OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I skated on a pond last weekend. First time I've skated in about 8 months. I wasn't as sore the next day as I thought I would be. Expected to tear every ligament in my legs, but I didn't tear any. Huge win.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I skated on a pond last weekend. First time I've skated in about 8 months. I wasn't as sore the next day as I thought I would be. Expected to tear every ligament in my legs, but I didn't tear any. Huge win.

This is the first winter in a few years where I think it's been cold enough long enough to actually freeze some of the bigger lakes/ponds over around me. Parts of Lake Erie that used to be frozen every winter when we drove home haven't been frozen for the past four or five years. Crazy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

damn it, I had money on the PCL going.

it’s amazing what you can put money on on draft kings. I thought it was really weird that they had a prop bet about Jaster’s pond skating... but if you get 10000-1 odds on anything you take that bet.

If John Cougar Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar? I’m going to be a very rich man

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I sat by the pool on my lunch break in shorts and a tank top having a "Meh it's Friday, I'll have a couple beers during lunch" #WFH

Reactions: jaster

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Winter storm warning starting in 2 hours where I am.:ha:

It was 6 degrees when I woke up yesterday. :thumbd:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Winter storm warning starting in 2 hours where I am.:ha:

It was 6 degrees when I woke up yesterday. :thumbd:
tenor.gif

Reactions: Bench and Ezekial

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yeah. I think there is something wrong with people who live in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. Like International Falls and other things on the Canadian border.

Like it can get cold in Michigan. But when something like -40 is not some broken thermometer shit and it’s just normal winter? f*** that. You have a screw loose to want to live there. Like the people who settled there originally... what made them think “yes. I like freezing my balls off”

Reactions: jkutswings

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I wish I could have given some of my contact info to the people on Letsgowings.com, seems it's donezo. That was my first entry into hockey forums. I'll miss all the people I never got to say goodbye to.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah. I think there is something wrong with people who live in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. Like International Falls and other things on the Canadian border.

Like it can get cold in Michigan. But when something like -40 is not some broken thermometer shit and it’s just normal winter? f*** that. You have a screw loose to want to live there. Like the people who settled there originally... what made them think “yes. I like freezing my balls off”
The people that originally settled there wanted to make money off the furs of the abundant animals in the area. :)

Right after typing that I realized they weren't the original ones :eek: Whitewashing of America :/

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It was in the low 40's this morning and was hating life. IDK how you Michigan ppl deal with it lol

February in Chicago sucks. Weather is basically the same as Michigan. So my hockey buddies and I like to get away from it for a long weekend every year. We book an Airbnb, rent a Sprinter van with a tv and video games, and drive to.... Minneapolis lol. And then we play hockey outside all day every day on their plethora of beautiful, well-maintained outdoor rinks. And we drop a kings ransom in cash every night at their friendly drinking establishments (RIP Hexagon Bar). So much cold. But so worth it. Canceled this year of course, gonna miss it.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
damn it, I had money on the PCL going.

it’s amazing what you can put money on on draft kings. I thought it was really weird that they had a prop bet about Jaster’s pond skating... but if you get 10000-1 odds on anything you take that bet.

If John Cougar Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar? I’m going to be a very rich man

I’m skating again tomorrow. And while my body is probably more prepared this time, I’m also going to be way more confident. You can’t keep Mr BoDangles down forever. Might be a better chance I snap some rubber bands tomorrow.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I took a trip to Duluth in late October one year (it snowed one day) when I was living in Milwaukee. By the time I got back to 'Sconsin I felt like I went from Michigan to Florida. Who knew 42 degrees could feel so warm!

As for the people who settled there; there are a lot of Swedes and Finns that settled in The Iron Range. I think they wanted to live someplace equally god-foresaken as their homeland:sarcasm:

Joking aside, the north shore of Minnesota is one of the most beautiful, pristine places I've ever been.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As for the people who settled there; there are a lot of Swedes and Finns that settled in The Iron Range. I think they wanted to live someplace equally god-foresaken as their homeland:sarcasm:

That's a common joke that actually became a bit of a myth people actually believe. The reality of course was jobs in mining, not trying to find another frozen hell scape.

The Upper Peninsula has the highest concentration of Finnish people in the world... Well, aside from Finland.

I always felt like an outsider, I think I was the only person there that's 0% Finn. Naturally, I took on a Finn as my partner to absorb her Sisu.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That's a common joke that actually became a bit of a myth people actually believe. The reality of course was jobs in mining, not trying to find another frozen hell scape.

The Upper Peninsula has the highest concentration of Finnish people in the world... Well, aside from Finland.

I always felt like an outsider, I think I was the only person there that's 0% Finn. Naturally, I took on a Finn as my partner to absorb her Sisu.

I'm paraphrasing that joke from "The Daily Show" from way back when Samantha Bee was the correspondent. Man, Craig Kilbourne may have still been the host.

I still have a piece of agate one of the miners gave me my last trip there. It's still very much a way of life there. He stopped me on the road in a blasting zone. We hit it off and he loved my dog so he gifted me a lucky agate stone. I felt out of place being under 6'0 and not having oomlots in my name but those cats from The Iron Range were some of the most hospitable I've met.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Brrrrr, it's 75 degress inside & I'm wearing 2 layers (wintertime in North FL.). We just survived another 3-4 weeks of Jan. winter (60's-avg. highs, 45-avg. lows). Though temps from Nov-March can be hit or miss. I've seen 85-88 degrees on Christmas, outside in board shorts sweating my arse off while waxing my car. Then a week later 39 degrees. The last 4-5 winters/early spring have been slightly colder & longer. Rarely do temps drow below freezing, but 1-2x/yr it'll be in the 20's or 10's.

For the Northerners/Canadians/N.Europeans etc. move to FL, no state income tax, gorgeous beaches, good mix of people near most cities. Stay away from the inland swamps though. The humidity is beyond brutal May-Oct, but as long as you hydrate & you're in/near water and/or A.C., you're good. You can always play pond hockey/ice-fishing/snowmobiling/skiing on vacation. If we were meant to live in frigid tundras we'd grow thick coats of fur on our backs. I say this as someone who grew up in Long Island, then NC. 18yrs in FL & it's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad