Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Top 10? LOL.

Come on.
How quick leaf fans forget they were bounced by the Bruins, who got bounced by Tampa, who went down to the capitals..and that doesn't even count the teams that would boot them around in the West.. .but they are top 3. Hilarious.

Reactions: Snowman

Mar 26, 2010
How quick leaf fans forget they were bounced by the Bruins, who got bounced by Tampa, who went down to the capitals..and that doesn't even count the teams that would boot them around in the West.. .but they are top 3. Hilarious.
I don’t look in the past. This season will be very different. Get ready!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not it at all buddy
Every team can afford one player above 10m, not 2. Winnipeg can easily match a Laine offer sheet because all the other Jets contracts are cheap. Toronto put themselves in a horrible situation by taking on Tavares. Honestly, I don't understand the signing. That money was better spent on some defence...the forward group was already very nice
Ottawa will be looking for a new GM soon. You should apply

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I don’t look in the past. This season will be very different. Get ready!
You obviously don't look at a lot of things. Leafs list a player who scored 36 goals and brought in a 11m replacement that scored 37. Beyond that...not much to fix their holes.

Reactions: Snowman

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
You obviously don't look at a lot of things. Leafs list a player who scored 36 goals and brought in a 11m replacement that scored 37. Beyond that...not much to fix their holes.

you obviously don't know much either.

Tavares replaced Bozak not JVR
someone else (Kappy, Johnson, Leivo) replaces JVR

so you get #1 center for #3 center and lost #2 LW and replaced him with another LW.

Mar 26, 2010
You can only hope right. All of you Leaf haters here are praying that they crumble and break.

I guess beyond the below average “37 goal scorer” you speak of...Toronto does not have much to look forward too. I have a good feeling it is going to be a rough season for the Leaf haters on here. Be prepared.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
So ,your rationale is that :team A beats team B and then team A loses to team C , therefore , team C will beat (is better than) team B ?
Not a logical assumption,is it?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
No holes.

We will f***ing bury you.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Yes, I do. Love it when people think that all players want to get less paid just to win a cup. Hockey is their job, the main priority is to get paid.
You dont have a clue about the Nylander family and what they're looking at doing. Quit talking like you do, you're just a random poster. Just stop.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm not sure I agree with the Leafs fans who say that Toronto would match a 5 year/$40 million offer sheet. The math doesn't add up.

Sure, they've got the cap room this season, but after that things change dramatically. I've heard people projecting Matthews to ultimately get $9 million or $10 million a year. Also heard that Marner is looking for big money ($7 million, $8 million?). So let's assume that between Matthews and Marner they get $17 million. Let's also assume that Nylander gets an offer sheet for $8 million. That's $25 million for three players against remaining 2019-20 salary cap room of $31.5 million. That leaves Toronto with $6.5 million to sign a minimum of 7 guys. No GM is going to put himself in that position.

Sure, there can be other moves made and other guys shipped out, but then you're creating a new hole in the line up. The bigger problem is that the issue perpetuates itself going forward, throughout the length of, at a minimum, Nylander's contract.

Now, I'm not saying that other teams should send an offer sheet over for Nylander. As a Canes fan, I wouldn't do it at $8 million per season (maybe $7 million or $7.25 million) but I'd want to have Aho and Teravainen under contract first so they don't use that as a comp.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm not sure I agree with the Leafs fans who say that Toronto would match a 5 year/$40 million offer sheet. The math doesn't add up.

Sure, they've got the cap room this season, but after that things change dramatically. I've heard people projecting Matthews to ultimately get $9 million or $10 million a year. Also heard that Marner is looking for big money ($7 million, $8 million?). So let's assume that between Matthews and Marner they get $17 million. Let's also assume that Nylander gets an offer sheet for $8 million. That's $25 million for three players against remaining 2019-20 salary cap room of $31.5 million. That leaves Toronto with $6.5 million to sign a minimum of 7 guys. No GM is going to put himself in that position.

Sure, there can be other moves made and other guys shipped out, but then you're creating a new hole in the line up. The bigger problem is that the issue perpetuates itself going forward, throughout the length of, at a minimum, Nylander's contract.

Now, I'm not saying that other teams should send an offer sheet over for Nylander. As a Canes fan, I wouldn't do it at $8 million per season (maybe $7 million or $7.25 million) but I'd want to have Aho and Teravainen under contract first so they don't use that as a comp.

I believe you're including Nathan Horton's $5.3 AAV on the cap, but he'll be put on LTIR that season (or moved for a pick, with 1 year at $3.6 million salary). He's not on LTIR this year because it would cause problems when Matthews/Marner hit their bonuses, but that won't be an issue then.

There's no doubt it will be tight, but the organization has put a lot of resources into the Marlies and will definitely be leaning on that pipeline to supply some cheap contributors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad