OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXII - RIP Kenny Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
My brother in law was stationed where it was filmed (Astoria OR) during the 30 year anniversary for it and all the stars came back for the festivities. When I told him I'd never seen it, he lost his mind too. :laugh:

My nieces and nephews have all seen it too and think I'm crazy for not wanting to.
you need to watch it. Trust me you are going to love Chunk.

Francis: Tell us everything! Everything!
Chunk: Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog...

i was shocked how well it held up when i had my daughters watch it.

Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
the titanic

All of the Star Wars. <——- the one I get shit for
i am with you on the first two never seen them.

but Star Wars.

man i am finding all kinds of posters i can't like anymore today due to movies they wont watch.

politics are what they are we can have different views and I can accept that.

never seeing Star Wars is another level entirely and unforgivable.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

but Star Wars.

man i am finding all kinds of posters i can't like anymore today due to movies they wont watch.

:laugh:

see, I told you I get shit on for that one! It’s deserved

actually I should make an amendment- I’ve seen the last Jedi lol. So maybe it’s even worse that I’ve seen only one and it was that one

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

see, I told you I get shit on for that one! It’s deserved

actually I should make an amendment- I’ve seen the last Jedi lol. So maybe it’s even worse that I’ve seen only one and it was that one
yes its worse because that was one of the worst movies. ugh now that you are stuck in the house you need to watch at least the original 3 and then you can be forgiven.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
yes its worse because that was one of the worst movies. ugh now that you are stuck in the house you need to watch at least the original 3 and then you can be forgiven.

I’ve really got no excuse now, shit

I have seen all of lord of the rings and Harry Potter tho, so that’s 2/3 of the nerd trifecta at least

Reactions: Scotto74

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I know quotes from it, but I've never watched The Princess Bride in its entirety. Don't expect I'll ever have the desire to do so.

I was in my thirties before I saw It's a Wonderful Life.

I've never seen Avatar.

I have watched Star Wars but give me the original trilogy any day.

Top Gun was the first movie my family ever rented on VHS. From Erol's video store. I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming sequel.

Miracle is the best hockey movie.

I've not seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies.

I have never read or watched anything related to Harry Potter.

Flame away, but remember, I have the cookies!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

but Star Wars.

There are certain movies you must show your kids. It's child abuse if you don't. I was 8 when Star Wars came out, so naturally I watched them with my children....son loved them, daughter not so much....and that's ok, although she's out of my will, they can make their own decisions

Reactions: Scotto74

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There are certain movies you must show your kids. It's child abuse if you don't. I was 8 when Star Wars came out, so naturally I watched them with my children....son loved them, daughter not so much....and that's ok, although she's out of my will, they can make their own decisions
When I think of the original Star Wars toys we had growing up, and what they'd be worth now had we kept them..... :facepalm: :laugh:

I can still picture the rinky-dink run-down mall theatre we saw all three in. No stadium seating, no "butter your own popcorn" option.... But it also didn't cost $80 for my brother and I to see it. :laugh:

Reactions: rfournier103

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I know quotes from it, but I've never watched The Princess Bride in its entirety. Don't expect I'll ever have the desire to do so.

I was in my thirties before I saw It's a Wonderful Life.

I've never seen Avatar.

I have watched Star Wars but give me the original trilogy any day.

Top Gun was the first movie my family ever rented on VHS. From Erol's video store. I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming sequel.

Miracle is the best hockey movie.

I've not seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies.

I have never read or watched anything related to Harry Potter.

Flame away, but remember, I have the cookies!

my middle school operated in teams of 4 teachers/classrooms and ours had us watch princess bride one day

I don’t think there was any reason behind it other than they wanted to watch it. I’m glad it happened

Also slapshot > miracle for me. Love em both tho.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
again had my daughters watch the Princess Bride and they loved it.

i had them watch all the movies from the 80s and they like them all.

they don't make them like that anymore

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Showed my daughter Ferris Bueller's Day Off a few months ago, and oddly enough, she loved it. Forgot how many bad words and suggestive things were in that movie and after she watched it I realized I probably shouldn't have.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I got the original (IV, V and VI) trilogy on VHS for Christmas or my birthday just around the time we moved to SoCal and my oldest was not yet quite 4. He discovered the movies, and watched some (sometimes just a few minutes) or all of one of those movies every single day for the better part of nine months. At least I know I raised him right!

Reactions: LouJersey

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1585080189663.jpg

Reactions: sooshii

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Mystery Alaska is #1 for me. That's such an underrated story and gave the world @Donnie Shulzhoffer

View attachment 338909

I agree. Mystery got absolutely canned by the critics but I think it's a really solid little film. Tells a good story, doesn't lay on the schmaltz too thick, and the actual hockey scenes are well shot. Definitely worth a watch.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

meanwhile I’ve seen shit like BASEketball and Kangaroo Jack

Baseketball is hilarious, although it's probably an acquired taste.

Avatar was horrible. Visually impressive for sure, but the plot was just a long, dull series of awful cliches. Definitely don't recommend it.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think my kids liked "The Princess Bride" as much as I wanted them to.

Princess Bride is my wife's favorite movie. When you view it dispassionately though, without the nostalgia, it's a decidedly odd film and it's very 80s. It really shouldn't work anywhere near as well as it somehow does. So it's excellent if you get it, but I can definitely see why some people, especially younger folk, are just left scratching their heads at it.

Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad