Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
"Nothing but money" just happens to be a boatload of cap space. Cap space ain't nothing bud. And that was a ton spend on a position that Leafs were just fine with.
I suspect Leafs will regret the signing in, oh, about 12 months

Seriously? You think spending cap space at the 1C position (now we have two, what an awful problem) was a mistake?
If you're just someone desperate to crap on the Leafs I guess I can see why you post that. Otherwise... I doubt you know what you're talking about.
I'd definitely rather have two star Centre men and a couple star wingers than overpaying some low-level defender.

Edit:
At a position they were fine with?? Bozak was UFA, and not worth another contract. There is no one coming up from the Marlies... Toronto had 2 NHL quality centres. Definitely needed to add. The fact it was a top C in the league did not hurt us lol

Reactions: Mork

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Not it at all buddy
Every team can afford one player above 10m, not 2. Winnipeg can easily match a Laine offer sheet because all the other Jets contracts are cheap. Toronto put themselves in a horrible situation by taking on Tavares. Honestly, I don't understand the signing. That money was better spent on some defence...the forward group was already very nice

I agree that the Tavares signing was odd. It smacks of ego and grandstanding by a new GM. Just because he could sign him, doesn't mean he should of signed him. I do think they can make the money work though provided Matthews doesn't lose his mind and look for the McDavid contract. Regardless, things are going to be tight in TOR if Dubas insists he can keep everyone.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
8.1 x7 is overprice for the production and only costs 1st,2nd,3rd. Lowers trade value too, since not many teams can afford to give assets for 20+40 player that costs 3mil over the market.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not it at all buddy
Every team can afford one player above 10m, not 2. Winnipeg can easily match a Laine offer sheet because all the other Jets contracts are cheap. Toronto put themselves in a horrible situation by taking on Tavares. Honestly, I don't understand the signing. That money was better spent on some defence...the forward group was already very nice

You can't understand the signing Here let me explain the signing.

Matthews Tavares Kadri, that's all the explanation needed but lets go further.

When you have Matthews Tavares and Kadri down the middle you have a center position that only Pittsburgh can match and even they can't truly match it because Toronto goes 3 deep, Yes Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin but Brassard can't match Kadri, what that means is that Toronto has the kind of depth at center that NOBODY can truly match.

How were the last 3 cups won? center depth neither Pittsburgh nor Washington have stellar D cores but they do have strong depth down the middle.

Toronto can't be matched at center or on offense in general

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's a horrible idea.

Scenario #1 - You offer Nylander less than enough money to avoid paying 4 1sts. Leafs match and you look like a dick.
Scenario #2 - You offer Nylander enough money that it would cost 4 1sts. Leafs decline to match. You win Nylander and you also look like a dick.

Nylander looks like he's the real deal, but wouldn't it be nice to wait until he does something crazy (yet possible) like score 90 points or 40 goals before we throw him a blank cheque?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I know not many offer sheets happen and the chance of it happening is slim but as a fan of Nylander I'd love to see poile offer sheet him. Say 7 years 52.5 million. Probably would be matched though

I'd do it if I'm the Yotes.

Then I'd trade Bolland + Strome to Montreal for Pacioretty (Extended) + Byron + Montreal 2019 2nd

Keller/Galchenyuk/Nylander
Pacioretty/Stepan/Hinostroza
Perlini/Dvorak/Fischer
Panik/Byron/Grabner

OEL/Demers
Chych/Hjal
Goligoski/Connauton

That team could actually compete for a cup, and they would have more than enough cap space to fit all those guys into long term deals if they bridge Keller and Chychrun. At worst, the Nylander deal ends up being four LATE firsts (22+) and the likelihood of an NHL player in that range being a Nylander level player is relatively low

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
only Pittsburgh can match and even they can't truly match it because Toronto goes 3 deep,

Crosby is the #2C in the entire league - Tavares is top 10.
Malkin is the #3C in the entire league - Matthews is top 15.

Kadri is a great, probably top 20/top 25C, and Brassard is not even a top 50 guy --- but at the end of the day, the Penguins definitely win out in center depth because they still have the better players.

Their wing depth is about similar, their defensive depth is equally as terrible, but their goaltending is also much better.

For reference of center listing (approximately, order could be slightly argued)

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Kopitar = Bergeron = Barkov = Backstrom
Tavares = Seguin
Getzlaf

---
MacK
Scheifele = Matthews = Kuznetsov
Draisaitl = Eichel = Pavelski
Toews (fallen a lot over last few seasons)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd do it if I'm the Yotes.

Then I'd trade Bolland + Strome to Montreal for Pacioretty (Extended) + Byron + Montreal 2019 2nd

Keller/Galchenyuk/Nylander
Pacioretty/Stepan/Hinostroza
Perlini/Dvorak/Fischer
Panik/Byron/Grabner

OEL/Demers
Chych/Hjal
Goligoski/Connauton

That team could actually compete for a cup, and they would have more than enough cap space to fit all those guys into long term deals if they bridge Keller and Chychrun. At worst, the Nylander deal ends up being four LATE firsts (22+) and the likelihood of an NHL player in that range being a Nylander level player is relatively low

Even if Nylander signed an offer sheet, Toronto matches, you'd never get him. Beyond that though why even sign it? Why leave a team that has Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Kadri and Rielly on it? none of them are 30, 3 of them are under 25 and you are leaving that core to go to Arizona who has nothing even remotely close to a core like that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto is NOT the one, Toronto has more money than you, if you offer sheet them they will make you regret it because they can, because they are owned by MLSE who have a bottomless pit of money

Reactions: topshelf15

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Okay well now I see we’re living in two different realities if you think Matthews is pissed off about Tavares signing here.

I guess "yababy" feels threatened when a competent newbie gets a desk next to him at the office.

This offseason the Leafs in effect made a trade.....Komarov, JVR and Bozak...who signed UFA contracts for 15m for Johnson, Kapanen (or Grundtrom) and Tavares for 13m. Think Leafs fans like that exchange for now and the future.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's a horrible idea.

Scenario #1 - You offer Nylander less than enough money to avoid paying 4 1sts. Leafs match and you look like a dick.
Scenario #2 - You offer Nylander enough money that it would cost 4 1sts. Leafs decline to match. You win Nylander and you also look like a dick.

Nylander looks like he's the real deal, but wouldn't it be nice to wait until he does something crazy (yet possible) like score 90 points or 40 goals before we throw him a blank cheque?

What is the money limit for those 4x 1sts

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Toronto is NOT the one, Toronto has more money than you, if you offer sheet them they will make you regret it because they can, because they are owned by MLSE who have a bottomless pit of money

Same cap rules apply to all teams. This isn't the 1990's where the Leafs spent their way to a Cup. Wait, my bad.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
What do you mean net salary? Differing tax rates don’t matter in this case; the Leafs would just have to match the exact cap dollar amount of Nashville and they retain Nylander; it doesn’t matter if Nylander would ultimately end up seeing less of that money after Ontario taxes were factored in.

If the system wasn’t that way you would see teams in zero-tax states like Florida offer-sheeting the RFAs from Canadian and high-tax US state teams every offseason. It would be absurd.
Oh I know, I was on my phone and was a bit lazy, did not finish the whole thought :p
But if Nashville offershets Nylander at 8 and Leafs match ( if even Nylander signs) what would that mean for Marner? No way he would want to earn less? He would want 9 then I guess???

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
8.1 x7 is overprice for the production and only costs 1st,2nd,3rd. Lowers trade value too, since not many teams can afford to give assets for 20+40 player that costs 3mil over the market.
From what I understand the AAV gets applied for 5 years so a 8.1 x 7 contract is really 11.34 million AAv x 5 so 4 1st rounders.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Offer sheet? What is that? it's the NHL version for faked news.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If you're a competing team with cap, and on your last leg as a GM why not burn your bridges and go for it. I mean look what Vegas (and GMGM isn't on his last leg) gave up at the deadline for Tatar. For like an extra 4 mil+ and a 1st you can get a 22 year old to build around. Why not supersize that order?
Poile has been their GM for a billion years so I'm curious what he could do to get fired

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
From what I understand the AAV gets applied for 5 years so a 8.1 x 7 contract is really 11.34 million AAv x 5 so 4 1st rounders.
Nope that's wrong it's five years and then it gets weird so if they keep it five it's one second third. If a team goes longer then it's whatever divided by five for no reason

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Nope that's wrong it's five years and then it gets weird so if they keep it five it's one second third. If a team goes longer then it's whatever divided by five for no reason
Ya but the OP didn't offer a 5 year contract they offered 8.1 x 7 which would be more than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I did take the contract value and divide by 5 to get the AAV (11.34). Not saying that's what the team would have to give Nylander just how the compensation would be paid in picks.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ya but the OP didn't offer a 5 year contract they offered 8.1 x 7 which would be more than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I did take the contract value and divide by 5 to get the AAV (11.34).
After five you have to overpay because it's some weird rule like under five years it's a certain amount of money and if you offer a longer contract you give away all your picks. I don't remember the exact wording but I'm pretty sure after five it's not worth it

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am not sure how many Nylander offer sheet threads there have been but he will not receive an offer that will tempt him to sign one.
Because 1 the Leafs have plenty of cap space this year and if they have to match a big overpayment that also keeps the compensation to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd they will and then showcase Nylander next season and then trade him next off season
A team offering him 7 by 7 would know that this would be matched because the compensation is too low and it is only a slight overpayment on his actual value
A team would not offer him 7X7.5 because Nylander is not a player worth 4 1st round picks
A team would not offer him 5X8.1 or any variety of short term contracts that keep the AAV for offer sheet compensation below 8.1 because he is not a player you would risk huge over-payment (I define huge overpayment as $1M plus per year) on plus there is a good chance its matched because the compensation is so low
Lastly, Nylander gives up control of where he plays after next season if he signs an offersheet and its matched. He likes Toronto, if he signs an offersheet it means he is will to play long term in that city. but if he signs an offersheet and Toronto matches there is a good chance that as soon as the Leafs can trade him they will and chances are it will not be to a team that is a playoff contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->