Proposal: Offer Sheet William Nylander

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I’d do it as I would expect Leafs to match. My intent would be to make it impossible to resign Mathews who I would offer the max allowable under CBA. The value of the franchise would double overnight which would more than pay for the contract.

You offer Matthews the max on a four -year deal because the Leafs will match. Then in four-years, he is an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2023.

You make these offers knowing they probably get matched. This is all maneuvering, and putting the screws to another team. Make them make difficult decisions and not easy ones and see what they screw up.

Reactions: Mosby and hbk

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
We aren’t a William Nylander away from being out of the lottery. This could easily end up like Ottawa giving away a sure-fire top four draft pick plus other stuff for Duchene. No thanks.

I personally think you're already out of the lottery this season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You really think the Leafs keep Nylander and let Matthews walk? Seriously that's just silly talk.
I would make it as difficult as possible.

8 years at the max. It destroys their salary structure completely.

In terms of cap hit coming off the books:
2.8 Panik
5.5 Bolland
1 Cousins
1.4 Smith
1.9 Ribeiro

We also currently have 10 M is cap space today so even with Dvorak’s deal and raises for Perlini and Chychrun we would still be able to offer in excess of $15M very easily.

I know it’s not realistic but neither is me being an nhl Gm. I would do everything in my power to offer sheet Mathews regardless of consequences. I’m not above raising the price on Nylander first to make it even tougher on TORONTO.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You offer Matthews the max on a four -year deal because the Leafs will match. Then in four-years, he is an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2023.

You make these offers knowing they probably get matched. This is all maneuvering, and putting the screws to another team. Make them make difficult decisions and not easy ones and see what they screw up.
That one could make it interesting but too many variables to have any idea of success. Does Matthews actually want to play in AZ? What value does he put on winning? Can he earn more elsewhere with endorsements?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That one could make it interesting but too many variables to have any idea of success. Does Matthews actually want to play in AZ? What value does he put on winning? Can he earn more elsewhere with endorsements?
There is some fire to the smoke about he and Babcock not getting along.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would make it as difficult as possible.

8 years at the max. It destroys their salary structure completely.

In terms of cap hit coming off the books:
2.8 Panik
5.5 Bolland
1 Cousins
1.4 Smith
1.9 Ribeiro

We also currently have 10 M is cap space today so even with Dvorak’s deal and raises for Perlini and Chychrun we would still be able to offer in excess of $15M very easily.

I know it’s not realistic but neither is me being an nhl Gm. I would do everything in my power to offer sheet Mathews regardless of consequences. I’m not above raising the price on Nylander first to make it even tougher on TORONTO.
You have to replace the guys going off the Cap and Keller is the year after. What pitch will you give Matthews except you can live home?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You have to replace the guys going off the Cap and Keller is the year after. What pitch will you give Matthews except you can live home?
Max term and cash. All guaranteed. Live at home in Arizona.

That’s pretty good.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Definitely, I have written it many times. But Matthews isn't leaving Toronto via offer sheet.
I expect TORONTO to match. I also believe that this would be worth pursuing. If nothing else u put the screws to Toronto and their ability to retain their core and compete for a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Lilhoody and _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not about guaranteeing anything. It's about putting yourself into a position to possibly get him in free agency way faster than otherwise -- and simultaneously making Toronto's task of filling out supporting rosters more difficult with inflated contract to Nylander. It makes Toronto make hard decisions about who they are keeping and who they are not, and you possibly reap one of the buy-low moves, also.

Reactions: hbk

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I expect TORONTO to match. I also believe that this would be worth pursuing. If nothing else u put the screws to Toronto and their ability to retain their core and compete for a Stanley Cup.
Why would AZ care about the Leafs? If it's not to get the player I highly doubt you will be seeing an offer sheet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Max term and cash. All guaranteed. Live at home in Arizona.

That’s pretty good.
Toronto matches max term. Then he's theirs for the max term. Just get him to UFA status. Then if he wants out, you weakened Toronto early. And if he wants home, you just opened that door three years early.

Reactions: hbk

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not about guaranteeing anything. It's about putting yourself into a position to possibly get him in free agency way faster than otherwise -- and simultaneously making Toronto's task of filling out supporting rosters more difficult with inflated contract to Nylander. It makes Toronto make hard decisions about who they are keeping and who they are not, and you possibly reap one of the buy-low moves, also.
But does Matthews want to play in AZ without also having concerns? That's the bigger question. We have watched players for years avoid going home to Toronto as ultimately they want to win, I doubt Matthews just wants to play in the NHL. We still have serious issues in the Franchise.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Mathews won't sign it, why would he? He can get more term and money from the Leafs. Unless he hates it there wants out, and will take way less money to do it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Let's say it's a max offer and the Leafs let him walk(highly unlikely), how exactly does AZ ever get to contender status with almost no players at the highest level and no high end draft picks for years to come?

Reactions: ck26

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He gets more money on a eight-year Leaf's extension at next year's max than he would with a four-year deal on next year's max followed by a 25 yr old free agency deal at the max in five years? Is the cap going down? Glad you're not my agent.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He gets more money on a eight-year Leaf's extension at next year's max than he would with a four-year deal on next year's max followed by a 25 yr old free agency deal at the max in five years? Is the cap going down? Glad you're not my agent.
Would you take 8 years at $12 million guaranteed or your offer and hope you never get injured ruining your next contract? And don't forget endorsements.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
But does Matthews want to play in AZ without also having concerns? That's the bigger question. We have watched players for years avoid going home to Toronto as ultimately they want to win, I doubt Matthews just wants to play in the NHL. We still have serious issues in the Franchise.
Honestly, it doesn't matter if he wants to stay or go. An offer sheet is win-win from AZ. Toronto is lose-lose. Your best shot, win or lose, is getting him to UFA status. If he goes elsewhere after, that's too bad, but you lost nothing, and you help narrow Toronto's window. You take your best shot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Honestly, it doesn't matter if he wants to stay or go. An offer sheet is win-win from AZ. Toronto is lose-lose. Your best shot, win or lose, is getting him to UFA status. If he goes elsewhere after, that's too bad, but you lost nothing, and you help narrow Toronto's window. You take your best shot.
But why do the Coyote's care about Toronto's window?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Would you take 8 years at $12 million guaranteed or your offer and hope you never get injured ruining your next contract? And don't forget endorsements.
At 21, which he will be at signing time? I take the path with the same return for four years, and the bigger guaranteed eight-year deal when I'm 25.

If he was older, take the security contract, but he's basically guaranteed a max-value contract in five-years.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
But why do the Coyote's care about Toronto's window?

That's obviously the secondary concern, so you have to troll your way past the main point, but I already answered : they have to make tougher decisions and cap -squeeze moves and you hope you can benefit from one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad