OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I may only have a few more weeks to enjoy the thought of drafting a franchise goalie. I'm going to lean into it before the reality sets in.

I think Wallstedt lands here. Maybe not at 6, hence my other draft related post. I think we'll be pretty pleased overall with this draft.

Reactions: Bench

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I may only have a few more weeks to enjoy the thought of drafting a franchise goalie. I'm going to lean into it before the reality sets in.

Remove the Askarov nameplate from the jersey? Hehe.

Reactions: Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For those computer-philes out there, Newegg has started a new iteration of their PC building service. For $99 you can choose all your parts from a menu that includes what's compatible with your choices, and they'll assemble a custom build and ship it to you.

But it's somewhat controversial for 2 reasons. While they have a large selection, choices are limited to what can ship from their California warehouse, so not everything is eligible. And more importantly, it looks like they're gating certain hot items (notably the Nvidia 3000 cards) behind the assembly service.

I mean, it's cool that for $1500 I can have them build me a rockstar of a computer. But for anybody just wanting a new graphics card - when availability and price have already been maddening for a long time - I can understand the frustration.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Anyone into Warhammer? I briefly painted the miniatures as a kid but never played the game. I'm thinking it might be a nice hobby to get into that doesn't involve a screen.

Paging @Bench, Hobby King -- or is it Hobby Queen?

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
For those computer-philes out there, Newegg has started a new iteration of their PC building service. For $99 you can choose all your parts from a menu that includes what's compatible with your choices, and they'll assemble a custom build and ship it to you.

But it's somewhat controversial for 2 reasons. While they have a large selection, choices are limited to what can ship from their California warehouse, so not everything is eligible. And more importantly, it looks like they're gating certain hot items (notably the Nvidia 3000 cards) behind the assembly service.

I mean, it's cool that for $1500 I can have them build me a rockstar of a computer. But for anybody just wanting a new graphics card - when availability and price have already been maddening for a long time - I can understand the frustration.

Most of the fun in building custom is putting it together yourself.

Reactions: Ricelund

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Most of the fun in building custom is putting it together yourself.
Makes sense, for those interested. But I'm somebody who would sooner break half the parts than put everything together correctly, while still understanding that many normal prebuilts have self imposed limitations and generally crappy parts. So I might consider a service like this, depending on how prices unfold this fall.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Newegg has been maliciously scammy throughout this whole GPU shortage. The shuffle where you have to buy it packaged with shit you don't want... This assembly item, which again, I'm sure includes them dumping inventory along with the cards everyone wants. They'll sell it as "anti-scalping", but no. This is anti-consumer, not anti-robot. Because the people willing to do the scamming? They'll eat another $99 charge, because they're making $500+ on the back end. All this will do is piss off consumers more... and especially at a time when the crest of the shortage wave seems to be coming.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Makes sense, for those interested. But I'm somebody who would sooner break half the parts than put everything together correctly, while still understanding that many normal prebuilts have self imposed limitations and generally crappy parts. So I might consider a service like this, depending on how prices unfold this fall.

See, I can understand this. And if they just rolled this out without paywalling the 3000 series GPUs and other hot items behind it? I'd support them. This is Newegg trying to prop up this service right out of the gate.

Reactions: jkutswings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
See, I can understand this. And if they just rolled this out without paywalling the 3000 series GPUs and other hot items behind it? I'd support them. This is Newegg trying to prop up this service right out of the gate.

It helps reduce the ratio of scalping.

I get what you guys are saying but I don't see a more elegant solution available to help get GPUs into the hands of people that genuine want to build a PC.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

If you can put together a lego set, you can put together a computer. The biggest annoyance is cable management.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
If you can put together a lego set, you can put together a computer. The biggest annoyance is cable management.

Yeah, but honestly, the only people who get anal retentive about cable management are the guys who make a living off of building the PCs. As long as you don't have cables resting on elements that get super hot or have them pinned under something... you're fine. Jkuts, you're 100% fine. Computer parts, for all the worries about them being fragile, are pretty hardy when it comes to putting them into the motherboard or screwing them down. It literally is just common sense of don't drop things from multiple feet in the air, don't shuffle your feet on the carpet to build up a static charge and then pick up your motherboard. I mean, some of the biggest PC youtubers out there show this by being clumsy f***s who drop ram sticks all over the place to then just pop them in the PC and it works like a charm.

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If anyone wants to build a PC and needs a bit of tech support I'm available to help via Zoom/Teams/whatever for the future promise of a pint of IPA. Completely genuine, just hit me up and I'd love to help.

Reactions: Konnan511

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yeah, but honestly, the only people who get anal retentive about cable management are the guys who make a living off of building the PCs. As long as you don't have cables resting on elements that get super hot or have them pinned under something... you're fine. Jkuts, you're 100% fine. Computer parts, for all the worries about them being fragile, are pretty hardy when it comes to putting them into the motherboard or screwing them down. It literally is just common sense of don't drop things from multiple feet in the air, don't shuffle your feet on the carpet to build up a static charge and then pick up your motherboard. I mean, some of the biggest PC youtubers out there show this by being clumsy f***s who drop ram sticks all over the place to then just pop them in the PC and it works like a charm.

Yeah, don't look in either of mine as the cables are a mess.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
If anyone wants to build a PC and needs a bit of tech support I'm available to help via Zoom/Teams/whatever for the future promise of a pint of IPA. Completely genuine, just hit me up and I'd love to help.

Assuming you want to buy the part in person do you go to the Micro Center in Minnesota or do they have other/better stores?

I hate the location of Madison Heights Micro Center so ducking much...

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
How many do we have among the ranks that were alive when Big Time Wrestling was still around? Farhat shut the territory down in '80. Picked up a nice independently published book of match cards from the mid 60's until the demise. Issues of their program, Body Press, sell for decent money on E-Bay. ROX-TV on YouTube has a great series on the history of wrestling in Detroit. My old man hated wrestling with a passion and never went to Cobo or Olympia cards. I think my uncle (now deceased) watched as he made a few references to Bobo Brazil when I was a kid.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Computer parts, for all the worries about them being fragile, are pretty hardy when it comes to putting them into the motherboard or screwing them down. It literally is just common sense of don't drop things from multiple feet in the air, don't shuffle your feet on the carpet to build up a static charge and then pick up your motherboard.

If I were the only force of nature interacting with the components, I follow your logic.

In a house with a 10-year-old, twin 4-year-olds, and an 8-month-old puppy? A $99 fee to get everything safely assembled is a much smaller risk than doing it here. :D

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Assuming you want to buy the part in person do you go to the Micro Center in Minnesota or do they have other/better stores?

I hate the location of Madison Heights Micro Center so ducking much...

This last build I grabbed parts from a bunch of places (due to the shortages and such). Micro Center was where I was able to find the CPU and GPU, though. Always had good experiences buying there, so we've bought a bunch of stuff from the store over the years. I picked up the power supply from Best Buy. And the rest was shipped from online retailers.

So I guess to answer your question, yeah, Micro Center is the best store we have going to pick up parts in person.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
D
Ditto.

Bench, we should make a thing in the Discord where we offer that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If I were the only force of nature interacting with the components, I follow your logic.

In a house with a 10-year-old, twin 4-year-olds, and an 8-month-old puppy? A $99 fee to get everything safely assembled is a much smaller risk than doing it here. :D

There's also the time element. Trying to fit stuff like this around the fam constantly needing this, that, and the other....yeah, at some point it's just nice to farm it out and have that time for something else.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

point is super well taken.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
There's also the time element. Trying to fit stuff like this around the fam constantly needing this, that, and the other....yeah, at some point it's just nice to farm it out and have that time for something else.

Yep. I mean, I'm now to the point where I can go wham, bam, thank you ma'am and the PC is together, but if it's the first time, you're real worried.

I do recommend if your 10 year old has any interest whatsoever in legos or the like doing a PC build at some point though. It's fun and you get to see how electronics go together.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
How many do we have among the ranks that were alive when Big Time Wrestling was still around? Farhat shut the territory down in '80. Picked up a nice independently published book of match cards from the mid 60's until the demise. Issues of their program, Body Press, sell for decent money on E-Bay. ROX-TV on YouTube has a great series on the history of wrestling in Detroit. My old man hated wrestling with a passion and never went to Cobo or Olympia cards. I think my uncle (now deceased) watched as he made a few references to Bobo Brazil when I was a kid.

Not that old. I'm a Monday Night Wars kid. 8/4/1997 is the only show I ever went to, but we f***in did it right. Up at the Palace for the 100th episode of Monday Nitro and we (me and several friends) got the run of the DuPont-leased suite for the night. That was an awesome show and I was 13 at the time, so stuff like the NWO was still super super cool. Definitely took my fair share of chair shots and suplexes and stuff as we were young and very stupid.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yep. I mean, I'm now to the point where I can go wham, bam, thank you ma'am and the PC is together, but if it's the first time, you're real worried.

The first time I had the little anti-static wristband and everything. I was treating it like open heart surgery and the static could kill my patient at any time. This time I just touched the plugged in power supply now and then and called it good.

But also this time I accidently bent a pin on one of the USB slots on the motherboard. So I guess I'm not beyond errors yet. Good lord are those fragile. Luckily the odds I ever need it are low, but damn was I annoyed after everything else was so perfect, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad