OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIV - Can we get a refund for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
thats it in a nutshell.....
Years of false promises and minimizing or ignoring outright this issue. Even vilifying.
Anyone would only take so much.

Exactly.”But the guy who killed George Floyd was arrested.”

All the years of police brutality that have been caught on camera, and those that have not, don’t just go away because one officer was charged with murder. It’s sad but it’s hard to be surprised.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would have gone inside and let the cops move on down the road, but I guess that would have been too easy...

Theyre standing on their porch doing nothing. Not violating a single law.

Hey if you want to live in a police state by all means, that’s incredibly unamerican if you ask me tho. Those officers are pigs who think they’re playing call of duty

Reactions: Bocephus86

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Exactly.”But the guy who killed George Floyd was arrested.”

All the years of police brutality that have been caught on camera, and those that have not, don’t just go away because one officer was charged with murder. It’s sad but it’s hard to be surprised.

not to mention most of the ones who get charged with murder get off

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Pretty much

I’ll also say non-peaceful riots get people’s attention....it has since the days where our ancestors fought for our independence. I’m not condoning it (I mean I’m in my room right now) but let’s not pretend like this hasn’t worked before. Change doesn’t really start to happen until you start impacting the wealthy’s pockets- whether you dump a f*** ton of tea into the ocean or burn down a Target.

This is years worth of pent up frustration and anger coming out and I get it. This is what happens when you treat people like animals.

“Things just ain't the same for gangstas
Cops is anxious to put n***** in handcuffs
They wanna hang us, see us dead, or enslave us
Keep us trapped in the same place we was raised in
Then they wonder why we act so outrageous
Run around stressed out and pull out gauges
'Cause every time you let the animal out cages
It's dangerous to people who look like strangers”

Thats Doctor Dre from decades ago, off The Watcher. Its still relevant. That’s how they genuinely feel. And you know what? I do not blame them

Again, 49% of people killed by the police are white. Obviously there are more white than other races, and there is an obvious problem, with some officers (less than 1%?) and their treatment of minorities. It's disgusting and they should be off the job,. That doesn't mean however, you should go try to hurt cops in other cities and towns who are just doing their job, Violent riots take focus off the matter and it gets lost. Peaceful, vigilant protesting and continuous pressure on the state and local governments from community leaders gets things done....Instead of news channels having news conferences with family and community leaders putting pressure where it needs to be applied, they show the riots which fuels nothing but more hate and more riots. Not a week of burning down your own city and breaking shit. Yeah might make you feel better in the moment but long term reactions like that get people no where. To quote Martin Luther King Jr...

Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love... Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man, but to win his friendship and understanding. ... In fact, violence merely increases hate.

Sadly maybe it's too late for this.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Theyre standing on their porch doing nothing

Hey if you want to live in a police state by all means, that’s incredible unamerican if you ask me tho

Usually when a cop tells you to go inside, it’s for your protection as well as theirs. These guys are in riot gear, by all means don’t listen to them.

About 15 years ago I was cooking on the grill in my backyard on my patio.

All of a sudden I’ve got a cop with his gun drawn telling me to go inside and lock my door. I guess I didn’t need to listen to him, I’m in my yard, right?

someone robbed a Cumberland farms a few blocks away and they caught him hiding out a few doors down..

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usually when a cop tells you to go inside, it’s for your protection as well as theirs. These guys are in riot gear, by all means don’t listen to them.

All of a sudden I’ve got a cop with his gun drawn telling me to go inside and lock my door. I guess I didn’t need to listen to him, I’m in my yard, right?

someone robbed a Cumberland farms a few blocks away and they caught him hiding out a few doors down..

yeah so they kept them safe by shooting at them when they’re standing on their own property
A51FF2A1-92E8-425C-8ED7-5DD0EE3F2C12.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Again, 49% of people killed by the police are white. Obviously there are more white than other races, and there is an obvious problem, with some officers (less than 1%?) and their treatment of minorities. It's disgusting and they should be off the job,. That doesn't mean however, you should go try to hurt cops in other cities and towns who are just doing their job, Violent riots take focus off the matter and it gets lost. Peaceful, vigilant protesting and continuous pressure on the state and local governments from community leaders gets things done....Instead of news channels having news conferences with family and community leaders putting pressure where it needs to be applied, they show the riots which fuels nothing but more hate and more riots. Not a week of burning down your own city and breaking shit. Yeah might make you feel better in the moment but long term reactions like that get people no where. To quote Martin Luther King Jr...

Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love... Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man, but to win his friendship and understanding. ... In fact, violence merely increases hate.

Sadly maybe it's too late for this.

Far too late unfortunately imo

And you already pointed out why 49% of them being White is actually kind of alarming given how many white people are in the country

And I do understand that most cops are trying to do their best. But I think the problem is larger than 1%

Reactions: Ladyfan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
you’ve got a dozen cops in riot gear telling you to go inside, I’d duck inside and let them pass.
I'd tell them to go f*** themselves because I'm on private property minding my own business, posing no threat. If I am in a violent protest throwing things at cops and guardsmen then, sure, I deserve what comes my way. I care too much about this country to become a boot licker. People who follow the rule of law should not be bullied.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
it shouldn’t happen period, do you not get that point?

1940s Germany would have LOVED you. Blindly follow those orders!

My old man gave me advice on how to deal with the cops and it’s served me well.

I guess that makes me a Nazi or something.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

In some states they are allowed to tell you to go inside, especially when there are riots going on. I'm not sure if it's against the law to disobey them however.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The point is that if you are on your own property just watching they have no business firing rubber bullets at you.

firing the bullets was definitely unnecessary, I’m not defending that. I just would have gone inside where the people with the guns aren’t.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
there are over 800,000 officers in the USA.... in 2019 1,004 people were killed... or 0.001255 percent of officers killed someone, and these are all reasons....doesn't say how many were warranted.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
In some states they are allowed to tell you to go inside, especially when there are riots going on. I'm not sure if it's against the law to disobey them however.
There wasn't a riot in this particular neighborhood. They were passing through with a tank and these people went on their porch to watch and instead of taking a de-escalating approach to get them to comply, they shot rubber bullets at them.

The officer could have gone over to the fence and said you need to get inside as there is something happening and I bet they would have happily complied even tho they technically don't have to.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
firing the bullets was definitely unnecessary, I’m not defending that. I just would have gone inside where the people with the guns aren’t.
I think the officer could have gone over to them to tell them to go inside because something was happening.

The overall issue is that cops were shooting at random people for no reason whether it be journalists or citizens on their own property.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
there are over 800,000 officers in the USA.... in 2019 1,004 people were killed... or 0.001255 percent of officers killed someone, and these are all reasons....doesn't say how many were warranted.

Right and I’m saying you don’t have to kill people to be a bad cop. Hell we just learned that with the incident this week. Those 3 men didn’t kill the guy. They just watched it happen and were ok with it

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Right and I’m saying you don’t have to kill people to be a bad cop. Hell we just learned that with the incident this week. Those 3 men didn’t kill the guy. They just watched it happen and were ok with it
God I hope they get charged this week

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I think the officer could have gone over to them to tell them to go inside because something was happening.

The overall issue is that cops were shooting at random people for no reason whether it be journalists or citizens on their own property.

He absolutely could have done a better job and I’m not cool with shooting them with bullets.

I personally would have ducked inside with my family where it’s safe.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That is for sure.

and I don’t want my statements to be an indictment on cops as a whole, I’ve got family members and friends who are police. They are disgusted with what happened. I think the majority of police have pure intentions. But we are at a point where I think many lack the proper training, and/or got into it for power, and/or don’t have the mentality to handle the pressure that comes with the job. And now this gets exposed more often in these modern times where everybody has a camera on them at all times.

The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement

I also thought this was interesting

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
He absolutely could have done a better job and I’m not cool with shooting them with bullets.

I personally would have ducked inside with my family where it’s safe.
I probably would have ducked inside and run to a window to watch.

I hope the person who shot at them is punished accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad