Proposal: Offer Sheet William Nylander

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You suspect correctly. He's always been the complementary type player for us.
Varano, what is a reasonable/acceptable return IF the Leafs choose to trade him? The equivalent of an offer sheet? A 1st a 2nd and a 3rd? Would Perlini and PO Joseph be of interest?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Varano, what is a reasonable/acceptable return IF the Leafs choose to trade him? The equivalent of an offer sheet? A 1st a 2nd and a 3rd? Would Perlini and PO Joseph be of interest?
Leafs focus would have to be blueline. They are built to win now. So picks and long-term prospects are not as appealing as someone who can fill a 2/3 20-25 min/night D with term/control of 4-5 years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Leafs focus would have to be blueline. They are built to win now. So picks and long-term prospects are not as appealing as someone who can fill a 2/3 20-25 min/night D with term/control of 4-5 years.
That is what I think too. Dont see the Coyotes have the right pieces (available) to help TML. None of OEL, Hjalmarsson nor Chychrun should be available and I doubt they have interest in Goligoski or Demers.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That is what I think too. Dont see the Coyotes have the right pieces (available) to help TML. None of OEL, Hjalmarsson nor Chychrun should be available and I doubt they have interest in Goligoski or Demers.
If the Coyotes wouldn't offer up Chychrun for Nylander Chyka shoukd be fired on the spot. The Leafs woukd not accept that trade.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If the Coyotes wouldn't offer up Chychrun for Nylander Chyka shoukd be fired on the spot. The Leafs woukd not accept that trade.
Sure if it were 1 for 1 but I was looking at the offer of Perlini + POJ + ... and Chychruns' name was added.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It would have to be a top 4 d around 24 years old or so

varano

Jun 27, 2013
What do you think the Coyotes have to add to Chychrun to land Nylander? There would have to be some condition on Nylander signing.
There isn't really a player that makes sense on the Arizona roster.

Toronto only needs defence. No forwards no goalies and no picks. It's a difficult trade to make by saying chychrun and what else unfortunately.

I like chychruns upside personally but the leafs are in a win now mode so they need an equivalent of Nylander. (Young player with upside...but a defencemen)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would think that the main focus of the Leafs would be draft picks due to their manageable entry level contracts.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There isn't really a player that makes sense on the Arizona roster.

Toronto only needs defence. No forwards no goalies and no picks. It's a difficult trade to make by saying chychrun and what else unfortunately.

I like chychruns upside personally but the leafs are in a win now mode so they need an equivalent of Nylander. (Young player with upside...but a defencemen)
If you’re trading Nylander, doesn’t that mean it makes sense to add a forward to help replace what you’re losing? You added Tavares but lost JvR. I would think if Nylander goes, Toronto would want to add a winger.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I love Chychrun, but I’d trade him for Nylander. I seriously doubt we could trade an ELC for Nylander, and fit that in the budget. I’d expect it would take 7yrs, 50mil or more to get Nylander signed here. And we don’t have any bad contracts to throw in. Any salary represents value.

We’re too broke to put together a deal for Nylander that works for all sides.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Trouble with trading Chychrun is the rest of the D are on the older side. You really have to believe POJ and Capobianco can be legit NHL defense in the next 2 years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So imagine Chayka trades Perlini and Chychrun for a signed Nylander (would the Coyotes even pay 7 x 7 million???).

What is the lineup when healthy?

Keller - Stepan - Nylander
Dvorak - Galchenyuk - Hinostroza
Panik - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Richardson - Grabner

OEL - Demers
Oesterle - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Lybushkin
Connauton

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So imagine Chayka trades Perlini and Chychrun for a signed Nylander (would the Coyotes even pay 7 x 7 million???).

What is the lineup when healthy?

Keller - Stepan - Nylander
Dvorak - Galchenyuk - Hinostroza
Panik - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Richardson - Grabner

OEL - Demers
Oesterle - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Lybushkin
Connauton
7 by 7 is too much for a winger unless he is 80 point+ and solid in all 3 zones. Nylander is not there yet. Wingers are the least valuable by position.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Ehlers signed $6x7 - exact same draft pedigree, development line and point output. I think Ehlers is underpaid and that Nylander could get UP TO $7x7.

For that contract I'd trade Dick and Chych but I'd hesitate to let go of Perlini.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ehlers signed $6x7 - exact same draft pedigree, development line and point output. I think Ehlers is underpaid and that Nylander could get UP TO $7x7.

For that contract I'd trade Dick and Chych but I'd hesitate to let go of Perlini.
Paying wingers is when you make cap mistakes. In my opinion, over time, you will see average salaries for top line wingers go down versus 1C/2C, and top pairing D. Even at 6 mill, I would hesitate to pay Nylander. It might just be me and the way I look at wingers.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Paying wingers is when you make cap mistakes. In my opinion, over time, you will see average salaries for top line wingers go down versus 1C/2C, and top pairing D. Even at 6 mill, I would hesitate to pay Nylander. It might just be me and the way I look at wingers.
I think in general you are 100% correct, 7x7 for a 29 year old winger is either a horrible mistake or you're signing the last piece you need to win the Cup. This kid is 22, a Calder nominee, and about as proven as you can be at his age so 7x7 is more reasonable but still maybe a bit much.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think in general you are 100% correct, 7x7 for a 29 year old winger is either a horrible mistake or you're signing the last piece you need to win the Cup. This kid is 22, a Calder nominee, and about as proven as you can be at his age so 7x7 is more reasonable but still maybe a bit much.
Isn't this as much about Matthews and Marner, as it is Nylander?

If Nylander played for the Islanders, Sens, even the Coyotes....he's already signed to a 7x7+ type deal. Recent Comps = Evander Kane, JVR. UFA deals, but Toronto has a chance to buy Nylander out of UFA years.

Toronto needs to pay Matthews who should land between $11-12M AAV and Marner $8-$9M. Where does that leave Nylander? $6M AAV?

Dubas has ranges for all 3 players...obviously he'll move on Matthews if necessary and likely Marner as well....but that leaves little/no room to move on Nylander.

So let's get him here in AZ. What's the cost? Chychrun, Perlini and 2019 2nd?

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like him as a player but he will get RFA money not UFA money. A 29 year old is close or actually a UFA, he will have more leverage to get a better contract. Nylander is just a wing, isn't proven enough, not a superstar C like Mathews/Mcdavid, and not a UFA. No need for anyone to pay that kind of money. Even if he were with another team he wouldn't get 7/7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad