OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you're having cheese curds and it's not part of a big bowl of poutine there is something wrong with curd consumption.

It is not but I do have a Red Wings license plate holder. Someone stole my plate a few years ago but was kind enough to leave the holder and the picture was taken walking distance from where I live.

So, next question: did the board just unintentionally find the jerk who stole your license plate?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
If you're having cheese curds and it's not part of a big bowl of poutine there is something wrong with curd consumption.

So, next question: did the board just unintentionally find the jerk who stole your license plate?

I can tell you from my time living in 'Sconsin that there is NO wrong way to do curd consumption. 6 million 'Sconies with high cholesterol can't be wrong! When I moved away and would go back to visit I would load up on cheese curds and beers I could only get there (mainly New Glarus Spotted Cow). It was always worth it to have to work off the pound or so of beer and cheese gut I'd put on from those trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I can tell you from my time living in 'Sconsin that there is NO wrong way to do curd consumption. 6 million 'Sconies with high cholesterol can't be wrong! When I moved away and would go back to visit I would load up on cheese curds and beers I could only get there (mainly New Glarus Spotted Cow). It was always worth it to have to work off the pound or so of beer and cheese gut I'd put on from those trips.

Wilson’s cheese shop in Pinconning, MI is pretty damn good if you’re not a Wisconsin boy.

Reactions: MBH

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

I wish my plate was that cool! Mine was just standard plate random digits. Assume it went south on hot vehicle.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thots on free energy suppression???
Free energy suppression conspiracy theory - Wikipedia

Love me a good conspiracy theory.

Goodness.

There's no such thing as free energy. It's physics, not a conspiracy.

However there is a very real smear campaign of cleaner and renewable energy by those that stand to lose their grip on the market. I guess that's expected. What do you expect these rich companies to do, just shrug and go, "Well it was a good run, but making so, so much money isn't worth the cost to the environment, I guess we should close down the mine/factory. Bye everyone!"

Reactions: Konnan511

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Goodness.

There's no such thing as free energy. It's physics, not a conspiracy.

However there is a very real smear campaign of cleaner and renewable energy by those that stand to lose their grip on the market. I guess that's expected. What do you expect these rich companies to do, just shrug and go, "Well it was a good run, but making so, so much money isn't worth the cost to the environment, I guess we should close down the mine/factory. Bye everyone!"
That's what THEY want you to think!!!
1200px-Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's what THEY want you to think!!!
1200px-Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

If you're just memeing whatever, have fun, but there's people that actually believe this stuff sincerely. Understanding the fundamental laws of our universe isn't a typical job requirement or life skill, but it is if you want to talk about energy in a way that isn't science fiction.

The absence of education is a fertile ground for the seeds of misinformation to grow and prosper, even among the highly intelligent.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The absence of education is a fertile ground for the seeds of misinformation to grow and prosper, even among the highly intelligent.
SURE it is, @Bench . And now you're going to tell me that vaccines will get politicized, and science itself will come into question for how to handle a global pandemic.

Pfft...wacko. :D

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If you're just memeing whatever, have fun, but there's people that actually believe this stuff sincerely. Understanding the fundamental laws of our universe isn't a typical job requirement or life skill, but it is if you want to talk about energy in a way that isn't science fiction.

I've always been interested in coverups and what not and thought it was interesting. I just find it hard to believe that some of these technologies don't exist.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I've always been interested in coverups and what not and thought it was interesting. I just find it hard to believe that some of these technologies don't exist.
I think the point was that, while it's certainly possible that more efficient technologies exist and are being suppressed by those profiting from the status quo, there is no such thing as 100% free energy. Even with solar/geothermal/etc. you still have SOME costs and maintenance.

Reactions: Konnan511 and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
SURE it is, @Bench . And now you're going to tell me that vaccines will get politicized, and science itself will come into question for how to handle a global pandemic.

Ho boy. I'll leave some thoughts on this and focus on the most important takeaways and not get into the specific issues.

So the thing is, experts will make mistakes and get things wrong. That's important to note. This is part of the process. They are human, after all. I'm not sure any of us expect perfection, but some use it as a justification to dismiss much in that field as unreliable. That consequently all information, vetted or not, is now equally valid, because the "experts" got it wrong.

“Science is an enterprise of human beings, so there are all sorts of jealousies and rivalries and unwillingness to admit mistakes,” Sagan said. “But the great advantage is that the culture of science is opposed to these frailties, and the collective enterprise of science undoes them. We give our highest rewards to those who disprove the contentions of our most revered figures.”

“There are many hypotheses in science which are wrong,” Sagan once said. “That’s perfectly all right: it’s the aperture to finding out what’s right. Science is a self-correcting process."

This process can move slower than we would like. It's run by humans, remember. But it happens. More often than any other endeavor I can think of.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

"Free energy" or "perpetual energy" doesn't exist. The very notion of it defies physics. And if you think the entire physics world is a global conspiracy spanning generations, I don't know, sure... Let's just call it a day I guess.

I think the point was that, while it's certainly possible that more efficient technologies exist and are being suppressed by those profiting from the status quo, there is no such thing as 100% free energy. Even with solar/geothermal/etc. you still have SOME costs and maintenance.

This exactly. This is the reality of the situation. We have far better options currently at our disposal but the adoption of them is slow and tedious. Partly due to money and greed. Partly because old infrastructure took a long time to set-up and rebuilding it is a massive investment. Partly because people still rely on the jobs those old infrastructures bring. Partly because the old stuff can be more convenient and easier or even cheaper. There's a lot of parts making it so we're not being nearly as progressive and efficient as we could be with our energy creation and usage.

But there's no almost magic energy machine that's being withheld. If such a device existed, Jeff Bezos would be making them and rule the world even more than he already does.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
"Free energy" or "perpetual energy" doesn't exist. The very notion of it defies physics. And if you think the entire physics world is a global conspiracy spanning generations, I don't know, sure... Let's just call it a day I guess.

This exactly. This is the reality of the situation. We have far better options currently at our disposal but the adoption of them is slow and tedious. Partly due to money and greed. Partly because old infrastructure took a long time to set-up and rebuilding it is a massive investment. Partly because people still rely on the jobs those old infrastructures bring. Partly because the old stuff can be more convenient and easier or even cheaper. There's a lot of parts making it so we're not being nearly as progressive and efficient as we could be with our energy creation and usage.

But there's no almost magic energy machine that's being withheld. If such a device existed, Jeff Bezos would be making them and rule the world even more than he already does.
I think the premise is he or anybody else isn't allowed to make them.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the premise is he or anybody else isn't allowed to make them.

That would take a coordinated global conspiracy from literally every government. All of them. If just one place didn't want to play along, it would blow the lid off the entire thing.

Forget Bezos, that's small potatoes. China would be using this on a massive scale and laughing at anyone else not taking advantage as they ran laps around the rest of the world.

There is real information suppression in the world. Like in China. You can't use Google freely in China. The media is controlled. It's all there. We don't need to dive into this fantasy technology stuff to find concrete cover-ups of events.

Just read a few articles about China and Tibet. Then read Chinese publications coverage of it. Last I saw they had newspapers printing the Dalai Lama was flashing women his junk and shooting squirrels with a BB gun for laughs. When the Dalai Lama finally passes, I promise you that China will claim they have found his reincarnation on their soil and that kid is going to be very pro China and live his life as a puppet.

This shit is wild and real. No free energy needed.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That would take a coordinated global conspiracy from literally every government. All of them. If just one place didn't want to play along, it would blow the lid off the entire thing.

Forget Bezos, that's small potatoes. China would be using this on a massive scale and laughing at anyone else not taking advantage as they ran laps around the rest of the world.

There is real information suppression in the world. Like in China. You can't use Google freely in China. The media is controlled. It's all there. We don't need to dive into this fantasy technology stuff to find concrete cover-ups of events.

Just read a few articles about China and Tibet. Then read Chinese publications coverage of it. Last I saw they had newspapers printing the Dalai Lama was flashing women his junk and shooting squirrels with a BB gun for laughs. When the Dalai Lama finally passes, I promise you that China will claim they have found his reincarnation on their soil and that kid is going to be very pro China and live his life as a puppet.

This shit is wild and real. No free energy needed.
From what I remember, ppl higher than the government is "controlling it". The big money makers who "control" other things like certain military funding and what not. Anyways, theres a lot that goes into it. I'm not claiming any of it is real, just interesting is all.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Fundamentally speaking, science is all about questioning. The scientific method itself is based on trying to disprove a supposition rather than prove it. If you stop as soon as what you want to believe is manifested, that's confirmation bias. If you accept something without question, that's dogma. If you suppress the alternatives, that's censorship. Some of the first and a whole lot of the last three has been going on lately.

Reactions: jkutswings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
From what I remember, ppl higher than the government is "controlling it". The big money makers who "control" other things like certain military funding and what not. Anyways, theres a lot that goes into it. I'm not claiming any of it is real, just interesting is all.

Sure. It's interesting the way I think the lore of Hobbiton is interesting. But at least that was meticulously thought out and explained.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As if the "expert" class isn't influenced by shallow politics or the cowardice that prevents people from standing up to overwhelming opinion.

The about-face on the origins of the virus show the idiocy of accepting "expert" opinion. One month, you're banned from social media and labeled an anti-Asian racist for openly wondering if the virus came from the Wuhan Lab. A couple months later, it's suddenly acceptable - despite nothing changing other than who's in office.

This happens in all walks of life.

You can't rely on the "expert" class. They're protecting their revenue. Their jobs. Their fiefdoms. Their grants. Their interests.

When dealing with doctors, you have to be your own health advocate.
If you have an ailment, you have to be armed to the teeth with your own research (thank you Google), because the "experts" have their "processes" (bureaucracy and corporate systems) and they'll slow you down to the point where it might actually kill you if you aren't prepared to advocate for yourself.

When dealing with a mechanic, you can't go in blind or there's a chance you'll get fleeced.

That's not to say that experts can't help. It's to say they should not get your blind faith based on "credentials."

It's to say that, if something is important to you, you owe it yourself to get as much knowledge as your can. And to be prepared to go toe-to-toe with the "expert" in order to advocate for yourself.

Experts touting the supremacy of the credentialed class are laughed off by the true experts.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's to say that, if something is important to you, you owe it yourself to get as much knowledge as your can. And to be prepared to go toe-to-toe with the "expert" in order to advocate for yourself.

Like that time you were showing off your knowledge of a published study and used it to draw conclusions that directly contradicted the opinions of the authors?

The about-face on the origins of the virus show the idiocy of accepting "expert" opinion. One month, you're banned from social media

As someone without Twitter and Facebook, I'm often confused where you're drawing these conclusions, but it's fairly clear at this point you take social media trending items as legitimate public opinion.

It's not. It's not real. It's a cesspool of bots and people stirring up shit. The dumbest and most controversial views get amplified way beyond their actual reach due to the nature of the platforms.

Those platforms are designed to engage and boost engagement from the ground up. Sensationalism wins every time. They aim for addiction. They are not designed to filter good information or harbor reasonable discussion. By continuing to use them and become habitually trained to their engagement strategies, you're altering how you view these topics and as a consequence, the world.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Like that time you were showing off your knowledge of a published study and used it to draw conclusions that directly contradicted the opinions of the authors?

As someone without Twitter and Facebook, I'm often confused where you're drawing these conclusions, but it's fairly clear at this point you take social media trending items as legitimate public opinion.

It's not. It's not real. It's a cesspool of bots and people stirring up shit. The dumbest and most controversial views get amplified way beyond their actual reach due to the nature of the platforms.

Those platforms are designed to engage and boost engagement from the ground up. Sensationalism wins every time. They aim for addiction. They are not designed to filter good information or harbor reasonable discussion. By continuing to use them and become habitually trained to their engagement strategies, you're altering how you view these topics and as a consequence, the world.

Enjoy life in your ivory tower.
I communicate with customers and readers every day on social media.
I build communities of people that have become friends, or that help people solve problems, on social media.

The people I interact with are people - not bots. Though I'm sure many are influenced by bots from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad