OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No one gets out alive right.

Completely off topic. My new neighbor said to me. “You’re style is different, you wear Ariat boots, Buffalo jeans, Patagonia pullovers and drive a Lexus sports car while blasting MGK, “.

Surely I’m not unique around here.
Nope, not unique at all. My neighbor said that to me too! :eek2:

But she was wrong about that also. 'Cuz I wear... well whatever junk I get the cheapest from the discount rack at Wal-Mart, drive a crappy pickup, and blast whatever is on Liquid Metal at the time. I reckon that makes me pretty cool as well, though. :dunno:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My general rule for clothing is the store has to have a cart (Target, Kohl's) or I can order it online. I hate shopping for clothes, don't like malls, and I'm not and have never been fashionable. I get dressed even when I don't have video conferences but it's basics. My sister got ALL the fashion genes. I consider ironing my khakis and Up and Up shirts to be dressing up. So I'm fairly cheap in that regard BUT I will spend money on my hair. I'm rocking silver and blonde now, btw. Hope y'all recognize me when we meet in the concourse someday.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My general rule for clothing is the store has to have a cart (Target, Kohl's) or I can order it online. I hate shopping for clothes, don't like malls, and I'm not and have never been fashionable. I get dressed even when I don't have video conferences but it's basics. My sister got ALL the fashion genes. I consider ironing my khakis and Up and Up shirts to be dressing up. So I'm fairly cheap in that regard BUT I will spend money on my hair. I'm rocking silver and blonde now, btw. Hope y'all recognize me when we meet in the concourse someday.
I won't spend money on my hair though... for the last 20 years the same $20 clippers from Target are all I need to do the trim every 3 mos. Rock that $20 for at least 5 years. Rinse and repeat. The Comic Book Guy ponytail is doable (Covid is proving this :eek2:), but still the buzzcut wins out easy for me. :(

Save that money for some concert tix, if anything. :yo:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I hate Kohl’s. I’m convinced most of their men’s clothing is like factory 2nds.

I will confess though, outside of Binks, Amy does most of my shopping. And my shoes, I’m picky with boots and shoes. She doesn’t much care for my boots,

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I won't spend money on my hair though... for the last 20 years the same $20 clippers from Target are all I need to do the trim every 3 mos. Rock that $20 for at least 5 years. Rinse and repeat. The Comic Book Guy ponytail is doable (Covid is proving this :eek2:), but still the buzzcut wins out easy for me. :(

Save that money for some concert tix, if anything. :yo:
Yeah, I can get that for some--Mr. Adz is rocking the same ponytail these days.
I have two true vanities, my hair and my skin. I haven't used cheap stuff on my face or my head for 30 years. I don't do my own hair cuts, I don't color it myself (used to til someone mentioned it was "obvious"...too vain for THAT!)

I don't necessarily like Kohl's. But it does have a cart. They took away my Chaps stuff and a certain brand of jeans which fit well, so that sucks.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I hate Kohl’s. I’m convinced most of their men’s clothing is like factory 2nds.

I will confess though, outside of Binks, Amy does most of my shopping. And my shoes, I’m picky with boots and shoes. She doesn’t much care for my boots,

Kohl's, formerly owned by Wisconsin Sen Herb Kohl's family (the previous Bucks owner), has been around for the 40 years that I have lived in Milwaukee.

You are absolutely correct that much of their men's clothing isn't as good as it used to be circa 2000 or maybe 2010.

I also agree with Adz on Kohl's dropping some of the clothing that I like. I find it difficult to find blue jeans that I like or can afford. Levi's are cheaply built trash. The last pair of Levi's that I bought lasted about a year. As a younger man, they lasted 3 or 4 years for the same amount of wear.

Last edited:

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I love shopping. For clothes, makeup, shoes, household items, anything really!

I am a picky person so I like to feel the clothes and try them on so this pandemic is putting a strain on that since some stores won't let anyone try on clothes.

I could spend hours in Ulta or Sephora.

I hate shopping online.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I have really missed the art and craft fairs. They are such great events to get unique jewelry, pottery, wood work, gifts etc.

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am a picky person so I like to feel the clothes and try them on so this pandemic is putting a strain on that since some stores won't let anyone try on clothes.
Not being able to try on has definitely been a negative. With women's clothing, you never know whether you'll fit into an 8 or a 16 or something in between--or none of them because of the cut--and once you find one that fits that is no guarantee that an identical garment will also fit.

Menswear is going the same route, unfortunately. Where a 32-32 used to fit anyone with those dimensions, now a 32 might really be a 34 or a 30. The fabric is cheaper, too. Mr. Adz likes Dockers but he doesn't like the thickness of the fabric these days. Sure, it's easier to iron, but it's flimsy and doesn't hang to his liking. Even though we'll buy multiple identical pairs at the same time because it's hard to find his size, he's regularly finding one of them to be "too tight, too short, too loose"

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Shopping in general sucks but I found most of my work clothes from Kohl's. Izod and Croft & Barrow have decent shirts and they have Jerry Garcia ties which are the best and it's not even close.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I need this year to end. I'm honestly thinking of eating a bullet.
Well, stop it.

We're all sick to death of 2020 and most everything it's brought. It's been awful. My hockey buddy is moving back to Nebraska because his job went away, I haven't been able to hug my Mama since March, my son moved back from Japan and we can't even see each other's entire face, we can't have our normal Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations because of this stupid thing. My sister and mother moved to Nashville and we can't DO anything. Coupled with sports being...well, weird...and there being a contentious election believe me, no one likes this year. But we'll all get through it, including you. So stop that talk.

Reactions: Viqsi and adsfan

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Well, stop it.

We're all sick to death of 2020 and most everything it's brought. It's been awful. My hockey buddy is moving back to Nebraska because his job went away, I haven't been able to hug my Mama since March, my son moved back from Japan and we can't even see each other's entire face, we can't have our normal Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations because of this stupid thing. My sister and mother moved to Nashville and we can't DO anything. Coupled with sports being...well, weird...and there being a contentious election believe me, no one likes this year. But we'll all get through it, including you. So stop that talk.

You sound like Viqsi. I'm sorry about your situation. I wish I could help. I'm sick of the word sorry

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
You sound like Viqsi. I'm sorry about your situation. I wish I could help. I'm sick of the word sorry
Sometimes you need to hear it straight.

Thanks. We're dealing with it. My mother is not doing particularly well with it all emotionally but physically she's fine. We elbow bump a lot. But it was more to say that you are not alone in your misery. I just want you to stay safe.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well, stop it.

One of the younger people at work asked me if I remember another year like 2020. I thought about 3 seconds and said "1968!".

The Vietnam War, student protests, an unpopular president in an election year, civil rights, riots in cities like Detroit and Washington DC, MLK and Robert Kennedy being murdered, the Asian or Hong Kong Flu, which my mom got. Grandma took take of her and kept everyone else away. (Granny lived through the Spanish flu. Her healthy 21 year old next door neighbor got it and he was dead two days later.) My grandma had enough guts for two people.

Hang in there BFC! I guarantee that next year will be better. Unless we get in a war with China, there is no where to go but UP from 2020!

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I remember 1968 for the assassinations, and I remember watching the conventions with my mother. I remember seeing death counts from the war on the news and seeing protests. I also remember watching Laugh In and The Smothers Brothers with my father, both political but I didn't know. I think that's when Steven Gaskin and his group came through Nashville and my father took me to see "the hippies". But I don't remember the flu so I imagine none in our family or friends had it. I know where I lived and whose class I was in but mainly it's a big blur.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My Mom got the Hong Kong flu, she said she was miserable.

The one thing to remember in all of this is that this is not the first time nor the worst it's ever been, not by a long shot. People pushed on then and we gotta push on now.

Put your head down and move on to the next day and see what it brings.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I remember 1968 for the assassinations, and I remember watching the conventions with my mother. I remember seeing death counts from the war on the news and seeing protests. I also remember watching Laugh In and The Smothers Brothers with my father, both political but I didn't know. I think that's when Steven Gaskin and his group came through Nashville and my father took me to see "the hippies". But I don't remember the flu so I imagine none in our family or friends had it. I know where I lived and whose class I was in but mainly it's a big blur.

We got our first color TV in 1968. You could see the blood in living color on Walter Cronkite on CBS or Huntley and Brinkley on NBC. (I think that Peter Jennings was the mostly unwatched anchor on distant third place ABC). "This week the US lost 363 killed and had 1068 wounded. Viet Cong losses were estimated at 960 killed."

I remember Ed Bradley being one of the CBS reporters on the ground in Vietnam. You could hear the bullets whizzing during the Tet Offensive coverage. Merry X-mas!

Pat Paulsen from the Smothers Brothers show ran for president. He would "put the pin heads in the Army and the fat heads in the government" if elected.

Richard Nixon appeared on Laugh In and said "Sock to me!". VP Hubert Humphrey appeared and said "I'll sock it to you, Richard!" The candidates on Prime Time TV.

My sister never missed American Bandstand on Saturdays. It was the only time when she was awake and wasn't on the phone.

I also remember the Smothers Brothers running afoul of both CBS and Richard Nixon in 1970 or so. Those darn folk singing peaceniks!

Reactions: PredsV82 and Adz

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I love shopping. For clothes, makeup, shoes, household items, anything really!

I could spend hours in Ulta or Sephora.

I hate shopping online.
Other way around here. I browse Amazon the way some folks browse Wikipedia sometimes. It's been less of a release for me lately, tho, 'cause folks have been asking me for phone replacements (and I want to do one myself) and their requirements are CONFLICTING AND IMPOSSIBLE because nobody sells such things together anymore arrrgh I hate the whole phone industry and I want to set it all on fire

* * *​
I need this year to end. I'm honestly thinking of eating a bullet.
I know (approximately) where you live and I will kick your ass if I have to. :p: :)

* * *​
Sometimes you need to hear it straight.

Thanks. We're dealing with it. My mother is not doing particularly well with it all emotionally but physically she's fine. We elbow bump a lot. But it was more to say that you are not alone in your misery. I just want you to stay safe.
I thought that was our family's thing. I guess we're not the only ones who saw Young Frankenstein after all. ;)

* * *​
One of the younger people at work asked me if I remember another year like 2020. I thought about 3 seconds and said "1968!".

The Vietnam War, student protests, an unpopular president in an election year, civil rights, riots in cities like Detroit and Washington DC, MLK and Robert Kennedy being murdered, the Asian or Hong Kong Flu, which my mom got. Grandma took take of her and kept everyone else away. (Granny lived through the Spanish flu. Her healthy 21 year old next door neighbor got it and he was dead two days later.) My grandma had enough guts for two people.

Hang in there BFC! I guarantee that next year will be better. Unless we get in a war with China, there is no where to go but UP from 2020!
Yeah, 1968, wow. My mother was eight years old when all that was going on. :D

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I thought that was our family's thing. I guess we're not the only ones who saw Young Frankenstein after all. ;)

* * *​

Yeah, 1968, wow. My mother was eight years old when all that was going on. :D
I was 10.

Young Frankenstein is one of my all time favorites. I saw it in the theater at least 4 times and of course I've seen it on video since then. My sister decided on it, I just follow along.

@adsfan Pat Paulsen. Oh, my. I hadn't thought of him in years! But yeah. Did you know that the dark haired woman on the Smothers Brothers is the same woman who played Lady Aberlin on Mister Rogers? We didn't get a color set til the early 70's so I missed a LOT of blood. First show I remember seeing in color was The Brady Bunch.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm in that generation where everything was phasing out or coming in.

I'm old enough to remember using a knob black and white tv and use a rotary phome but yet young enough to remember before cellphones, and when the internet was something only super nerds had.

Reactions: adsfan and Adz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad