OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I probably would have ducked inside and run to a window to watch.

I hope the person who shot at them is punished accordingly.

I agree. It’s a tough time to be a cop in Minnesota and I’m sure the stress level is high - but losing your cool isn’t helping anything.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Them yelling “light them up” is what really pissed me off. They think they’re playing a game.

That’s the exact same take away i had

also your username has ALWAYS caused me to do a double take because my initials are CDJ. all this time.

Reactions: Alicat

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
and I don’t want my statements to be an indictment on cops as a whole, I’ve got family members and friends who are police. They are disgusted with what happened. I think the majority of police have pure intentions. But we are at a point where I think many lack the proper training, and/or got into it for power, and/or don’t have the mentality to handle the pressure that comes with the job. And now this gets exposed more often in these modern times where everybody has a camera on them at all times.

The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement

I also thought this was interesting

For sure a problem,. Racists are everywhere, and in the police department they can actually do damage to civilians...scary.

Reactions: Ladyfan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Right and I’m saying you don’t have to kill people to be a bad cop. Hell we just learned that with the incident this week. Those 3 men didn’t kill the guy. They just watched it happen and were ok with it

Not to dig too deeply, but how do you know those three were OK with it? Law enforcement is heavily militarized with a chain of command etc. Being a new officer challenging an officer with nearly 20 years especially on camera may not have seemed a wise idea in the moment.

Those three deserve something undoubtedly, but the only one who we know intended murder is the officer who committed murder.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not to dig too deeply, but how do you know those three were OK with it? Law enforcement is heavily militarized with a chain of command etc. Being a new officer challenging an officer with nearly 20 years especially on camera may not have seemed a wise idea in the moment.

Those three deserve something undoubtedly, but the only one who we know intended murder is the officer who committed murder.
That's the problem right there - it's not about individual bad apples, its a system designed to pressure apples into going bad. It's a system supported and designed by certain populations to promote their interests by harming and intimidating other populations.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Again, 49% of people killed by the police are white. Obviously there are more white than other races, and there is an obvious problem, with some officers (less than 1%?) and their treatment of minorities. It's disgusting and they should be off the job,. That doesn't mean however, you should go try to hurt cops in other cities and towns who are just doing their job, Violent riots take focus off the matter and it gets lost. Peaceful, vigilant protesting and continuous pressure on the state and local governments from community leaders gets things done....Instead of news channels having news conferences with family and community leaders putting pressure where it needs to be applied, they show the riots which fuels nothing but more hate and more riots. Not a week of burning down your own city and breaking shit. Yeah might make you feel better in the moment but long term reactions like that get people no where. To quote Martin Luther King Jr...

Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love... Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man, but to win his friendship and understanding. ... In fact, violence merely increases hate.

Sadly maybe it's too late for this.
People have been peacefully protesting this issue for years and years yet here we are still discussing the same issue in 2020. I dont really agree about destroying property and beating people up, but at the same time I cant tell black people how to show their emotions on an issue that has plagued them their whole life. I'm not sure any of us can say if it was our brothers, sisters, kids or parents dying from brutality year after year, and not receiving proper justice, that we wouldnt be out there doing the same shit.

And you're right, they shouldn't be out there trying to hurt cops by painting them all as the same as one - but black people are continually brutalized because one cop paints them as all the same, so maybe this is some form of karma for complacent cops who maybe dont hurt people, but also dont stand up for change either.

Reactions: Hali33

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Being silent IS being okay with it. If their two options are stop an injustice happening literally in front of their face, or risk getting in trouble from a higher up and they choose to save themselves, then they are not becoming police for the right reasons.

Reactions: Bocephus86

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
People have been peacefully protesting this issue for years and years yet here we are still discussing the same issue in 2020. I dont really agree about destroying property and beating people up, but at the same time I cant tell black people how to show their emotions on an issue that has plagued them their whole life. I'm not sure any of us can say if it was our brothers, sisters, kids or parents dying from brutality year after year, and not receiving proper justice, that we wouldnt be out there doing the same shit.

And you're right, they shouldn't be out there trying to hurt cops by painting them all as the same as one - but black people are continually brutalized because one cop paints them as all the same, so maybe this is some form of karma for complacent cops who maybe dont hurt people, but also dont stand up for change either.

Pretty ignorant statement...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Being silent IS being okay with it. If their two options are stop an injustice happening literally in front of their face, or risk getting in trouble from a higher up and they choose to save themselves, then they are not becoming police for the right reasons.

There is actually a human element to being a cop and until you're in a situation there is no way of telling how you would react. It's certainly not how it is taught, but the psychological exam to become an officer is pretty intense, so again, there is no way to definitvelytell how one reacts until the situation arises... you just hope they would have done better for sure.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Easy to type that behind a computer, no?

Reactions: LouJersey

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
5AAE36C9-DFA9-4785-B11A-B981A3AA29A6.jpeg

Sure lotta people in here who want this to be a police state.

And the point is you’re blaming the victim in a scenario where they did nothing wrong, they are standing on their porch doing absolutely nothing

1940s Germany.....

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So a rapist vs a law enforcement officer telling you to go inside (which in this case may have been the law depending upon what was going on, which you know you have to listen to)...Not sure what the protocol is.
Blaming the victims of assault.

There’s nothing there to show any lawful reason for commanding people off of their porch and then shoot at them for not complying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad