Proposal: Offer Sheet William Nylander

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's obviously the secondary concern, so you have to troll your way past the main point, but I already answered : they have to make tougher decisions and cap -squeeze moves and you hope you can benefit from one.
I get your theory, it's a good plan if the goal is to get Matthews. I just don't believe they other reason you post

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Brilliant.

Yes, I know what that means.
I can definitely see being better than 7-8 teams in the NHL. I can’t believe we could be better than 7-8 teams in our Conference. That would be awesome, but I’d be absolutely shocked. I feel like so many different things would have to align perfectly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Endorsements in hockey are really nothing, especially compared to the other sports.
I would bet the super stars in the big markets make more on endorsements than salary, and AM is super star status.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I really don't think so. A lot of guys have gear endorsements, but beyond that? I can't name many.

Crosby has Sportchek (Canada only), Gatorade, and Dempster's. Some of those may not be current anymore. But I can't really think of any non-gear endorsements.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I really don't think so. A lot of guys have gear endorsements, but beyond that? I can't name many.

Crosby has Sportchek (Canada only), Gatorade, and Dempster's. Some of those may not be current anymore. But I can't really think of any non-gear endorsements.
Nylander has Reebok as I said earlier. Matthews has Scotiabank deal worth millions. Part of the pitch to Stamkos a few years back was from the corporate world on how much they would like to pay him. Most of that money is now Matthew's. Read a piece a while back estimating at least $3 million a year for Matthews if he wants it.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
?
the_magical_costume__foghorn_leghorn_tf__by_sharpe_fan-dadbg9h.png

Ohhhhh, okay...
Hey that happens. at least i am honest. ;D

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Offer sheeting someone with the hope of getting matched must be the worst plan ever.

With the difference in value of high picks and low picks, I'd say offer-sheeting should only be done by sure-fire high play-off teams, like Tampa or Washington.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not even a hope that they match-- I'd be thrilled to add a 22 year old, right -handed C/RW who has scored sixty points twice. Who wouldn't be? Even for the cost of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd at 7.3M x5.

I just think they'd match. And you know they'd match Matthews, but would also pay the five firsts if they didn't.

It's Cokes and smiles either way for me.

ETA: just for fun,

Keller-Galchenyuk- Fischer
Perlini-Stepan- Nylander
Grabner--Dvo-Vinny
Crouse/Cousins-Strome-Panik
Richardson

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not even a hope that they match-- I'd be thrilled to add a 22 year old, right -handed C/RW who has scored sixty points twice. Who wouldn't be? Even for the cost of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd at 7.3M x5.

I just think they'd match. And you know they'd match Matthews, but would also pay the five firsts if they didn't.

It's Cokes and smiles either way for me.

ETA: just for fun,

Keller-Galchenyuk- Fischer
Perlini-Stepan- Nylander
Grabner--Dvo-Vinny
Crouse/Cousins-Strome-Panik
Richardson
That lineup might be a little rich for our Owner's pocket??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If you were Nylander would you sign an AZ offer for $500K more than a Toronto offer where you ride shotgun with Matthew's?? I'm not sure I would.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, I would sign the offer sheet because I'd fully expect the Leafs to match $500k more anyway.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes, I would sign the offer sheet because I'd fully expect the Leafs to match $500k more anyway.
I wouldn't take that risk to trade Matthews for Stepan, your next contract could be a lot less because of that move.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
It seems you are the guy with a 10 point plan where the poor team uses offer sheets to cripple a rich team with the end game of getting the superstar. I'm just putting a little reality into your dream. Players don't just say yes because you put an offer to them, they still consider all the same variables they would if they were UFA.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Or live in Vegas, which is like Arizona, except free of state tax and fun.
Does Vegas have the cap space? I mean Tampa also has no state tax. Should we bring them up as well for no reason? How about Dallas? I mean honestly let’s talk about the viability of all the teams.

I think the point is that Matthews agent knows what his playing in AZ would do to the value of this franchise. We are assuming they would be interested based on this being his home town. It’s a big assumption but yeah no state tax. How about it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It seems you are the guy with a 10 point plan where the poor team uses offer sheets to cripple a rich team with the end game of getting the superstar. I'm just putting a little reality into your dream. Players don't just say yes because you put an offer to them, they still consider all the same variables they would if they were UFA.

You keep coming up with a zillion reasons we won't get Matthews.

Well, no shit.

I just said if people want a shot at Matthews, that is our best chance.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You keep coming up with a zillion reasons we won't get Matthews.

Well, no ****.

I just said if people want a shot at Matthews, that is our best chance.
Not really, I have said many times I see an issue with Matthews and Toronto, I could be misreading. I will however stick to what I tell you every single time, you are not getting Matthews via offer sheet. Further to that the Coyotes are definitely not a team that should be leading the charge to increase salaries as we have little money. We have our own prospects to sign and really shouldn't give their agent's ammo.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Does Vegas have the cap space? I mean Tampa also has no state tax. Should we bring them up as well for no reason? How about Dallas? I mean honestly let’s talk about the viability of all the teams.

I think the point is that Matthews agent knows what his playing in AZ would do to the value of this franchise. We are assuming they would be interested based on this being his home town. It’s a big assumption but yeah no state tax. How about it.

The tax thing was a joke, but you shouldn't rule Vegas out. cap space will be opening up.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I'd fully support the offer sheet. Nothing to lose really. I agree it helps our chances at one day getting Matthews (debatable by how much). You either force Toronto to have a harder go, or you get a early 20 year old 60 point Winger for a few picks. We don't win lotteries, so we're likely just giving up next years Hayton at worst.

I'm honestly shocked no teams have offer sheeted him yet, doesn't have to be us. There should be 30 other teams looking to make life harder for the Leafs over the next couple years.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

When have they said no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->