OT: Off-Topic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Cards in general. Ever since covid, the card prices have skyrocketed. People were buying everything they could to sell on ebay and what not. Its gotten so bad that Target has stopped carrying them in store. Card grading sites like PSA and Beckett aren't even taking any orders they are so backed up

I only vaguely heard of what an NFT is in the context of sports cards/clips... And it made me so mad, hahaha. JFC, people. This really what we're spending money on? "Digital bragging rights" I think is how someone describes it. Oh well. I guess I'm old.

EDIT: It's like a few years ago when I heard about cryptokitties... Like... Who are these people? Haha.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I only vaguely heard of what an NFT is... And it made me so mad, hahaha. JFC, people. This really what we're spending money on? "Digital bragging rights" I think is how someone describes it. Oh well. I guess I'm old.

It's all temporarily inflated artificial value, too.

If you look back at the history of collectibles that really gained and maintained value, it was items that nobody really knew would be worth anything.

The most valuable Nintendo cartridges aren't the great games, it's the truly awful ones nobody bought so having a complete mint box was rare due to it being seen as junk at the time.

Old baseball cards had value because kids played with them and beat them up. They didn't baby them so the few nice ones left were desirable. Same is true for the old Pokemon cards.

The first Star Wars toys still in boxes. Back then who the hell was buying a kids space toy to put on a shelf? You played with the damn thing and threw it around in the sandbox.

The point being, I don't see a lot of long-term value to the current "collectibles" because that's exactly how they are being marketed. As a collectible and an investment. Soon as the hype dies down, the market on them will crater and the next hype product will replace it.

The next big thing to collect will probably be a failed Apple product still new in box. Who knows. It's always something you don't really expect. I had a Sega Saturn as a kid with a few games. The system was a total flop and nobody wanted it. But today... Well, it's one of the most desired systems for collectors and the games go for insane money.

I think I sold my Sega Saturn system with all the games to get an N64 for like $200 back in the day. A single one of those games I owned sells for about $500 today.

Reactions: RabidBadger

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I think I sold my Sega Saturn system with all the games to get an N64 for like $200 back in the day. A single one of those games I owned sells for about $500 today.

Ugh, it's like...

Two-thousand+eight+hundred+and+eighty+steps+detective+do+me+a+favor+keep+that+kind+of+shit+to+yourself.jpg

And...

Back then who the hell was buying a kids space toy to put on a shelf? You played with the damn thing and threw it around in the sandbox.

This is how naive I am, I guess, but I don't think I've ever bought a single damn thing in my life with the intention of selling it (No, I don't trade stocks).

Yes, I bought that Red Ranger figurine in my mid 30s. Yes it's still in the box. No, I don't plan on selling it (Unless something super ridiculous comes across my eyes because debt is real). But for now it will go on a shelf with other Red Ranger collectibles because that fictional character was one of my heros at the age of 8.

Reactions: Bench

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Speaking of collectibles, I have a binder full of Upper Deck cards from the '05-06 season back home in MI. I believe I have Ovechkin/Lundqvist rookies in it. Are they worth anything?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Speaking of collectibles, I have a binder full of Upper Deck cards from the '05-06 season back home in MI. I believe I have Ovechkin/Lundqvist rookies in it. Are they worth anything?

Best bet is look them up on eBay and see what the sold prices are for them in the past. Asking prices may not reflect real value.

I just looked up a few Belfour cards I had and I'm about to cry over the hundreds and hundreds of bucks I lost (although I would have had to have got them graded) giving them all away to kids when they were worthless. I don't have the heart to look up anymore I remember.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Are they Young Guns cards?
Yeah, these are them:

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Best bet is look them up on eBay and see what the sold prices are for them in the past. Asking prices may not reflect real value.
Looks like Lundqvist is selling for anywhere between $60-$3,500.

AO going for $250-$5,000.

Not bad! Maybe I'll have my brother ship the binder out to me. I also had a massive binder full of Pokemon cards that I gave away when I left MI. Oh well. I hope that holographic Charizard sells for thousands.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, these are them:

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Not bad! Maybe I'll have my brother send the binder out to me. I also had a massive binder full of Pokemon cards that I gave away when I left MI. Oh well. I hope that holographic Charizard sells for thousands.
Is that what they are selling for, or is that what people are asking for them? Two very different things.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, these are them:

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Not bad! Maybe I'll have my brother send the binder out to me. I also had a massive binder full of Pokemon cards that I gave away when I left MI. Oh well.

The reason these cards have value is because people like us gave them away or didn't store them properly or whatever. So don't feel too bad, ha.

But for those one's you still have, to get the good bucks they'll need a professional grade and I'm pretty sure those businesses are swamped right now with a massive queue.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah, these are them:

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Not bad! Maybe I'll have my brother ship the binder out to me. I also had a massive binder full of Pokemon cards that I gave away when I left MI. Oh well. I hope that holographic Charizard sells for thousands.
niiice

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I just looked up a few Belfour cards I had and I'm about to cry over the hundreds and hundreds of bucks I lost (although I would have had to have got them graded) giving them all away to kids when they were worthless. I don't have the heart to look up anymore I remember.
Yeah, but that's good karma back to you by making the kids happy. (I had to give away $15-30K++ worth of '70's, mostly baseball & other sports cards) so I know the feeling.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, but that's good karma back to you by making the kids happy. (I had to give away $15-30K++ worth of '70's, mostly baseball & other sports cards) so I know the feeling.

Too true. It brought joy somewhere.

I never liked collecting, honestly. I don't like keeping and moving stuff. I live pretty minimalist and feel claustrophobic if I have too much stuff laying about.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I never liked collecting, honestly. I don't like keeping and moving stuff. I live pretty minimalist and feel claustrophobic if I have too much stuff laying about.
Not to worry, HF boards is here to alleviate that feeling. Ship all Red Wings & hockey merchandise/cards/jerseys to me, I'll handle the rest so you can live clutter free. :D We can talk about other categories of inventory later.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not to worry, HF boards is here to alleviate that feeling. Ship all Red Wings & hockey merchandise/cards/jerseys to me, I'll handle the rest so you can live clutter free. :D We can talk about other categories of inventory later.

I sold my good Wings gear awhile back, actually. Otherwise I'd absolutely be unloading it on you guys.

The only jersey I kept is an autographed Dallas Stars Avery. A cool guy who worked for the team gave it to me so I've kept it because it still makes me laugh.

Back in Michigan, at my mom's house, I might still have a few odds and ends in a box. I'm finally going back in a few weeks so I'll dig through it and see if there's anything interesting for you folks. I don't recall getting rid of my Hasek jersey from the Czech Republic. That was one of my favorites for a long time. I also bought an autographed Jagr menu from his restaurant in Prague, haha. What a weird piece of memorabilia that is.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

I kind of envy that. I have my collections and I do enjoy them. But that behavior can turn into unintentional collections. For instance, when you get takeout food and soup is part of the meal it comes in a reusable container. Found myself with like 10 of those, haha.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

A minimalist rule that I've adopted though - If you have an item and you really only keep it around for the memories, take a picture of the item and then donate the item. I've done a lot of that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I kind of envy that. I have my collections and I do enjoy them. But that behavior can turn into unintentional collections. For instance, when you get takeout food and soup is part of the meal it comes in a reusable container. Found myself with like 10 of those, haha.

What happened was there was a period awhile ago I moved many times for various reasons and I found I was keeping and moving things I never actually took out of the box. From then on I just started purging. If it sits unused for a year, I'm probably ditching it.

And while this has forced me to repurchase a few items I ditched over the years, and that feeling of regret kinda sucks, the vast majority of the time I've learned it's been a huge benefit for my own sanity.

Now the lady kinda loves hanging onto items so it's been a balancing act. She's definitely more willing to let things sort of live in the space organically.

Right now she has a few deer skulls that she's putting some artistic touches on for display. It's going to look something like this, I believe.

things-to-do-with-animal-skulls.jpg

But yeah, you can imagine my face when I got into the car and there were 3 huge sets of skulls with antlers in the backseat, haha. It's shaping up pretty cool though!

Reactions: FabricDetails

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
But yeah, you can imagine my face when I got into the car and there were 3 huge sets of skulls with antlers in the backseat, haha.

'Tell me "you better not cheat on me" without telling me "you better not cheat on me."'

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
'Tell me "you better not cheat on me" without telling me "you better not cheat on me."'

No kidding.

She has work friends that run a pig farm and they'll eat anything you throw in there. So if I go missing, consider this my bread crumb to solve the mystery.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Getting rid of stuff usually feels better than buying it.

Reactions: RabidBadger

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
No kidding.

She has work friends that run a pig farm and they'll eat anything you throw in there. So if I go missing, consider this my bread crumb to solve the mystery.

Plz to not get "Tiger King'd".

"Good evening everyone, I'm Lester Holt. Tonight's episode of Dateline may complete change the way you think of bacon..."

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Getting rid of stuff usually feels better than buying it.

Amen to that. If I can donate a Hefty bag of useful things to the thrift store I am on cloud 9. I try to live like a Mongolian nomad (in my own modern American way): you have your dog, your yurt, and whatever provisions your horse can carry. I reflect fondly on the time I moved out of state in my 20s and all my earthly possesions fit in the back seat of my Honda Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad