Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
No I don't. I liked Andersen's work in Anaheim over the one year that Talbot looked like an above average goalie.

Edit: just looked at stats since 2013 and to my surprise they are very similar. Both have started the exact same number of games and both have a .918 save percentage. Only thing separating them is Andersen has a better quality start %. Still I will admit when I am wrong, these two are alot closer than I thought by just watching them.

Both are a product of their team success. Talbot 2016 and Andersson 2017. Who knows what this year brings...multiple surprise failures every year now.

Mar 26, 2010
The funny thing is, it LITERALLY stops there for Edm, while Toronto keeps going with Marner, Nylander, etc.
Toronto is one of the deepest teams in the NHL, Top 3. Everyone knows this. Do not let them tell you otherwise. Talk is cheap.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Both are a product of their team success. Talbot 2016 and Andersson 2017. Who knows what this year brings...multiple surprise failures every year now.
no they weren't. they were the main reason why the team had success.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I didn't dig in how Talbot's #'s in New York affected this either.

I still think I would rather have Andersen on my team, and I am not a fan of either the oilers or leafs.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Toronto is one of the deepest teams in the NHL, Top 3. Everyone knows this. Do not let them tell you otherwise. Talk is cheap.
deepest forward groups absolutely...not sure about deepest teams. Because of their deep forward group they would be top 10, but I do not think top 3.

Reactions: yababy

Mar 26, 2010
deepest forward groups absolutely...not sure about deepest teams. Because of their deep forward group they would be top 10, but I do not think top 3.
Top 10? LOL.

Come on.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Money aside, it's appears that Nylander might be the fourth best forward with the Leafs. Nylander might want to have a more prominent role elsewhere as soon as possible. There is always the danger the offer is matched, so Nylander might just want to go the "Trouba" route. Take short term contracts (yea does cost him money) and then become a UFA in four years.
Nylander played less than 40 games in 15-16 so yes, they burned a year off his elc what they didn’t do was burn a year of control off. Willy isn’t a UFA for another 5 seasons.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Last year was dreadful, so u can't assign that as the expected.
I expect Strome, Lucic and Puljujarvi all to be over 50 points this year. That's 6 players.
For the Leafs, I expect 5 over 50. Both Reilly and Gardiner will not repeat those career seasons.
Actually, with Kadri getting pushed down it'll be 4 Leafs over 50 points: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander

Lucic and Strome will be lucky to hit 30 let alone 50.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lucic and Strome will be lucky to hit 30 let alone 50.

30 goals maybe. Everyone knows they'll both get 60 assists, and EDM will have 4 90 point players, while the Leafs will have 0 70 point players, the Oilers will have 7 or 8 50 point players while the Leafs will have 3 because Nylander will be traded, and the Oilers will have 15 30 point players while the Leafs will have maybe 7 and neither defensemen will do it because their defense sucks, and Kapanen sucks, and Johnsson is a 23 year old AHLer, and Brown is bad, and Hyman sucks, even with 40 minutes of ice time that Babcrock will give him each game he still can't do it, and Matthews will barely hit 50 because he's sulking about how Tavares is here, who wil;l probably get injured anyway and then the Leafs and their 11 million dollars are screwed, and Andersen's save percentage will be 20 points less than Talbot but the Leafs will give him Carey Price money anyway because they love giving out 8 figures to old over the hill players

...and then I woke up

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I wouldn't blindly.

Depends who the picks are coming from.
If it's a team who is on the bubble (safest bet as it's the average possible selection) the picks are 16, 47 and 78 (ish obviously) then it's could be a decent return depending on the draft year.
It could also be a team that has a horrible season and it becomes a 5, 36 and 67 which becomes a yes to me easily.
He could also make a team a real contender in case it becomes a 28, 59 and 90. Which is an easy no.

You also can't see it as Nylander for Kapanen. If a team offered us Kap +1+2+3 that's one thing, but that's not the offer sheet. Kapanens value isnt added.

A percentage of Kapanen is added based on whatever proportion of ice-time he sees as an increase. Same with cap space. Those would have to be considered tangible assets when losing a player with a big cap hit like Nylander will have. That allows you to spread the free cap space amongst the rest of the lineup.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
One more time...

Offer sheet Nylander and you accomplish one of two things;

1. You give the Leafs extra picks to use to surround a still excellent forward core with great and cheap depth in the future (or maybe one of the picks even becomes as good as Nylander?).

2. You give them the necessary disposable assets (extra 1st and 2nd) to get a Trouba or a Parayko type big right shot D...knowing this place we'll hear 'those guys are both at best number four guys anyways and the Leafs D is still crap!', but you know what I mean.

Nylander signs for six years at just over 6 within the next two weeks.
Honestly parayko just isnt available. Blues have blue chip players in the system now. Why creates hole for picks that may never am out to anything.

Thomas 1/2c center
Kyrou top6 rw/c
Kostin top6 lw/rw
Bokk lw
Schmaltz rhd
Perunovich lhd
Walman lhd
Reinke rhd
Mikola lhd
Husso g
Bennington g
Fitzpatrick g

Blues also have tons of middle six prospects. No need to trade a great defenseman for picks

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Of those six teams, half of them don't have the necessary picks - Columbus doesn't have their 2nd, NJ is missing their 3rd, and NYI is missing both the 2nd and 3rd. And of the three remaining, two are at serious risk of giving up lottery-winning picks - Vancouver and Detroit - and Nylander arguably isn't worth that risk. So you're basically down to whether or not Carolina wants to do something provocative w/r/t picking up a winger and/or believes in Nylander's ability at center enough to risk that play.
In regards to Carolina, I dont think the new owner has indicated he has much of a stomach to overpay ($$$) for talent and offersheets are always huge overpayments.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly parayko just isnt available. Blues have blue chip players in the system now. Why creates hole for picks that may never am out to anything.

Thomas 1/2c center
Kyrou top6 rw/c
Kostin top6 lw/rw
Bokk lw
Schmaltz rhd
Perunovich lhd
Walman lhd
Reinke rhd
Mikola lhd
Husso g
Bennington g
Fitzpatrick g

Blues also have tons of middle six prospects. No need to trade a great defenseman for picks

And I can respect that, those names are just largely for the sake of example and because they would be great fits.

But you can see what I'm getting at.

As good as Nylander is we're he on the block, teams trading for him know they're going to have to give him 6.5 if they want to keep him long term.

Suppose, again sake of example, Detroit offersheets him for 6.25 Leafs don't match (but they probably would), gives up a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd, misses the playoffs and picks 11th overall.

A package of say, Kapanen, 11th overall and 2020 Detroit 2nd suddenly becomes quite attractive for some teams nearly up against the ceiling, even if the ask is a coveted 27 or younger coveted RHD or 30 or under proven RHD with a fair deal.

No one wins if someone offersheets him to a deal he wouldn't consider an insult. He's not worth the maximum compensation amount and the Leafs would easily match anything less than the second highest amount at 6.26 (which I think is ballpark about a fair deal for him), especially if a competitive team like the Bolts, Knights or Jets offered it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad