Proposal: Offer Sheet William Nylander

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Would you give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder for William Nylander right now? I look at our RW depth and it’s not horrible, but there’s some room for improvement to say the least.

RFAs have a storied history of being criminally underpaid because they rank only slightly above indentured servants in terms of worker rights. Nylander’s closest comparable is David Pastrnak, both are RW with almost identical hard and soft stats, so the 6 year $6.66 million AAV contract signed last year seems like the low end for Nylander’s camp since the salary cap went up this year and the Leafs are probably low balling well under that.

Should the Coyotes put in an offer sheet for $7-7.25+ for 6-8 years and see what happens? As long as the contract doesn't go over $8.1 million we'd only have to give up the 3 draft picks and Nylander's addition makes the team better and lowers the value of the picks. I realize Barroway wants to run things lean for now so that’s a hindrance, and I think we’d have to drop a contract somewhere since we’re at 50.

I think the Leafs would match anyway but in the end that would to force the Leafs to pay people not named Matthews now so they have to really low ball him later and he ends up pulling a John Tavares and coming home to play in Arizona. So there’s my evil plan to win the Cup.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd do it because I think they match, and it would soak up the extra money for when their real decision day comes and the kids are leaving their ELC's and they have only a couple dmen under contract.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know how any of Nylander, Matthews, or Marner contracts are going to play out but all 3 have been signing some endorsement deals. The latest was announced today with Nylander signing with Reebok. Now I'm not on the inside but I would highly doubt Reebok has signed this deal with Nylander the Coyote but rather with Nylander the Leaf as the exposure is significantly more. IMO playing for the Leafs at a million a year less probably still makes either more money.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Except Matt Duchene had a single year under contract and is 27.
Nylander would be under contract, is only 22, and has two seasons of 60+ play already so is likely as good or better than who is available at our pick. Makes a big difference.

Regardless, I think you do it mostly to put them on the spot. I don't think the goal would be William Nylander.

Reactions: Mosby

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Chances are that we could end up drafting a player with Nylander's upside/numbers with our first round draft pick that we'd have to fork over. Imagine that, let alone giving up an additional 2nd, 3rd round picks. No thanks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chances are that we could end up drafting a player with Nylander's upside/numbers with our first round draft pick that we'd have to fork over. Imagine that, let alone giving up an additional 2nd, 3rd round picks. No thanks.
Depends on the draft. I’d probably have traded 3rd overall in 2018 for him. 2019 looks a lot better. But really it’s the lottery I’m scared of in this situation. You can’t put conditions on offer sheet compensation. I’d trade a conditional 1st, (lottery protection has it slide a year if it wins pick one, two or three), and unconditional 2nd and 3rd for him, certainly.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Doubt our broke owner can afford it but I'd be saving up for a max offer to Matthews. He makes this team money on and off the ice so as far as over-paying and offer sheets go, I think Matthews checks all the boxes. Not sure if Nylander does. Would love to have him but I don't think all the drama and ill will an offer sheet comes with is worth it for him, especially since Toronto almost certainly matches any amount we'd be bold enough to offer for him.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
No thanks. Let the leafs pay him over eight million. Marner will want an even bigger contract. Then the Leafs have 40 million on four guys playing with scrubs that never win a championship and we keep building. They will become Edmonton with that type of cap management.

Reactions: ck26

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
$7-7.25+ for 6-8 years is actually 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I believe you've misread that info, anything between $6,088,981 - $8,118,641 AAV is a 1, 2, and 3.

I think there's a lot of people who over value draft picks. Don't get me wrong, they are absolutely essential to (re)building due to their immense value, but at the end of the day there is so much chance involved. Not only does the lottery have to go your way to get a high pick, you still have to draft a player using a process that everybody seems to consider mostly a crapshoot.

Nylander is a 22 year old sure fire top 6 (at worst) that we could have under control for 6+ years and you win Cups with cost controlled young talent. I think you have to start looking at offer sheets considering how consistently underpaid RFAs are at the moment, especially knowing Toronto would most likely match anything we would reasonably offer.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I believe you've misread that info, anything between $6,088,981 - $8,118,641 AAV is a 1, 2, and 3.

I think there's a lot of people who over value draft picks. Don't get me wrong, they are absolutely essential to (re)building due to their immense value, but at the end of the day there is so much chance involved. Not only does the lottery have to go your way to get a high pick, you still have to draft a player using a process that everybody seems to consider mostly a crapshoot.

Nylander is a 22 year old sure fire top 6 (at worst) that we could have under control for 6+ years and you win Cups with cost controlled young talent. I think you have to start looking at offer sheets considering how consistently underpaid RFAs are at the moment, especially knowing Toronto would most likely match anything we would reasonably offer.

When looking at our team, we have a lot of young players that can rock. So in my opinion we can trade for nylander. He would help us get at least into the playoffs.

PS: i am a little bit drunk, thanks to Löwenbräu Oktoberfest Bier :D
German beer is the best :laugh:

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The term is capped in the equation. So after five year's, you are pushing up the comp computing AAV on only five years.

I sure wish folks could learn about RFA compensation. If they did, they might appreciate why there are so few offer sheets.

A five year contract at 8m would just be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The Leafs sure would be be in dilemma to match or not.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

I'm not sure Nylander over $7 million a year really qualifies as cost controlled.

Reactions: ck26

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’d do it as I would expect Leafs to match. My intent would be to make it impossible to resign Mathews who I would offer the max allowable under CBA. The value of the franchise would double overnight which would more than pay for the contract.

Reactions: Mosby

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I’d do it as I would expect Leafs to match. My intent would be to make it impossible to resign Mathews who I would offer the max allowable under CBA. The value of the franchise would double overnight which would more than pay for the contract.
I would highly doubt there is any offer that can be made for Matthews that will not be matched.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
When looking at our rooster....
?
the_magical_costume__foghorn_leghorn_tf__by_sharpe_fan-dadbg9h.png

PS: i am a little bit drunk, thanks to Löwenbräu Oktoberfest Bier :D GErman beer is the best :laugh:
Ohhhhh, okay...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know where you are coming from, but everyone is forgetting about the player and what kind of money he can make off ice. In TO, and another few original six teams, AM will probably make more from endorsements than salary. He won't be able to do that in Arizona. AM will never be in Arizona except to visit.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would highly doubt there is any offer that can be made for Matthews that will not be matched.
If they pay up for Nylander and Mariner they would be hard pressed to match Mathews at the max value. ROR is wanting to sign him for less than McDavid. Mathews agent has to know what his client would be worth to his home town.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For those who say Toronto has Cap issues with everyone signed and then suggest AZ offer sheet Matthews with a max contract , how do you think that will result in AZ being able to ice a contending team? We aren't exactly flush with Cap space after adding a max deal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If they pay up for Nylander and Mariner they would be hard pressed to match Mathews at the max value. ROR is wanting to sign him for less than McDavid. Mathews agent has to know what his client would be worth to his home town.
You really think the Leafs keep Nylander and let Matthews walk? Seriously that's just silly talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad