Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No they can't.

Because he wanted to play at home and he liked the position the team was in. It has nothing to do with the "depth of their pockets" which, as I said, is largely irrelevant.
He liked the position the team was in? What position is that? The one where your chances of winning a cup are really good? Why would a player want to win a cup? Pride,integrity,etc.maybe? I thought you were saying it was only about money!
Corporate sponsorship may not be part of the negotiations publicly. But it is not as if it doesn't exist! High profile athletes can do very well regards to corporate sponsorship,to brush this off as irrelevant is naive! Sure it's not part of the cap structure,but it is reality! Tavares will be a valuable marketing tool for several corporate entities in Toronto,likely more than Long Island. The fact that he is a home-boy makes that even more likely! He took less money here because he wants to win! Hey,believe what you like!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
No they can't.

Of course they can, ex Leafs can live off of being Leafs if they do anything remotely noteworthy for a long time.

Some cities will boost a players profile and sponsorship deals more than others, now I don’t think that makes him sign for less money but you can’t pretend that certain markets aren’t move valuable than others.

A commercial with a hockey player in Toronto will will be a lot more than a commercial in Florida. Not a slight to Florida just Toronto is a much bigger market for hockey.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Toronto's Matthews-Tavares-Kadri isn't comparable to that at all. Toronto actually has depth around those 3, the Oilers have nothing but 3rd and 4th liners around those 3. Nice try though!

The reason why it didn't work for Edmonton wasn't because of forward depth, it was too much forward and not enough defence. Toronto is in the exact same boat. Can Tavares play defense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nylander would never sign an offersheet with anyone.
C'mon, Nylander may like playing for the Leafs but I have little doubt that if another team offered him substantially more than the Leafs did he would likely take the offer. Most players would do the same in his circumstances.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Of course they can, ex Leafs can live off of being Leafs if they do anything remotely noteworthy for a long time.

Some cities will boost a players profile and sponsorship deals more than others, now I don’t think that makes him sign for less money but you can’t pretend that certain markets aren’t move valuable than others.

A commercial with a hockey player in Toronto will will be a lot more than a commercial in Florida. Not a slight to Florida just Toronto is a much bigger market for hockey.

Yes, who could forget that slew of commercials and endorsements that Mats Sundin did or how Doug Gilmour was rolling in the big milk sponsorship dollars.

John Tavares already has a significant endorsement deal with CCM. Any world class player gets that kind of deal, regardless of their market.

If you're a second or a third tier player, like a Tie Domi type, you can certainly squeeze out endorsement money that you wouldn't get in any other market outside of Montreal, but elite athletes will get their endorsement money regardless of where they are. Will Tavares have more opportunities here, sure, but I highly doubt you'll see him doing cheesy car dealership spots or the kind of things the lower tier guys would do anyway.

Tavares choose Toronto for several reasons I'm sure, but I doubt endorsements - something he doesn't like to do
"I don’t think that’s really my personality, doing commercials or shoots like this every day. It’s just not typical" - played a factor in it at all.

If this really was a big alluring factor in the Toronto market, how come they've never landed a significant free agent until now?

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
The reason why it didn't work for Edmonton wasn't because of forward depth, it was too much forward and not enough defence. Toronto is in the exact same boat. Can Tavares play defense?
When you have 2 players scoring above 50 points (3 above 35) that doesn't really sound like too much forward depth :/

Reactions: Brock Radunske

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
When you have 2 players scoring above 50 points (3 above 35) that doesn't really sound like too much forward depth :/

I didn't say oilers had depth. They have no problems scoring except they don't have PMD or a pp qb. Oilers offensive problems last year were due to a deficient D corps. It wouldn't surprise me if Leafs suffer the same fate this year

Reactions: Snowman

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
I didn't say oilers had depth. They have no problems scoring except they don't have PMD or a pp qb. Oilers offensive problems last year were due to a deficient D corps. It wouldn't surprise me if Leafs suffer the same fate this year
12th last in goals per game doesn't sound like they have no problems scoring.

Even in the year they were good their defencemen never reached a level of scoring that the Leafs' defencemen have. If you want to say that the Leafs defence might be negatively affected because of their defencement, then you very well may be right, but to say the Leafs' offence might struggle because of their defencement not being good enough doesn't really sound right.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At team can offer 7.5m and compensate with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Young, developing teams that should make such an offer?
Vancouver, NJ, NYI, Columbus Carolina, Detroit.
Of those six teams, half of them don't have the necessary picks - Columbus doesn't have their 2nd, NJ is missing their 3rd, and NYI is missing both the 2nd and 3rd. And of the three remaining, two are at serious risk of giving up lottery-winning picks - Vancouver and Detroit - and Nylander arguably isn't worth that risk. So you're basically down to whether or not Carolina wants to do something provocative w/r/t picking up a winger and/or believes in Nylander's ability at center enough to risk that play.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It amazes me that people are so desperate to give the Leafs more 1st round picks, especially with a lot of the supposed offer sheet teams being awful (like the Sabres and Islanders), just to be able to draft 2-4 more Marner, Nylander, Rielly type players to add to their team on an ELC over the next few years. Are you Leafs fans in disguise or something? they might be in cap trouble in future and you want to help them stack their team even more at a cheaper price just to say you took a player from them? and ruin your GM's reputation in the process? bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: CujosMask and pawn

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Bozak signed for $5 million x 3 in St.L. If the Leafs had kept him rather than signing Tavares that would leave $6 million which usually buys a dang good defenseman to bolster their makeshift blueline. That's without weakening the center depth they had last season at all.

Name names.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yes, who could forget that slew of commercials and endorsements that Mats Sundin did or how Doug Gilmour was rolling in the big milk sponsorship dollars.

John Tavares already has a significant endorsement deal with CCM. Any world class player gets that kind of deal, regardless of their market.

If you're a second or a third tier player, like a Tie Domi type, you can certainly squeeze out endorsement money that you wouldn't get in any other market outside of Montreal, but elite athletes will get their endorsement money regardless of where they are. Will Tavares have more opportunities here, sure, but I highly doubt you'll see him doing cheesy car dealership spots or the kind of things the lower tier guys would do anyway.

Tavares choose Toronto for several reasons I'm sure, but I doubt endorsements - something he doesn't like to do
"I don’t think that’s really my personality, doing commercials or shoots like this every day. It’s just not typical" - played a factor in it at all.

If this really was a big alluring factor in the Toronto market, how come they've never landed a significant free agent until now?

I don't think endorsement make up for not having a good team. They can definitely be a little extra bonus though. The thing about markets like Toronto and Montreal is you can still make decent endorsement money after you've retired.

Should Tavares win a cup he could live off that achievement alone forever in Toronto.

Reactions: Mork

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Should Tavares win a cup he could live off that achievement alone forever in Toronto.

While that is very likely true, i think its kind of silly to think that would even be a consideration to a free agent while they are weighing contract offers.

Tavares signed in Toronto because he wanted to play here and he thought he could win here. To pretend that he picked Toronto for endorsements (which he personally doesn't even like doing by his own admission) seems kind of silly. This is the same nonsense some fans were trumpeting when Stamkos was a free agent. They claimed he was going to come here because he was going to get rich off of endorsements despite the fact that he already had several lucrative endorsement deals.

The reality is, for a hockey player, even in Canada, there's a very small pool of big fish endorsements. Beyond the hockey companies, you have Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's and a handful of other big Canadian companies that want to partner with a hockey player. It's not really a big factor and it turns out if you are a big player, it really doesn't matter what market you are in, you get those deals anyway.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
While that is very likely true, i think its kind of silly to think that would even be a consideration to a free agent while they are weighing contract offers.

Tavares signed in Toronto because he wanted to play here and he thought he could win here. To pretend that he picked Toronto for endorsements (which he personally doesn't even like doing by his own admission) seems kind of silly. This is the same nonsense some fans were trumpeting when Stamkos was a free agent. They claimed he was going to come here because he was going to get rich off of endorsements despite the fact that he already had several lucrative endorsement deals.

The reality is, for a hockey player, even in Canada, there's a very small pool of big fish endorsements. Beyond the hockey companies, you have Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's and a handful of other big Canadian companies that want to partner with a hockey player. It's not really a big factor and it turns out if you are a big player, it really doesn't matter what market you are in, you get those deals anyway.

I'm not saying it's a major factor, I'm just saying that to pretend that certain markets don't offer better endorsement deals isn't true. It's also not just about endorsements today but about what you can get in the future once you're no longer playing.

I do agree with bigger stars this issue becomes more moot however.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Of those six teams, half of them don't have the necessary picks - Columbus doesn't have their 2nd, NJ is missing their 3rd, and NYI is missing both the 2nd and 3rd. And of the three remaining, two are at serious risk of giving up lottery-winning picks - Vancouver and Detroit - and Nylander arguably isn't worth that risk. So you're basically down to whether or not Carolina wants to do something provocative w/r/t picking up a winger and/or believes in Nylander's ability at center enough to risk that play.

I didn't research the picks because I knew some wise guy would do it for me. Thanks.
In order of likelihood, I'd say Carolina, the Detroit. Vancouver is tanking for lottery picks so it won't be them.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The funny thing is, it LITERALLY stops there for Edm, while Toronto keeps going with Marner, Nylander, etc.

Last year was dreadful, so u can't assign that as the expected.
I expect Strome, Lucic and Puljujarvi all to be over 50 points this year. That's 6 players.
For the Leafs, I expect 5 over 50. Both Reilly and Gardiner will not repeat those career seasons.
Actually, with Kadri getting pushed down it'll be 4 Leafs over 50 points: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
biggest thing for me is Anderson >>>> Talbot

Last year yes. Year before no. Overall no. Talbot has a 4th and 7th place vezina finish. Anderson only has one year.
You have a very short memory

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Last year yes. Year before no. Overall no. Talbot has a 4th and 7th place vezina finish. Anderson only has one year.
You have a very short memory
No I don't. I liked Andersen's work in Anaheim over the one year that Talbot looked like an above average goalie.

Edit: just looked at stats since 2013 and to my surprise they are very similar. Both have started the exact same number of games and both have a .918 save percentage. Only thing separating them is Andersen has a better quality start %. Still I will admit when I am wrong, these two are alot closer than I thought by just watching them.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Last year was dreadful, so u can't assign that as the expected.
I expect Strome, Lucic and Puljujarvi all to be over 50 points this year. That's 6 players.
For the Leafs, I expect 5 over 50. Both Reilly and Gardiner will not repeat those career seasons.
Actually, with Kadri getting pushed down it'll be 4 Leafs over 50 points: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander

Please put money on the Oilers having more 50 point scorers than the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad