Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know not many offer sheets happen and the chance of it happening is slim but as a fan of Nylander I'd love to see poile offer sheet him. Say 7 years 52.5 million. Probably would be matched though
I'd prefer not to give up four 1sts for Nylander, myself.

(Yes, it's four 1sts. Recall the "five year limit" on determining offer sheet AAV, and see the CapFriendly offer sheet calculator)

EDIT: And even if you reduced the term to 5 years, the Preds can't do a 1st/2nd/3rd offer sheet because the 3rd was traded to Vegas for Emelin.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The only OS that would be dangerous for Toronto would be a 3 year one. And for the same reason I can't really imagine another team offering it anyway.

Reactions: Shad

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
It just seems unlikely for numerous reasons. For one, Nylander would have to actually accept the offer sheet, which would eliminate a good number of teams. Second, the max that most teams would offer on an offer sheet is 5 years (unless you are interested in paying higher draft picks) so the Leafs always have the advantage in offering 6/7/8. And then you add the rarity of offer sheets in the first place.

It just isn't a very realistic scenario overall.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It just seems unlikely for numerous reasons. For one, Nylander would have to actually accept the offer sheet, which would eliminate a good number of teams. Second, the max that most teams would offer on an offer sheet is 5 years (unless you are interested in paying higher draft picks) so the Leafs always have the advantage in offering 6/7/8. And then you add the rarity of offer sheets in the first place.

Yea looks like he'll be a leaf for awhile then. Dang it ;)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Aren't there other young wingers we could play fantasy trade proposal for than Nylander? Every thread he gets mentioned in becomes a shit show.

Oh, and I'm with Viqsi. :thumbu:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

5 years would be ideal for Nylander. He's 22 now and would be a UFA at 27.

Say he signs 5 years 40 million now and then at 27 can sign 7 or 7 years at an increased dollar rate. That's a win win for him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The most intriguing offer sheets are to teams with cap problems. Before the Sekera injury I thought Nurse would be an interesting offer sheet because the Oilers would have been forced to shed money to match a big one.

The Leafs have no cap issues this year so it would be matched pretty quickly. And if it's not matched because it's a ridiculous number, the combination of overpayment and loss of draft picks would probably cause more harm than good for the team.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
5x 8.1 is the only possible combination that might get him from the Leafs. Nylander at 8.1 isn’t worth the picks though

Reactions: Snowman

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
It won’t happen since the Leafs are a very ideal place to play right now and Nylander seems to really like it there. The only way I could see it is if he wants to be a Center since that’s not happening in Toronto. If he signs an eight year deal in Toronto, he’s basically accepting that he’s a career winger, who knows how important that is to him.

If he was interested in signing one however, the best way to make it work is to sign him to a 2 year deal with the first year being worth 6 and the second year as 9 for an example. This way, you’re only paying a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd but the qualifying offer is a huge 9 million dollars (this would affect the team signing him to the OS obviously so it would need to be a team that really believes in him). For the Leafs, if they accept Nylander would need to be qualified each remaining RFA year at 9 million so it’s essentially a loophole that allows a team to sign Nylander to a long term 9 million dollar deal without having to pay the compensation that comes with that. For Nylander he gets wayyy more money since no team would lose a guy like him for nothing, so they would be forced to accept the qualifying offer each year.

Reactions: 7even and Flukeshot

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
5 years would be ideal for Nylander. He's 22 now and would be a UFA at 27.

Say he signs 5 years 40 million now and then at 27 can sign 7 or 7 years at an increased dollar rate. That's a win win for him.

The Leafs almost certainly match at 5 x 8.0. They wouldn't like it but I have a hard time seeing them not. The other teams then just hiked up a league comparable they may regret later(the biggest reason offer sheets are rare). The only winner in that offer sheet is Nylander.

Once you jump past the 8.1+ barrier into 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd I'm not sure anyone would want to pay those picks for the privilege of paying Nylander 8.2 million dollars.

The only realistic scenario would be if a really good team were willing to pay 4 1sts for him at 7 x 7.25 which I also doubt happens, but I don't see anyone wanting to give up 2 1sts+ for him at 8.2, and I don't see anyone bothering at less than that either because the Leafs will likely match, and unsuccessful offer sheets really only benefit the player hiking up the price is obviously bad for the matching team but also hikes up comparables for the future.

Say The Preds offered Nylander 8.0 x 5(if they could), the Leafs matched, then in 3 years Tolvanen is RFA with 1 50 point, 1 60 point, and 1 65 point season under a 88 million cap. He's going to say you offered Nylander 8, I'm better(the stats, not going to get into a talent comparison) plus a cap raise I want 9.5 x 5 which he'd pretty much be in line for with a pay bump and cap raise.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I feel like a team could offer a 4 year, 32ish million dollar contract.

Nylander might be interested because he gets a big contract that brings him to UFA. And I’m not sure the leafs would want to match that. Plus the team isn’t losing multiple 1st round picks.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the leafs arent letting nylander walk for 7.5

if you are getting into the two 1sts+2nd+3rd range in the mid 8's maybe its a different story

Nylander isnt signing an offer sheet with any team though, so there is that. Dubas and willys agent are working on a deal not much to see here really

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Winnipeg should offer-sheet him.

yeah, smart idea lol.

they would need to go 10.1+ because they dont have the picks required

Toronto will love offer sheeting connor next year too. 8 mil and dont break a sweat if the jets take the 1st,2nd,3rd

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why would Willie want to leave Toronto to go live in Winnipeg right when Toronto is turning the corner?

plus

Wheeler (UFA), Myers (UFA), Laine, Trouba, Connor

jets arent in any position to be offering out an offersheet.

Reactions: DarthProbert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad