OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
They're literally hired for a job where they are supposed to save people's lives and help people.

We shouldn't expect them to be able to do the definition of their job? It's harder than that?

It may be, yes... should it be? No.

There are many police officers who may have stepped in, who knows. But there is definitely not the culture in the military and seemingly law enforcement, for a junior officer to stand up to a senior.

Perhaps the system itself does need change as someone here said. How that will be done... not easily!

And perhaps it is possible those other three officers were OK with it which would be very disturbing that four out of four are all bad officers and bad people...

Edit: also don't forget many police officers were former military. Chain of command is a major factor.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It may be, yes... should it be? No.

There are many police officers who may have stepped in, who knows. But there is definitely not the culture in the military and seemingly law enforcement, for a junior officer to stand up to a senior.

Perhaps the system itself does need change as someone here said. How that will be done... not easily!

And perhaps it is possible those other three officers were OK with it which would be very disturbing that four out of four are all bad officers and bad people...
Fair enough, I accept that the issue may not be the individual and I do agree it is the system that needs to be changed. Glad its not my job to figure out how.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't trust cops and feel tense and paranoid when I see a cop car behind me on the highway even if I'm going under the speed limit, and I'm a white middle class person. So I definitely get it. And there clearly needs to be some reform in policing at a structural level, but anarchy and chaos seems a bad alternative to me.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Fair enough, I accept that the issue may not be the individual and I do agree it is the system that needs to be changed. Glad its not my job to figure out how.

It sounds like some departments will have it easier than others. I sympathize with the good officers who now have their jobs made even more difficult because of the bad ones... very hard job to do when a real situation arises.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I don’t recall any police lighting up innocent bystanders who are standing on their porch when out looking for Tsarnaev

what a dumb argument lol

Lol, lighting up, they were paint balls, people pay good money to be shot by them.

They had 30mic and pepper too

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Curfews prohibit public space - not private.
I am not certain that is correct. All cities and municipalities have their own regulations and I couldn’t find a direct definition but some of the general ones I saw specified staying inside your residence during curfew. With the police ordering everyone inside I assume that is what was in effect there. However, actually shooting at them even with rubber bullets or whatever they were using is not right.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
pretty easy to do to

“Hey man that guys unconscious maybe get off of him”

boom, mission accomplished

So now we’re defending cops that allow colleagues to murder people and fire on civilians standing there doing nothing

I’m not gonna argue with you guys anymore. This is pathetic

Officer three made more than one suggestion to stop, officer one refused

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lol, lighting up, they were paint balls, people pay good money to be shot by them.

They had 30mic and pepper too

The video was posted at 930 so I'm not sure what time it happened and I believe there is a state of emergency and 8pm curfew where residents are to be in the house...also that could have been members of the National Guard shooting so who knows.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I am not certain that is correct. All cities and municipalities have their own regulations and I couldn’t find a direct definition but some of the general ones I saw specified staying inside your residence during curfew. With the police ordering everyone inside I assume that is what was in effect there. However, actually shooting at them even with rubber bullets or whatever they were using is not right.
It is correct - according to the curfew order in this case.

Now I’m sure everyone who assumed the opposite is going to change their view :laugh:

FWIW there are a lot of police departments doing the right thing in these protests and standing with the people they are to serve and protect.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't trust cops and feel tense and paranoid when I see a cop car behind me on the highway even if I'm going under the speed limit, and I'm a white middle class person. So I definitely get it. And there clearly needs to be some reform in policing at a structural level, but anarchy and chaos seems a bad alternative to me.

I think that is a normal reaction for most. There is clearly racial profiling with traffic stops and stop and frisk and that needs to change. The good cops run your plates when they are behind you and if there is nothing you're good to go, unless you have a tail light or head light out you're good to go in most cases. There are bad apples though for sure.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Now I’m sure everyone who assumed the opposite is going to change their view :laugh:

FWIW there are a lot of police departments doing the right thing in these protests and standing with the people they are to serve and protect.

I've said it the whole time, if the cops had no right to tell them to go inside they should face consequences, still haven't seen anyone say that's the case.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I've said it the whole time, if the cops had no right to tell them to go inside they should face consequences, still haven't seen anyone say that's the case.

We’ve seen cops all over the country having things thrown at them.

my guess is they were telling people to go in to avoid that.

I just don’t see the horror in this situation of them telling people to go in and people simply complying.

I don’t agree with shooting anything at them.

this apparently makes me unamerican and a Nazi.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We’ve seen cops all over the country having things thrown at them.

my guess is they were telling people to go in to avoid that.

I just don’t see the horror in this situation of them telling people to go in and people simply complying.

I don’t agree with shooting anything at them.

this apparently makes me unamerican and a Nazi.

yes you are awful. How dare you not agree with an HF poster.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
We were allowed to be on our porches during that and they ended up pulling him out of that boat 1/4 mile from our house.

I’m sure you are going to change your opinion now....

Since this is the off topic thread, I'll follow up with this. I'm surprised they allowed you outside with the possibility of live rounds being fired. Or was this after the area was cleared?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Saw the Flint PD doing that. Was heartwarming to see.

I’m glad they have the sense to not shoot at civilians standing on their porch doing absolutely nothing

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->