would probably be what the leafs would want in return for Nylander.
I don't see why the Leafs would have interest in Chychrun?? He has proven nothing at this point.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
What does that trade even look like?

Chychrun + Dvorak/Strome/Gally + 1st + 1st + POJ/Capo/Dineen?

Chychrun + Dvorak + Dineen + 1st + 1st + 2nd + 3rd? Does this get it done?

Start with Keller or OEL if you are being realistic...

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Start with Keller or OEL if you are being realistic...

It's Toronto who is in cap-hell, and can't sign him for what he is worth.

All I can take out of this farse, is they should give automatic arb-rights to RFAs who don't have a contract after october 1st. Or something. Now Toronto can ruin the mans career: "oh, we are in cap hell. We can't sign you for what you are worth. And no other team is willing to, cause then they would have to give their next four first-rounders to us. Muhaha. " But everyone knows Toronto would grab a contract he signed if he signed it at a discount to get away.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012

All I can take out of this farse, is they should give automatic arb-rights to RFAs who don't have a contract after october 1st. Or something. Now Toronto can ruin the mans career: "oh, we are in cap hell. We can't sign you for what you are worth. And no other team is willing to, cause then they would have to give their next four first-rounders to us. Muhaha. " But everyone knows Toronto would grab a contract he signed if he signed it at a discount to get away.
The NHLPA and NHL agreement is a rip off for great players on ELC or RFA deals. UFA's have all the power. It is a trade off that rewards UFA's and screws ELC/RFA's. Nylander has zero rights, he can sit and rot, won't help him. The owners might give RFA's more rights in the next deal if they can take away UFA rights. The players vote and the NHL is mostly vets close to or in UFA years, they won't give up those rights to help the Nylanders coming into the NHL.

The Leafs are stacked at C and wingers are easy to get, they need RHD's. From a hockey perspective, they might want to move Nylander for an RHD regardless of his contract demands and if they sign him or not. We don't have an RHD worth anything, so we are out as trade partners.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

What Cap hell are they in and who decides Nylander's worth??

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well look at it this way. We get Matthews for 9 more years. End of story. If he wins a cup in toronto, he may want to go to arizona earlier, and at that point he would be 31ish... lots of prime years left.
Isnt the first path to UFA status 7 years of playing? That could make Matthews a UFA at 26 years old could it not? Yes, that is unlikely but if he signs a 5 year deal next contract that would take him to ufa.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
What Cap hell are they in and who decides Nylander's worth??

Yeah, you know what I mean. This is the only year they have before all those ELCs mature into RFA-contracts. There is no way they can avoid their destiny. Here, the league gives them tons of players, and makes everything to ensure the player has to stay with the team... and then Tavares signs for 11 mill. (What was the Islanders thinking at the last deadline? What did he say to them? Imagine if they at least could have gotten a young forward instead. Nylander or something...)

Call it Tavares-hell, then if you like. But I am certain you know Toronto is entering cap-hell, and that that is an issue.

What decided Nylanders worth? Try a a free market? Oh, right, he can't offer himself on a free market.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Isnt the first path to UFA status 7 years of playing? That could make Matthews a UFA at 26 years old could it not? Yes, that is unlikely but if he signs a 5 year deal next contract that would take him to ufa.
Hi Ducky,
He would want to get that 8th year of security. Hockey players always choose certainty and term over the Potential of a better payout. You're right... I'm just saying its extremely unlikely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad